Free online classes from Ivy league schools

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free online classes from Ivy league schools

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Neuroethics, genetics and evolution, game theory.

When I saw that I almost threw up in my mouth. I took a graduate course in Optimization and the math was more hardcore than anything I have ever had, and a very brief introduction to Game Theory was included as a bonus lecture at the end lol. However I just looked at the description of that class and it looks like they are taking all of the math out of it and gearing it towards undergrads. An actual mathematical Game Theory class would be a graduate level pure math class. If you have seen Beautiful Mind, that is the mathematician who invented it.

We had to watch Beautiful Mind in my grad econ class. good movie. Russel Crowe i think?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:16 pm

mac5155 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

When I saw that I almost threw up in my mouth. I took a graduate course in Optimization and the math was more hardcore than anything I have ever had, and a very brief introduction to Game Theory was included as a bonus lecture at the end lol. However I just looked at the description of that class and it looks like they are taking all of the math out of it and gearing it towards undergrads. An actual mathematical Game Theory class would be a graduate level pure math class. If you have seen Beautiful Mind, that is the mathematician who invented it.

We had to watch Beautiful Mind in my grad econ class. good movie. Russel Crowe i think?

Yeah Crowe. A good movie, movies about crazy mathematicians are pretty rare.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:

Well John Nash didn't exactly invent Game Theory, it had been around for years before his dissertation, usually credited to Von Neumann and Morgenstern's work. Nash is famous for his theory on equilibria in games, which is explained completely wrong in the movie :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IrishEyes on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

You want nerd alert... they have a class on Greek and Roman Mythology. I am freaking in!
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah, a lot of these classes look great. It is too bad I didn't see these earlier...my real semester is going to start in a couple weeks and I don't need to add extra classes. Maybe next summer...
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm

IrishEyes wrote:You want nerd alert... they have a class on Greek and Roman Mythology. I am freaking in!

I love that stuff, but there's too much reading for my current schedule.

I'm taking some stuff relevant to my work. Signed up for 3 courses.

Gamification - Aug through early Oct
Think Again: How to Reason and Argue (LGP related?) - Dec through Feb
A Beginner's Guide to Irrational Behavior - April through mid May

This is pretty cool. Interested in seeing how the courses are. Basically a structured way for me to keep up with business stuff.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 pm

bhaw wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:You want nerd alert... they have a class on Greek and Roman Mythology. I am freaking in!

This is pretty cool. Interested in seeing how the courses are. Basically a structured way for me to keep up with business stuff.

I did also sign up for An Introduction to Operations Management. I'm hoping it will help me do better in the management part of my job. Sounded interesting, anyway.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
bhaw wrote:

I did also sign up for An Introduction to Operations Management. I'm hoping it will help me do better in the management part of my job. Sounded interesting, anyway.

I put that one on my list. Depends how gamification is going. If I can handle both, I will. The Gamification one should be fairly easy for me since I know what it is and use it regularly. If I end up doing the Ops Management, I'll bug you for lecture notes. Ha!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 am

do they have 8th grade algebra?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:50 am

bhaw wrote:I put that one on my list. Depends how gamification is going. If I can handle both, I will. The Gamification one should be fairly easy for me since I know what it is and use it regularly. If I end up doing the Ops Management, I'll bug you for lecture notes. Ha!

I'll gladly share. lol.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steve784 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 am

This is really fantastic. I went to school for MIS and through 4 years on a dead-end project feel like I've lost pretty much anything I learned. Taking some of these along with some brush-up stuff will help me feel way better when trying to interview for new jobs.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am

I was totally eyeing that also. But I already signed up for 4 of them so I'll wait until these ones are done for that haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am

Kaizer wrote:do they have 8th grade algebra?

Try Khan Academy if you are serious haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Just noticed that's at the end of September. I'll see if I can do that one myself. They have Astrobioloogy And Search For Extraterrestrial Life in January. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:07 pm

They have a lot of cool stuff, though. Mathematical Thinking. Introduction to Logic. I'd dig right into it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:40 pm

columbia wrote:

The latter will be helpful, should you ever choose to return to Warz. :pop:

:pop: start some games. NHR Games crashed after I godfathered everyone in Box Office Wars. I feel personally responsible. :(
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 pm

MITs OpenCourseWare is still great for a lot of math/science courses.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

Well John Nash didn't exactly invent Game Theory, it had been around for years before his dissertation, usually credited to Von Neumann and Morgenstern's work. Nash is famous for his theory on equilibria in games, which is explained completely wrong in the movie :pop:

My favorite part is in a special feature, where Ron Howard is asking Nash about the Nash Equilibrium and Game Theory. Nash, at a chalkboard, had done no more than define the dependent variable and the independent variable, and Howard's mind was blown about how brilliant it was.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Cool, I have always wanted to learn a little about programming, so... signed up for "Learn To Program."
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 pm

That sounds awesome; it really does.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

My favorite part is in a special feature, where Ron Howard is asking Nash about the Nash Equilibrium and Game Theory. Nash, at a chalkboard, had done no more than define the dependent variable and the independent variable, and Howard's mind was blown about how brilliant it was.

Mediating and moderating variables probably sent him into seizures.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:18 pm

I signed up for Ops Mgmt, Smart Growth for Small Business, How to Reason & Argue, and Intro to Logic. Two are this fall and two are in early 2013, but I forget which are when.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:I signed up for Ops Mgmt, Smart Growth for Small Business, How to Reason & Argue, and Intro to Logic. Two are this fall and two are in early 2013, but I forget which are when.

I'm in all those but the small business one since I work for a large mega corp :D
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:27 am

Started the Algorithm one last night. So far so good. One thing I do not like compared to lectures in youtube, is that it is a lot more dry. When filming an actual lecture there is more interaction with the students (which can be good and bad, but mostly good in my experience), and more showmanship from the professor because of this.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 am

I signed up for the introduction to philosophy class in the winter. I looked at them this weekend and couldn't get myself to commit to a class in the fall.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR