You're the GM: Part 3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:50 am

It's still not a given what that final cap number will be, but I also never expected Michalek to get shipped out to try and make room for Suter/Parise. I really think we're heading into a transition period on D. Several of these prospects we have will begin moving into the NHL within the next 1-3 years. Perhaps we won't be outright contenders right away, but the long-term payoff could be quite good.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:00 pm

jogr4909 wrote:It is stinky so far.... GMRS needs to do what he has been effective at- TRADES to meet the team needs.

I think many people are underestimating the Staal trade and the acquisition Vokoun.

Obviously the Staal trade wasn't one intended to make the team better, it was done to curb future issues. People here take this trade for granted when it could have easily been a disaster. How many times in this league have we seen top level players traded for garbage roster players and busted prospects? I'm sure we all remember the Hossa trade? That was a pretty masterful trade. Teams in the position of having to trade away one of their top players are not in the position of being picky.

Shero has been excellent and I still think people grossly underestimate the Pens getting Vokoun and how profound of an effect it will have on the team. Not many teams get to have a real goalie tandem.

Shero will do what he needs to do to fill the holes he needs to. He's also NOT in a position to just trade away pieces. Whatever trade he completes will need to be done very carefully.

My hope is that he can somehow bring in Curtis Glencross from Calgary. I'm not sure what he'd have to trade to get it, but I'd love to see it get done.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 pm

If I was the GM this summer, my hair would probably have turned white overnight.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jogr4909 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:06 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
jogr4909 wrote:It is stinky so far.... GMRS needs to do what he has been effective at- TRADES to meet the team needs.

I think many people are underestimating the Staal trade and the acquisition Vokoun.

Obviously the Staal trade wasn't one intended to make the team better, it was done to curb future issues. People here take this trade for granted when it could have easily been a disaster. How many times in this league have we seen top level players traded for garbage roster players and busted prospects? I'm sure we all remember the Hossa trade? That was a pretty masterful trade. Teams in the position of having to trade away one of their top players are not in the position of being picky.

Shero has been excellent and I still think people grossly underestimate the Pens getting Vokoun and how profound of an effect it will have on the team. Not many teams get to have a real goalie tandem.

Shero will do what he needs to do to fill the holes he needs to. He's also NOT in a position to just trade away pieces. Whatever trade he completes will need to be done very carefully.

Agree on Voukoun. GMRS did get good value back on Staal in tough situation. Where I believe things are rough are not having a big D man to clear crease and hit people and a top 6 winger for Sid. GMRS and HCDB saying TK, bennett, or Tangradi for top 6 is insulting to fans at this point. There is still time though, I just would not wait till season starts.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:57 pm

@jogr,

Agreed and to be fair we did get Gill at the deadline who was our big force infront of Fleury. A big defensive pickup like that is more logical at the trade deadline.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:03 pm

The market had really tightened up since then.
What did Gill cost, a 5th rounder?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:04 pm

columbia wrote:The market had really tightened up since then.
What did Gill cost, a 5th rounder?

2nd and a fifth.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 am

Organizationally wise, we are set at Defense and Goaltending.

We have zero depth at forward though. Next step is to convert some of these extra defensemen into AHL forwards who might have some upside, but get something for instead of potentially losing guys on waivers.

Also need to see Jeffrey traded for a grinder. Columbus too Letestu, someone else that sucks might be better off with Jeffrey and we need another strong 4th liner.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 am

DelPen wrote:Organizationally wise, we are set at Defense and Goaltending.

We have zero depth at forward though. Next step is to convert some of these extra defensemen into AHL forwards who might have some upside, but get something for instead of potentially losing guys on waivers.

Also need to see Jeffrey traded for a grinder. Columbus too Letestu, someone else that sucks might be better off with Jeffrey and we need another strong 4th liner.

Being thin at forward prospect wise is not a terrible thing. Draft D, trade for forwards seems to be Shero's mantra.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 am

Since this thread allows me to be Shero, I don't see the possibility of a trade that helps the team this year.
Sure we have a nice crop of prospects at D, but none of them will bring in a legitimate young forward, who is ready to play.

There might be another minor signing before the season starts, but I think we are basically seeing the roster that will start the season.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 am

It has worked twice now, its not something I like counting on. And we're not talking trading prospcts for nhl players, we're talking about trading guys with a couple years under their belt. Are you interested in trading Depres or Morrow in a couple years? Or are you talking Letang now? Guys with fractions of an NHL season under their belts aren't going to get it done. Proven NHLers might.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Trade mediocre D for mediocre offense that fit roles we need in Pittsburgh and WBS.

Lovejoy should be able to bring back a guy who can play 40 games ont he 4th line for 6 minutes a night but helps the team. A guy like Adams, or Asham but younger.

Other teams probably have gluts of fringe forwards that don't want to lose them on waivers and have no defensive depth mirroring our problem.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

DelPen wrote:Trade mediocre D for mediocre offense that fit roles we need in Pittsburgh and WBS.

Lovejoy should be able to bring back a guy who can play 40 games ont he 4th line for 6 minutes a night but helps the team. A guy like Adams, or Asham but younger.

Other teams probably have gluts of fringe forwards that don't want to lose them on waivers and have no defensive depth mirroring our problem.

Before last years playoffs yes, after the playoffs i think you'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks for him
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that Lovejoy has zero trade value.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 am

columbia wrote:I'm pretty sure that Lovejoy has zero trade value.

He's not Bobby Orr incarnate? Color me shocked.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Lovejoy could/should/will-hopefully get at least a 7th round pick in return... maybe not. :(
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Just remember, Shero got a 4th rounder for Mark Letestu.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Nizzy wrote:Lovejoy could/should/will-hopefully get at least a 7th round pick in return... maybe not. :(

Lovejoy would likely clear waivers.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:15 pm

They have a pretty huge logjam of tweener D, so I think he would have already been traded, if he had any value.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins