LGP Outdoors Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Outdoors Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:56 am

Pretty cool pics Mac. How long did it take you to get that quad out of the mud?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 am

Not too long.. maybe 30 seconds or so. I just got new tires on it and was in 4WD with diff lock. Those Grizzly's are amazing machines, they take every ounce of mud dirt and water we throw at them and continue to perform amazing.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am

some more pics from the weekend

ony buddy is stuck in this, he's the only one that went through. He was in this for about 5 minutes before he got out.

couldnt get out of this one - the lip on the hole was too deep and it was bottoming out, plus the tires were about shot

same hole as above, coming from a different angle. See how deep the thing was

Rhino going through the same hole that I'm stuck in on previous pictures. I wish I would have snapped a picture once he got stuck and was shooting muddy water 15 feet in the air.

coming from the opposite direction
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ad@m on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Have you heard of this place Mac?

http://www.redneckresorts.com/
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm

kinzu bridge is definitely one of the more interesting parks in PA. it shows A.) the power of man and b.) the even more powerful power of nature.

there are good places to eat ice cream in mt. jewet, too. and a tasty pizza place in kane (Pepi's?)

northwest pa is pretty cool if you like the outdoors.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Almost rolled a quad one of the first times I was on one and have been leery of them since haha
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:49 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:kinzu bridge is definitely one of the more interesting parks in PA. it shows A.) the power of man and b.) the even more powerful power of nature.

there are good places to eat ice cream in mt. jewet, too. and a tasty pizza place in kane (Pepi's?)

northwest pa is pretty cool if you like the outdoors.

Indeed. Didn't get any ice cream or pizza but have heard of it. We had buffalo steaks on Saturday which were OMG NOM NOM NOM... Ate at the Barrel House right at route 219/6 4-way which is great food cheap.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Rylan wrote:Almost rolled a quad one of the first times I was on one and have been leery of them since haha

back in high school one of the guys on our soccer team had a lot of property out in the country and an offroad six wheel gator.

we loaded half the team on this thing and his 13 year old sister was driving us around their little off road path.

i was sitting between the two front seats, and unbeknownst to me my foot was on the accelerator. so when she tried slowing up down a steep hill the brakes werent working so well. that was nearly a disaster, but fun. glad she was able to control it and i didnt have to explain to our coach why half the team was crippled a week before we played moon in the playoffs.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Ad@m wrote:Have you heard of this place Mac?

http://www.redneckresorts.com/

have heard of it but that's a haul for some riding. I will be going here on Labor Day weekend though

http://www.powerlinepark.com/

Anyone want to join :fist:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Rylan wrote:Almost rolled a quad one of the first times I was on one and have been leery of them since haha

I've rolled 3-4 times. Worst time was going up a steep hill and had my fiancee on the back, luckily she was nimble enough to get out of the way of me coming back and I controlled the quad over to my side. It's scary but doesn't stop me. Practice makes perfect, honestly.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

mac5155 wrote:

I've rolled 3-4 times. Worst time was going up a steep hill and had my fiancee on the back, luckily she was nimble enough to get out of the way of me coming back and I controlled the quad over to my side. It's scary but doesn't stop me. Practice makes perfect, honestly.

I am not worried about injury except for the fact that I am outside of my parents' insurance coverage really. Any significant injury could result in huge financial problems and I am more worried about that than a concussion and a few broken bones. If that makes sense.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Rylan wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

I am not worried about injury except for the fact that I am outside of my parents' insurance coverage really. Any significant injury could result in huge financial problems and I am more worried about that than a concussion and a few broken bones. If that makes sense.

No doubt. I carry insurance coverage on my ATV also with limits similar to that of car insurance. It covers the liability if I injure someone else, and also if I damage the quad, as well as injure myself. For $10 a month, it was worth it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Gah. I rolled a Convertible zero degree mower going up a hill that was too steep. It ended up flipping straight back - very lucky I wasn't hurt worse. I can't get on anything like that since. I even have to get off carts and walk some hills on golf courses. Totally messed up my head with that stuff.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:12 pm

I was on two wheels going towards a tree at like I don't 10-15 MPH. That was rather nerve wracking. But exhilarating and fun.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah its a ton of fun and exhilarating. You just need to know your limits.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Good campgrounds between pittsburgh and erie?

Looking to go with a few friends. Any help appreciated.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 am

not "between" pittsburgh and erie per say but I like Wolf's den in Knox. Looks like they've changed the name since the last time I was there.

http://www.wolfscampingresort.com/
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 am

Pymatuning has lots of camping. its kind of far from 79, but certainly in between erie and picksburgh lots of places to camp around tionesta too.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 am

Campground camping isnt camping IMO but to each his own. I like Crooked Creek Lake as well.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 am

Noted. We all have our limitations. Kenny the kangaroo probably could happily camp without a toilet/running water, but for some people, that just isnt their cup of tea. Camping is certainly an area where "to each their own" applies.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 am

mac5155 wrote:Campground camping isnt camping IMO but to each his own. I like Crooked Creek Lake as well.

I'm just looking for a place where we could set up a tent, a fire and make some mountain pies and hike a little and drink some brews and fall asleep.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 am

ulf wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Campground camping isnt camping IMO but to each his own. I like Crooked Creek Lake as well.

I'm just looking for a place where we could set up a tent, a fire and make some mountain pies and hike a little and drink some brews and fall asleep.

http://bearruncampground.com/

Right next to Moraine State Park. Their primitive sites are really nice, and are no where near the seasonal campers / trailers. Their walk in sites are even more secluded if you dont mind carrying everything a few hundred yards. This is my favorite public place to camp because their primitive sites actually feel primitive, not like a state park where it is site on top of site.

If you want to hike, you could go to Moraine or even take the 10 minute drive to McConnell's Mills.

Other things I like about this place is that while it has the primitive sites to my liking, it also has showers, a general store with EVERYTHING, stuff for the kids to do (pool / playground), and an off leash area for the dog. You could go up there with an empty car and get everything you need for a weekend in their store. One time we were there, my dog ate a smore before we went to bed, was running around crazy in the tent, and put a hole in our air mattress. We didnt know it when we went to bed, but found out when we woke up on the ground. Ran down to the store and bought one the next morning.

We are actually going here this weekend. Taking our 14 month old camping for the first time. As a big time camper, I am unbelievably excited about this trip.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:46 pm

solid. next step: convincing the girls to go camping.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 am

whatever you do don't tell them there's no electric lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 am

Mcconnells Mills is up that way right?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 3828_n.jpg

Go see this old abandoned bridge.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abandoned ... 4536307967

also this is a pretty neat facebook group I just joined, to find places to go explore in W PA

EDIT: image removed because I think there was some profane graffiti in the foreground.. blah
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR