Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby viva la ben on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:51 pm

What happens if the NCAA digs deeper and uncovers more damning evidence?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,553
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:53 pm

viva la ben wrote:What happens if the NCAA digs deeper and uncovers more damning evidence?


I can't imagine anything worse than what has been reported.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,235
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby viva la ben on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Not necessarily worse, but more widespread coverup. From the article the point man on the lawsuit is a trustee recently elected by the alumni. It sure looks like grandstanding and pandering in an attempt to win support.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,553
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 pm

...make...it...stop...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,082
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby count2infinity on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 pm

I highly doubt there's much more deeper in that will be uncovered in the future. I think the majority of those associated with PSU would rather just take the punishments and move on.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,926
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,071
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 pm

MWB wrote:Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?


I'd think Erickson, but the article on ESPN makes it clear Emmert told Erickson to keep as many people as possible out of the loop.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,510
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Rocco wrote:
MWB wrote:Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?


I'd think Erickson, but the article on ESPN makes it clear Emmert told Erickson to keep as many people as possible out of the loop.


True enough. It just seems that the BoT has been quite divided from the start. One group said they'd accepts the Freh report, even though it was never formally accepted by them. One group seems to be okay with what Erickson did, and another is going to sue the NCAA. Seems to indicate poor leadership, and it was Erickson who ultimately decided to share so little with the BoT, beyond a select few.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,071
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Suing the NCAA seems like a fantastic PR move.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,235
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 pm

The BOT is too large and diverse to operate effectively IMO. Some members are appointed by the state and others are elected by the alumni. It was poor leadership by the board that got Penn St in this mess to begin with so I am not surprised that trend is continuing.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,821
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby ulf on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 pm

seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,314
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

ulf wrote:seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?


Seems like it's just a small segment that doesn't want to just move on.

How many people are on the Board?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,071
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby ulf on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 pm

MWB wrote:
ulf wrote:seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?


Seems like it's just a small segment that doesn't want to just move on.

How many people are on the Board?

I think if enough people in State College really hated this move, it wouldn't have happened. Or maybe it still won't, I suppose it isn't official yet.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,314
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:12 am

ulf wrote:I think if enough people in State College really hated this move, it wouldn't have happened. Or maybe it still won't, I suppose it isn't official yet.


I think the board wants to put in their two cents. It certainly is not what most here (everyone i've talked to thus far) want. Most just want to take the punishments and move on from there.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,926
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 am

There are 32 members of the BOT. Only 9 are elected by the alumni. The rest are appointed through various means.

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/selection.html
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,821
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Quick question, and if someone has the answer, thanks. Now let it be known that I've never thought highly of Freeh, long before this whole saga (Richard Jewell, Waco, etc). Why did Freeh decline to interview the central players in all of this? As in Paterno, Curley, Schultz, Spanier, etc.

I just don't understand how he was able to complete an entire report without interviewing the four primary targets. I've heard that Paterno even wanted to go on the record.

Again, if someone has the answer, please tell me and clear me up here.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,726
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby pfim on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Rocco wrote:
MWB wrote:Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?


I'd think Erickson, but the article on ESPN makes it clear Emmert told Erickson to keep as many people as possible out of the loop.


I think it's a bad move, but if procedure was followed in the first place, none of this would be happening.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:24 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question, and if someone has the answer, thanks. Now let it be known that I've never thought highly of Freeh, long before this whole saga (Richard Jewell, Waco, etc). Why did Freeh decline to interview the central players in all of this? As in Paterno, Curley, Schultz, Spanier, etc.

I just don't understand how he was able to complete an entire report without interviewing the four primary targets. I've heard that Paterno even wanted to go on the record.

Again, if someone has the answer, please tell me and clear me up here.


The ones under investigation or charged have been advised by lawyers not to speak. I'm guessing Paterno's health is part of why he wasn't interviewed.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,510
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:25 pm

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
MWB wrote:Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?


I'd think Erickson, but the article on ESPN makes it clear Emmert told Erickson to keep as many people as possible out of the loop.


I think it's a bad move, but if procedure was followed in the first place, none of this would be happening.


Had Emmert followed procedure, he wouldn't have gotten the result he wanted and he wouldn't be able to beat his chest and grandstand for PR purposes and he just couldn't have that.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,510
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby pfim on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Rocco wrote:
Had Emmert followed procedure, he wouldn't have gotten the result he wanted and he wouldn't be able to beat his chest and grandstand for PR purposes and he just couldn't have that.


I wasn't even going that far back. Just talking about Erickson and the BoT.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Had Emmert followed procedure, he wouldn't have gotten the result he wanted and he wouldn't be able to beat his chest and grandstand for PR purposes and he just couldn't have that.


I wasn't even going that far back. Just talking about Erickson and the BoT.


Oh. Yeah, that too, though when the NCAA says, "if you talk about this too much, we're backing off the deal", you're basically inviting Erickson to not invite the board and fall on the grenade (which is what he did).
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,510
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 pm

To be fair, he didn't want it leaked. Emmert didn't tell Erickson to keep it from the BoT, he just said make sure it's not leaked. Erickson made the decision that he couldn't trust the BoT not to leak it.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,071
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby pfim on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:44 am

MWB wrote:To be fair, he didn't want it leaked. Emmert didn't tell Erickson to keep it from the BoT, he just said make sure it's not leaked. Erickson made the decision that he couldn't trust the BoT not to leak it.


Then he's an idiot, because I think it's pretty obvious that not everyone was ok with this and he's given this guy the avenue to pursue a lawsuit.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby count2infinity on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 am

I guess the BoT's stance is that he didn't have the authority to accept the punishment without the board's approval... it's just a power struggle really.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,926
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am

ulf wrote:seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?


This is still true.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,235
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail