Thoughts on Weber...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thoughts on Weber...

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:12 pm

If they survive year one, even with year 2 being rough, gotta think they just keep him. I hope he spends his career losing in the first round in Nashville.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If they survive year one, even with year 2 being rough, gotta think they just keep him. I hope he spends his career losing in the first round in Nashville.

Since they made it to Round 2 the last two years while the Pens didn't.........
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If they survive year one, even with year 2 being rough, gotta think they just keep him. I hope he spends his career losing in the first round in Nashville.

No reason to move him after all the bonus money has been paid. Hope he likes Nashville.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

brwi wrote:

Since they made it to Round 2 the last two years while the Pens didn't.........

With far and away the best defensive pairing in the league. A pairing that played half a game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 pm

pfim wrote:

No reason to move him after all the bonus money has been paid. Hope he likes Nashville.

Exactly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Even if he doesn't want to be there, he very well knew the risk of signing that offer sheet.
And if he truly didn't want to be there, he should have signed a 1 year deal and split at that point.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:12 pm

And to think you (collective) wasted all that time having a coronary because Weber signed the offer sheet.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 pm

columbia wrote:Even if he doesn't want to be there, he very well knew the risk of signing that offer sheet.
And if he truly didn't want to be there, he should have signed a 1 year deal and split at that point.

From Weber's perspective, this was the ultimate win-win. He got a deal before the new CBA and his present team/city that he obviously likes enough to live there full-time on a pretty nice spread and either they match it or he goes to the Flyers who aren't the dregs of the NHL and won't be anytime soon. Instead of even more negotiation with Nashville that hasn't led to a long-term deal in the last two years despite a lot of trying, signing the offer sheet mean "here's the deal...no more arbitration...no more one year bit." Plus, it's heavily front-loaded and he can invest that money now rather than later and have it working for him instantly.

Tomorrow athe press conference and conference call, Weber will have to do a little selling to convince the fans of Nashville that he's happy to still be there and that should be easy because I think weber was going to be happy either way it turned out.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:02 am

As a passionate fan of the Pens, I think its fine to show a little "emotion" at your team's biggest rival signing a "star" player.

And I also think its okay for fans to poke fun at those fans who are a little to "emo" regarding this (and other things).

However, when the rival gets "punked", its time to cue the dancing banana... where is that gif when you need it!!!!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 am

Penspal wrote:However, when the rival gets "punked", its time to cue the dancing banana... where is that gif when you need it!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:16 am

Glad to see Poile matched. I'm sure it was reviewed by the league, but I'm surprised we didn't hear more conversation about the legality of the contract...bonus money was insane.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to NPR