Strait signs two-way contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Strait signs two-way contract

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 am

Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Strait signs two-way contract

Postby MrBrightside on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 am

Does this mean he can be sent to WBS without having to clear waivers? Or is he still subject to being claimed if demoted?
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 am

he'll still have to clear waivers
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 am

Like JC said, he does require waivers. But it there seems to be a degree of confidence that he wouldn't be claimed if he was sent down.

"So why does Strait even accept a two-way deal if he requires waivers to go down?"

- I believe it would have to do with re-entry waiver eligibility. If he makes $105,000 or less in the minors, he won't require re-entry waivers...the d-men that don't require re-entry waivers are more likely to be called up...a calculated career move by Strait, might take a little less money if he goes down at first, but he leaves himself an opportunity to get recalled...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 am

Well, this sure puts me at ease about our D. We should be good to go now. :pop:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Start planning the parade?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Three Stars on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Does Sneep have a contract?
He was good material for the GDTs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Strait cash homie
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Three Stars wrote:http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58188&p=2070618&hilit=+strait+up+#p2070618

Welcome back?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm interested to see what their plans are for him next year.

He's not bad but I don't think I'd really care if he was lost on waivers.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm

what's the appropriate reaction if we lose him on waivers? i'm not really sure.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:what's the appropriate reaction if we lose him on waivers? i'm not really sure.

"Good luck"
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:what's the appropriate reaction if we lose him on waivers? i'm not really sure.

If it's anything like the reaction when we lost rookie all-star Nick Johnson, Shero better build a moat.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm

columbia wrote:

"Good luck"

i guess maybe he would be considered the nick johnson of our defenseman pool?

i liked strait last year. he had one abomination of a game (maybe it was against st louis?), but overall, i thought he looked promising. hard to tell though, since he was so insulated, but in the ice time he was given, against the competition he was given, he looked like he belonged in a #6 role.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm

If anyone's counting, we're still waiting on Tangradi, Bortuzzo, and Grant in the RFA pool.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:44 pm

"Toodles."
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Corvidae wrote:

If it's anything like the reaction when we lost rookie all-star Nick Johnson, Shero better build a moat.

The problem with losing Johsnon was that he looked good the year before and there was no reason to lose him at all for nothing. They had a roster of 22 players opening night and that included MacIntyre. Waiving Johsnon at the time was stupid. It wasn't even a numbers game. Shero chose to waive him for the sake of waiving him. And how could he have not seen that Fletcher and Yeo wanted him? Work out a trade then. Then moving Letestu for a draft pick left even less depth up front.

Granted, Johnson fizzled out and we could ahve picked him up again for nothing but that's not really the point. It was a mismanagement of assets.

If we lose Starit on waivers it should be because he was outside the top 8 or 9 in defensemen on the team and Dumoulin, Bortuzzo and/or Morrow grossly outplayed him..

If we lose him because Shero demotes him even with having a roster spot open then I will be a bit upset.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I'd only be upset if Shero drops him to WBS in favor of some random dude who's only claim to fame is not being a rookie.

That's why I'm suspicious of the Dylan Reese signing.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:56 pm

DelPen wrote:
Granted, Johnson fizzled out and we could ahve picked him up again for nothing but that's not really the point. It was a mismanagement of assets.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "assets" if he didn't live up to previous performance and fizzled out
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

I think it was worth waving him just to see the butt hurt people who were penciling him in on Malkin's line.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:58 pm

- Johnson had no intrinsic value. Which is why he wasn't even given a qualifying offer by the team that claimed him. Then had to take a two-way contract in unrestricted free agency. It's a justification of Shero's move. Shero didn't do anything wrong. You can't be sure you'd even get a 7th round pick for someone like Johnson and even if you could, you probably wouldn't...

- Keeping him as the 23rd player on a 20 man roster is probably a bigger waste of an asset than losing him on waivers. Just keeping a player as a scratch trying to either a) plug a square peg into a round hole or b) trying to grind out a 7th round pick or failing prospect out of a resident farm hand is not something a quality, upstanding GM would do. By waiving him, Shero is saying he's not ready for the NHL on a contending team, he would be worthwhile on the AHL team...which is agreeable. Meanwhile, by waiving him he gets the option to claim him off waivers and send him down (freely) if the claiming team (Minnesota) were to put him on waivers themselves...

- Shero has a good reputation with players. He doesn't try to squeeze players. He's very accomodating. Libor Pivko, didn't try to make a fuss and stick him on the fourth line or in the AHL...gave him shot, said, "if you don't make the big lines, we'll let you go home", John LeClair: worked out a mutual release so he could continue his career if another team saw him fit; Mark Recchi: Accomodated him very well and allowed him to move on to Atlanta; it appears that he may have done the same with Michalek, sending him back to where he wanted to go at a reduced cost (a 3rd). You don't just hold on to a kid like Johnson just to hold on to him, you're responsible for that player's development too, at a crucial time like this, you can literally hold his career in your hands. You can scratch him 62 times and let him play 20 games on the fourth line and then let him go at the end of the year with no hope of getting a contract really, or you can let him have a chance to be a top-line player in the AHL OR if another deems him good enough, let him play there. Which he did, and Johnson proved to be nothing...but thankful.

- Can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Sydor as well IIRC ^
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 pm

DelPen wrote:
Corvidae wrote:

The problem with losing Johsnon was that he looked good the year before and there was no reason to lose him at all for nothing. They had a roster of 22 players opening night and that included MacIntyre. Waiving Johsnon at the time was stupid. It wasn't even a numbers game. Shero chose to waive him for the sake of waiving him. And how could he have not seen that Fletcher and Yeo wanted him? Work out a trade then. Then moving Letestu for a draft pick left even less depth up front.

If we lose Starit on waivers it should be because he was outside the top 8 or 9 in defensemen on the team and Dumoulin, Bortuzzo and/or Morrow grossly outplayed him..

If we lose him because Shero demotes him even with having a roster spot open then I will be a bit upset.

None of these guys really matter anyway according to most on this board. Fringe NHLers and dime a dozen scrubs.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

columbia wrote:

"Good luck"

8-) :lol:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins