If I were to buy tickets...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If I were to buy tickets...

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 am

So I have my Penguin game scoped out. Nov. 10th. I only go to one each year and that's the one I'm going to this year. I started looking at tickets on ebay and other places. I assume these are STH that are selling their tickets early. My question is, what happens if I buy tickets and a lockout happens? Does anyone know? I assume I would get my money back, but who knows... especially if I'm buying them on ebay just like I've done the past couple years.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,900
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 am

If you bought them through the team (which you can't do yet) your money would be safe. There is no way I would buy tickets for the upcoming season on eBay right now.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,510
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 am

If you buy them from me, you won't get your money back.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,262
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby CERV96 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If you buy them from me, you won't get your money back.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,512
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby roland on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

I spoke to a Pens ticket rep yesterday and they said that this whole "lockout" thing is phooey and that they are moving forward under the assumption that the season will start on time.

Spoiler:
Image
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:22 pm

roland wrote:I spoke to a Pens ticket rep yesterday and they said that this whole "lockout" thing is phooey and that they are moving forward under the assumption that the season will start on time.

Spoiler:
Image


Of course they are. Money needs to be made and all.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,586
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 pm

My advice:
Never buy on ebay, craigslist or stubhub unless as a last resort. If you wait to the date for the Pens regular tickets are ready I guarantee you have zero problem buying two at the regular price. If you are locked out and really cant get seats try the Pens exchange. That is through them so the tickets will actually get you in.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,953
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby prez_usa on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50 am

My Advice:

I'm a STH who has to sell some games here and there (I'm a teacher w/ a 3 year old...some weeknights are rough, and I need a sitter). Anyhow, I always sell on craigslist. If you're going to buy from there, just be sure to meet in a public place. I usually meet at Ross Park Mall, a Barnes and Noble, or near the game. This gives you the chance to examine the tickets. Honestly, for what you're paying for a regular season game, it wouldn't be worth someone's effort (or the risk) to make a great forgery. Moreover, I've also bought tickets on craigs and never had a problem with forgeries.

Also, I know that some people say that you can always get tickets at face on gameday. Maybe you'll get gate face, but I have never had a problem selling mine for double the STH price on a game day.
prez_usa
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My advice:
Never buy on ebay, craigslist or stubhub unless as a last resort. If you wait to the date for the Pens regular tickets are ready I guarantee you have zero problem buying two at the regular price. If you are locked out and really cant get seats try the Pens exchange. That is through them so the tickets will actually get you in.


Thats terrible advice. I ALWAYS buy on ebay and have used stubhub, ticketliquidator etc many times for hockey, concerts, etc. (don't use them anymore due to the high fees though). Be smart and buy from sellers with good ratings and you'll be fine.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,584
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:49 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My advice:
Never buy on ebay, craigslist or stubhub unless as a last resort. If you wait to the date for the Pens regular tickets are ready I guarantee you have zero problem buying two at the regular price. If you are locked out and really cant get seats try the Pens exchange. That is through them so the tickets will actually get you in.


Thats terrible advice. I ALWAYS buy on ebay and have used stubhub, ticketliquidator etc many times for hockey, concerts, etc. (don't use them anymore due to the high fees though). Be smart and buy from sellers with good ratings and you'll be fine.


it's not terrible. The point is that wait til the pens go onsale first, they hold tickets for every game so why pay an up charge to a seller when you can almost assuredly by them when the pens go on sale? everyone immediately gives advice to go to these sites instead of just buying tickets from the source. I swear half these sites wouldn't exist if people were smart and just bought regular tickets from the teams. Look at the this thread, tickets aren't even on sale yet and it's a discussion about buying off of scalpers.

Next - why would you not try to buy them from a source that is 100 percent legit at first? If they are too expensive or you can't find what you want then go to sites and scalp and find the good sellers. But exchange is through the teams. Would you rather pay $10 more and be 100 percent guaranteed no matter what?

We even have someone on here talking about buying in a mall parking lot off of Craigslist but I give terrible advice for saying to buy at gate or buy from exchange. 10 times a year I see people throwing a fit outside a game because their tickets were no good. Always a PDF too.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,953
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 am

Yeah 76 bucks plus services fees from ticketmaster for upper bowl is a great deal! (LOL) I usually get my tickets off ebay for about 60 bucks a pop right around gameday, an upcharge over STH yes, of course, but not a ridiculous amount. As far as being guaranteed ebay and paypal have buyer protection and things of that nature for disputes. But hey, I'm not gonna get in a pissing match over it and if you see me standing outside Consol throwing a fit about my tickets you can say I told you so. Ebay has yet to let me down in probably 10 years of using the site.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,584
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby newarenanow on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 am

I don't think any of those routes are terrible advice. Different people have different preferences and both are good avenues depending on what you want.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,586
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby drnort on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:39 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My advice:
Never buy on ebay, craigslist or stubhub unless as a last resort. If you wait to the date for the Pens regular tickets are ready I guarantee you have zero problem buying two at the regular price. If you are locked out and really cant get seats try the Pens exchange. That is through them so the tickets will actually get you in.


Thats terrible advice. I ALWAYS buy on ebay and have used stubhub, ticketliquidator etc many times for hockey, concerts, etc. (don't use them anymore due to the high fees though). Be smart and buy from sellers with good ratings and you'll be fine.


it's not terrible. The point is that wait til the pens go onsale first, they hold tickets for every game so why pay an up charge to a seller when you can almost assuredly by them when the pens go on sale? everyone immediately gives advice to go to these sites instead of just buying tickets from the source. I swear half these sites wouldn't exist if people were smart and just bought regular tickets from the teams. Look at the this thread, tickets aren't even on sale yet and it's a discussion about buying off of scalpers.

Next - why would you not try to buy them from a source that is 100 percent legit at first? If they are too expensive or you can't find what you want then go to sites and scalp and find the good sellers. But exchange is through the teams. Would you rather pay $10 more and be 100 percent guaranteed no matter what?

We even have someone on here talking about buying in a mall parking lot off of Craigslist but I give terrible advice for saying to buy at gate or buy from exchange. 10 times a year I see people throwing a fit outside a game because their tickets were no good. Always a PDF too.


Its terrible advice because for the large majority of games, you can get tickets cheaper on the aforementioned sites than from ticketmaster or the exchange. This includes playoff games.

There is a reason why games are not selling out until the last minute...or until student rush claims the final 1,000 tickets...and its because the smart fan is paying under gate price by choosing to trust a STH on craigslist or Ebay.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,590
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 pm

drnort wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My advice:
Never buy on ebay, craigslist or stubhub unless as a last resort. If you wait to the date for the Pens regular tickets are ready I guarantee you have zero problem buying two at the regular price. If you are locked out and really cant get seats try the Pens exchange. That is through them so the tickets will actually get you in.


Thats terrible advice. I ALWAYS buy on ebay and have used stubhub, ticketliquidator etc many times for hockey, concerts, etc. (don't use them anymore due to the high fees though). Be smart and buy from sellers with good ratings and you'll be fine.


it's not terrible. The point is that wait til the pens go onsale first, they hold tickets for every game so why pay an up charge to a seller when you can almost assuredly by them when the pens go on sale? everyone immediately gives advice to go to these sites instead of just buying tickets from the source. I swear half these sites wouldn't exist if people were smart and just bought regular tickets from the teams. Look at the this thread, tickets aren't even on sale yet and it's a discussion about buying off of scalpers.

Next - why would you not try to buy them from a source that is 100 percent legit at first? If they are too expensive or you can't find what you want then go to sites and scalp and find the good sellers. But exchange is through the teams. Would you rather pay $10 more and be 100 percent guaranteed no matter what?

We even have someone on here talking about buying in a mall parking lot off of Craigslist but I give terrible advice for saying to buy at gate or buy from exchange. 10 times a year I see people throwing a fit outside a game because their tickets were no good. Always a PDF too.


Its terrible advice because for the large majority of games, you can get tickets cheaper on the aforementioned sites than from ticketmaster or the exchange. This includes playoff games.

There is a reason why games are not selling out until the last minute...or until student rush claims the final 1,000 tickets...and its because the smart fan is paying under gate price by choosing to trust a STH on craigslist or Ebay.


Look me more than anyones understands that completely. My points is that you should try to buy them off the Pens first before going to scalping websites all things being equal. I agree 100% about the games not selling out, students but if you want certain things or games on these sites you usually have to pay a premium its how they make their money.

If you can get them that much cheaper (i know exchange has price floor limits) than by all means do that. But if its remotely the same why would anyone in their right mind not buy or even pay a few bucks less to go to a broker site when its not necessary or actually 100% guaranteed. Nobody even gives advice to try to buy tickets form the sorce anymore.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,953
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My advice:
Never buy on ebay, craigslist or stubhub unless as a last resort.


I buy them through Craigslist all the time. Day of a game, 3pm, you can get some really good deals from someone who can't make the game and is desperate to unload.

I also buy Pirates tickets day of game for under $15 each on stubhub. Even with the fees theyre less than half hte price of the teams website.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,826
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: If I were to buy tickets...

Postby socket on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 am

I recommend you buy from eBay or Craigslist, just don't be stupid about it. eBay has the feedback, and use good judgement when buying from Craigslist. I agree, it's hard with the lockout situation. I am a STH and occasionally buy and sell tickets. The Ticketexchange is a ripoff for sellers but definitely keeps your purchase safe... However, you can almost always find better deals elsewhere. So it all depends where your priorities are. I was trying to sell a few on Craigslist but have decided I don't want to deal with any lockout situations so I am holding on for now. Luckily STH's pay (at least the majority of their costs) before the season starts (or doesn't)... SIGH. Thank Christ for 0% promo credit.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:28 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

e-mail