Pens fire SMG as Consol bldg mgrs

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens fire SMG as Consol bldg mgrs

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm

llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Pens fire SMG as Consol bldg mgrs

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 pm

was SMG in charge of the crappy ice surface?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Keeping Armark as concession manager.

Guess that means we are stuck with RC Cola.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spangler on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Aramark runs Heinz field which doesn't have RC Cola. Blame the Pens for that.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:53 pm

What did SMG do to Crosby?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 pm

so this means there wont be long ass lines at the bathroom anymore, right?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm

jimjom wrote:Keeping Armark as concession manager.

Guess that means we are stuck with RC Cola.

And crappy nacho "cheese". :(
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:What did SMG do to Crosby?

Were gonna take away his private entrance :pop:
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm surprised SMG made it to Consol at all, given the whole Mellon mismanagement.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:22 am

Who was in charge of the security that ignored all the assaults?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KBone on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:39 pm

If only there was a way to fire RC Cola!
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:34 pm

DelPen wrote:Who was in charge of the security that ignored all the assaults?

Yes. SMG is in charge of security, maintenence(although they can not be replaced due to union shop), and bringing in shows and events other than hockey. SMG is not in charge of concessions.

What is all of the RC cola hate? Then again I only drink booze at games so I guess this does not effect me.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:12 pm

SMG- i could be wrong but wasnt that company owned or ran or had something to do with Ed Snider SMG=Snyder Management Group?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:33 pm

pens#1 wrote:SMG- i could be wrong but wasnt that company owned or ran or had something to do with Ed Snider SMG=Snyder Management Group?

Yep. They also gave Howard Baldwin some upfront cash in return for a new deal with the Pens/ SMG that was very brutal to the Penguins back then. Loan sharks were very jealous of SMG! Once the Pens went into bankruptcy, that old deal got tossed and new one created.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:24 pm

I remember that all the union contracts, even the grumpy b@stards that give you your tickets at the window, signed deals for years.
I imagine its a simple decision of AEG will do it cheaper or get more concerts or something. Cause not sure they can change much else
even if the wanted to.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:03 am

brwi wrote:
pens#1 wrote:SMG- i could be wrong but wasnt that company owned or ran or had something to do with Ed Snider SMG=Snyder Management Group?

Yep. They also gave Howard Baldwin some upfront cash in return for a new deal with the Pens/ SMG that was very brutal to the Penguins back then. Loan sharks were very jealous of SMG! Once the Pens went into bankruptcy, that old deal got tossed and new one created.

That's right, brwi, and the brutal deal entailed (in part) no $$$ from the gate, concessions, or parking, right?

Ed Snider sold Spectacor's share well over a decade ago, but I thought of him immediately when I saw this piece of news. What an awful way to start the day. (Breakfast was the turning point :) to set things right, and putting on my 2009 SC Champs t-shirt completed the exorcism.)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
brwi wrote:

That's right, brwi, and the brutal deal entailed (in part) no $$$ from the gate, concessions, or parking, right?

Ed Snider sold Spectacor's share well over a decade ago, but I thought of him immediately when I saw this piece of news. What an awful way to start the day. (Breakfast was the turning point :) to set things right, and putting on my 2009 SC Champs t-shirt completed the exorcism.)

I dont remember specifics but they are different from food and ticket money. I think the deal was more for the money from concerts. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt we sell off our assets in a bad food deal too. It wasnt just SMG that did the loan sharking I think Aramark too.

Its not like they were bad companies the Pens needed money to keep the team together. The deals were not "horribly one sided", the Pens did get a ton of money up front. The issue was that in the next years the Penguins then had zero money coming in from them. I should clarify that of course SMG and Aramark still got the better of the deals but its not as bad as it sounded. It just took away their ability to make money in the long run.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
brwi wrote:

I dont remember specifics but they are different from food and ticket money. I think the deal was more for the money from concerts. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt we sell off our assets in a bad food deal too. It wasnt just SMG that did the loan sharking I think Aramark too.

Its not like they were bad companies the Pens needed money to keep the team together. The deals were not "horribly one sided", the Pens did get a ton of money up front. The issue was that in the next years the Penguins then had zero money coming in from them. I should clarify that of course SMG and Aramark still got the better of the deals but its not as bad as it sounded. It just took away their ability to make money in the long run.

Thanks, BaDS! Your memory is waaay better than mine, for sure. My, how far the franchise come since those days--to the brink and back... :D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I dont remember specifics but they are different from food and ticket money. I think the deal was more for the money from concerts. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt we sell off our assets in a bad food deal too. It wasnt just SMG that did the loan sharking I think Aramark too.

I don't remember any Baldwin deals with Aramark. SMG was getting all revenues from parking and concessions and I believe SMG was contracting out the concessions to Aramark themselves, not the Penguins. The other long-term killer deal he swung was to Fox Sports Pittsburgh, giving away all arena advertising revenues and marketing rights to them for some upfront cash.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:46 pm

brwi wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I dont remember specifics but they are different from food and ticket money. I think the deal was more for the money from concerts. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt we sell off our assets in a bad food deal too. It wasnt just SMG that did the loan sharking I think Aramark too.

I don't remember any Baldwin deals with Aramark. SMG was getting all revenues from parking and concessions and I believe SMG was contracting out the concessions to Aramark themselves, not the Penguins. The other long-term killer deal he swung was to Fox Sports Pittsburgh, giving away all arena advertising revenues and marketing rights to them for some upfront cash.

It doesn't really matter because the poit is correct in that the Pens sold yearly cash for upfront money. But smg, Aramark, and parking (city of Pgh) are all separate. The city did and always had run the building and I think that was the problem. and that is why gettin the new arena was a big deal beyon the norm. City "owns" but pens now run and hire who they want, get more overall money.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins