Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tangradi

Postby MarioLives on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 am

Anyone else think if given 20 games with Sid, he may work out well? Just give it a try instead of trying to sign Doan or trade for Ryan? I like his size and maybe Sid can bring out the best in him?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... le-649318/
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Tangradi

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:44 am

I don't think he'll work out with Sid if given 500 games. He doesn't have the legs that everyone who has worked with Sid has had.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:46 am

Speed or corner work?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 am

Maybe....but probably not.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:52 am

Right now, I really don't think that at all.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 am

He said something along the lines yesterday that he believes his game is both top 6 and bottom 6 and he can play anywhere.

Dude sure does talk a lot about his game that barely exists.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 am

Malkamaniac wrote:He said something along the lines yesterday that he believes his game is both top 6 and bottom 6 and he can play anywhere.

All talk, no rock?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 am

Malkamaniac wrote:He said something along the lines yesterday that he believes his game is both top 6 and bottom 6 and he can play anywhere.

That wasn't how I read it. I don't even like him and I read it as "I want to play top 6 and I am able to play bottom 6"
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm

I can't see him top 6 at WBS. No, that was not a joke.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I can't see him top 6 at WBS. No, that was not a joke.

Yea, there aren't many WBS games on TV for you to see him are there?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I can't see him top 6 at WBS. No, that was not a joke.

Is that because you are unable to get there to watch? He'll definitely continue top 6 there if for some reason he is in WBS.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I'll just state once again, that the Penguins are very high on Tangradi still and him not being higher in the lineup last season (at least in some small regard) was not a product of his play. I think he's going to be given some sort of shot this season to figure it out in a role that doesn't include working with Craig Adams.

If not, he'll continue to be a top-6 forward in WBS, which is not a joke either. If he doesn't work in the NHL, he has a pretty bright AHL future actually...he's a good fit down there from what I've heard and seen (limited on the "seen", to be honest).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Lol, had to double-check the date on this thread, thought it might be 2010.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:49 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'll just state once again, that the Penguins are very high on Tangradi still and him not being higher in the lineup last season (at least in some small regard) was not a product of his play. I think he's going to be given some sort of shot this season to figure it out in a role that doesn't include working with Craig Adams.

If not, he'll continue to be a top-6 forward in WBS, which is not a joke either. If he doesn't work in the NHL, he has a pretty bright AHL future actually...he's a good fit down there from what I've heard and seen (limited on the "seen", to be honest).

He's been on the stronger WB/S pens since he arrived here. He's dominant on the puck, carries it more than anyone else on the team through the neutral zone, he's strong in the corners and can basically move some AHL defenders at will when battling for pucks. He stands out on the ice in the AHL, which is probably why the big club remains so high on him.

One of the more impressive aspects of his AHL game is seeing him read the play defensively. He has really good hockey instincts for anticipating what the other team is doing...that being said, he isn't always 100% invested defensively, which isn't out of place for 'power forward' winger.

BTW, this is a relatively small sample for me...I've seen him play 7 times while in a WB/S Pens jersey...but he's pretty darn consistent in his play, and certainly seems to be a perrenial AHL All-Star.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Tangradi is probably top-6 on the WB/S Penguins ALL-TIME team.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:25 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'll just state once again, that the Penguins are very high on Tangradi still

I'm not down on him, but realistically, he is not a top six forward right now. Personally, I could see him being a solid contributor on the third line at best next season.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:33 pm

I'd rather see him with Malkin than Crosby. He'll never have Crosby's kind of game.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Tangradi is in the best shape of his life
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Too late to trade him for some defensive prospects?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 pm

sil wrote:...but he's pretty darn consistent in his play, and certainly seems to be a perrenial AHL All-Star.

Interesting since he had 2 meaningful seasons in the AHL and was never an all-star. Numbers were good, but certainly not great due to the fact that the Pens kept calling him up.

Listen, I'm not here to get into a argument over what are clearly opinions. I assess Eric as having absolutely no NHL value whereas others do. Sorry if I offended. We will see how his career evolves. He is only 23 so you never know. I could be very wrong. I'll gladly eat crow.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:09 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
sil wrote:...but he's pretty darn consistent in his play, and certainly seems to be a perrenial AHL All-Star.

Interesting since he had 2 meaningful seasons in the AHL and was never an all-star. Numbers were good, but certainly not great due to the fact that the Pens kept calling him up.

Allow me to clarify...

*He'll be a perennial AHL All-Star should he spend the rest of his career in the minors (a la Alex Giroux, Chris Conner, etc...).
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:09 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:

Interesting since he had 2 meaningful seasons in the AHL and was never an all-star.

Don't tell us, tell him.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:10 pm

We will see how camp goes. It would be great if he clicks with Malkin letting Kunitz slide down to Crosby's wing. The guy is in great shape this year, best of his life probably. If that can translate to some quicker speed and endurance then he can log 15-18 minutes a game and keep up with Malkin. He's always had the skill, hopefully it shows itself fully soon.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:10 pm

steelhammer wrote:Too late to trade him for some turn him into a defensive prospects?

FIFY. :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:13 pm

DelPen wrote:We will see how camp goes. It would be great if he clicks with Malkin letting Kunitz slide down to Crosby's wing. The guy is in great shape this year, best of his life probably. If that can translate to some quicker speed and endurance then he can log 15-18 minutes a game and keep up with Malkin. He's always had the skill, hopefully it shows itself fully soon.

The 'skill' is a little different with him though. Eric's more of an old-fashioned power forward type. He doesn't really have the tools we currently associate with the term "skill," though I know that's not exactly what you meant. He can score, don't get me wrong, but he isn't going to toe-drag arounda defender and handle the puck through pressure. Eric, if he's effective in the NHL, will look much more like Kunitz and/or Ryan Malone.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins