Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Tomas on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:34 pm

This is a very open interview with Michal Neuvirth published in Sport daily. Because Sport apparently does not allow direct Google-translation of their websites, the relevant passages are Google-translated piece-by-piece below.

The highlights:
- says that this year he is facing the weakest competition for No. 1 goalie position in Holtby
-says he himself strongly advised Vokoun (whom Neuvirth considers to be a close personal friend) to take the Penguins job. One of the reason is that "they [Penguins management] told Fleury that he will be playing less frequently after the was not particularly good during the last play-offs."
- disses Semin's work ethics
- hopes that now that Semin is gone, Ovechkin "could give more to hockey"
- likes Oates, disses Hunter

Once play begins, expect a battle for the number one position Capitals goalie. In previous years, it will take forever so far failed. What prospects do you do this time?
"It is true that until now I have never been foreseen as a clear leader. But I just did in the NHL odchytáno just over a hundred matches, which is not complete. I go into the season with the fact that I want to manage again some forty or fifty matches and certainly I know that this year I have the weakest team in the competition (22 year old Braden Holtbyho) I've ever had. I'll try to be number one this year. Finally! "

Overseas write that you were always in the Washington crease bridesmaid, never the bride. That the main role has always been your partner, whether it be anyone. How do you see it?
"It is necessary, however, look at it, who's been with me every time. First Rusak Varlamov, who still built in front of me because he was better drafted and caught the NHL before. Through him it was hard to get. Eventually I did but the season before last odchytal far more than he did. Last year I was beside myself Vokyho (Tomas Vokoun) and I counted ahead with it, it will probably get more chances on. I came to camp ready, but it was finally the season such as the one ... I threw it behind and go into this with the fact that, once again I'll fight for my place. This will be my breakthrough year, since it will depend on the further career. "

But last year meant disappointment. Together with Tomas Vokoun as you had a pair of Czech goalie attack Stanley Cup and instead either of you not did play off ...
"Well, it ended badly, how could. But it is said that everything bad is good for something, so I'm taking this too. I do not at least with Vokym wonderfully enjoyed. I knew him as a man, I could see, as he prepares to coach what he does before matches and I think I helped a lot. Moreover, we are really much closer to each other humanly, we are always in contact, we were behind him with his girlfriend after the season and look for a few days in Florida. We became great friends. "

I understand that. But what hockey page? We have swings, then you both hurt and neither one of you have to let go wickets Braden Holtby, a young man from the farm.
"We're both very sorry. Hated us that neither of us do not catch the playoffs, no doubt about it. But such is life, these things happen in sport and we have no other than the last season really leave behind. Voky will now fight in Pittsburgh and I on in Washington. "

You've mentioned a moment ago that this year you Holtbym weakest competition you've ever had. According to the last play-off but it does not look like there was sensational, is not it?
"He's definitely a great goaltender, no doubt. But I can not compare him with Vokym even with Varlamov, what I had in mind. Compared to those two in the NHL odchytáno fart and just take it as the weakest of the three goalie. Definitely not saying that it's bad, not at all. I also like to catch. Only three of those appointed is the worst, it is simply a fact. "

Scare you, how brilliantly mastered last playoffs? That he would now be able to give the club a better chance?
"I'm not afraid. I think a year ago I odchytal playoffs just like he is now the last one. I always did say that the second season is fault, so I gave him a curious ... "

One wonders how the two of you together with Holtbym you off the ice. Get along together?
"Yeah, he is also a friend, definitely. I do not always try to have a second goalkeeper good relationship, you never want to do strife. With Holtbym on well, we odchytali and two years on the farm. He made it there two, when we won the Calder Cup twice, so we know each other for a long time, over four years. We are not no great friends who went to dinner together, but again, should we sit next to each other in the locker room and always a chat. Just do not go to randíčka Holt. "

Even back to Vokoun. As you look at his departure to Pittsburgh?
"I was one of those who advised him whether Penguins take. I know he had a lot of offers from Russia, but there I was telling him, whether mainly goes. Just when I was with him, so he came a few clubs and I really recommend unequivocally Pittsburgh. There has a great chance to win the Stanley Cup. Additionally Fleurymu (number one goalie) said that now will catch less, because he too did not work last extra play-off. And anyway, what is written in the summer, on paper, does not have much weight in the season anything can happen. I am therefore glad that Voky took Pittsburgh, I think he did best as he could. Surely he advised the wife and the others guys, but maybe he also my opinion in the decision to help. "

Washington left just Vokoun, but also Russian striker Alexander Sjomin, quite a controversial figure. Some argue that it will help the club, others the opposite. Where do you belong?
"Somewhere in between. I see Sjominův departure as a great loss for the team, but again, I think that it might be good for something. He does not have the very best morals. Maybe he will now Ovi (Alexander Ovechkin) alone without Sjomina, could give more to hockey. And maybe it was just this purpose and leadership. "

Similarly, the Sjominovi his morals and spoke last year your former teammate Matt Bradley and then publicly apologized for it ...
"But for me it is not anything that anyone knew. If Sjomin wanted, he could be the best hockey player in the world, but he does not want every day. And that's wrong. "

Up to him this fetches your opinion, you can expect golfák the head in the match with Caroline, do not you think?
(Smiles) "Yeah, that could happen with Caroline play a lot."

You mentioned and Ovechkin. Why do you think it is not such a killer as it was three or four years ago?
"Certainly it is not such as it was, it is true. And if we as a team we have a chance at the Stanley Cup, we need to Ovi best of all. We all expect from him as captain must be correct leader. But it is not heavy, he's already reached individually everything that was on the very top and this is then one can just fall down again. I just hope that now Ovi will continue to fall, but the brakes and will need to try again to get back on top. Otherwise, in terms of his attitude and behavior in the cab, he's still the same. Even if he fails, he still has a good mood, rejoicing with others. It's a good team player. This is here to stay forever. "

Another change for the Capitals coach. Came Adam Oates, a former striker and large local persona. You also from his arrival as enthusiastic fans?
"Personally, I have never met him, but I talked to him on the phone and I had a good feeling. It's definitely a big Washington hockey legend, it was also now an assistant in New Jersey, against whom I have always somehow managed to, so I think that made me a positive impression. With a new coach begins a new start and I'm glad Oates. And because there is left Dale Hunter. "

Neither your teammate Roman Hamrlík it was not enthusiastic. Why do you not like?
"Simply just because underneath that fielded as the leader in playoff Holtby. Anyway, I found it way too much. I had a good relationship with Bruce (previous coach Boudreau) with coach Bob Woods on a farm, but with Hunter Sun I do not know, us goalies just did not communicate, I think us too often and unnecessarily criticized. From my perspective, it's good that's gone. "

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-nhl ... vezme.html
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Makes sense. Fleury played too much, Vokoun came for some PT. Fleury could use the rest.

I see nothing wrong there, given what I interpreted it as is what Neuvirth meant.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 am

I also understood it as Fleury was overworked by the time the playoffs rolled around. He wasn't dissing MAF.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

or an element of "in pittsburgh, MAF is #1, and you'll be #2, but still get plenty of chances, and not have to worry about some 20 year old coming up the last month of the season, and taking both your jobs"
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I don't take it as a diss and if less games equals a better MAF come crunch time I'm all for it.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm more interested in Neuvirth saying that Holtby is his weakest competition...and he doesn't have a chance to beat him out...Holtby is better by a fair margin, IMO. Though, I'm guessing that sounds so negative because of the translation...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:03 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Makes sense. Fleury played too much, Vokoun came for some PT. Fleury could use the rest.

I see nothing wrong there, given what I interpreted it as is what Neuvirth meant.

llipgh2 wrote:I also understood it as Fleury was overworked by the time the playoffs rolled around. He wasn't dissing MAF.

Froggy wrote:or an element of "in pittsburgh, MAF is #1, and you'll be #2, but still get plenty of chances, and not have to worry about some 20 year old coming up the last month of the season, and taking both your jobs"

That's how I interpret it too. I remember Bylsma commenting a few times late last season that he was overplaying Fleury and worried he was wearing down, but they weren't comfortable with either Johnson or Thiessen. I don't see Vokoun (and Zatkoff) coming in as a sign of being dissatisfied with Fleury but of the situation as a whole.

The Penguins have definitely improved their depth in goal with those two signings.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:10 pm

I knew someone was going to link to this article.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tomas on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm more interested in Neuvirth saying that Holtby is his weakest competition...and he doesn't have a chance to beat him out...Holtby is better by a fair margin, IMO. Though, I'm guessing that sounds so negative because of the translation...

I am too lazy to actually translate the interview (it's quite long and I have stuff to do), but Neuvirth is very, very, very confident that he is better than Holtby in that interview.

In fact, here is the actual correctly-translated whole interview (including the Vokoun paragraph):
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.co ... ition-yet/

and here are the Neuvirth quotes on Semin, Ovechkin and Hunter :
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.co ... nter-left/

And NA media started to notice:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:32 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm more interested in Neuvirth saying that Holtby is his weakest competition...and he doesn't have a chance to beat him out...Holtby is better by a fair margin, IMO. Though, I'm guessing that sounds so negative because of the translation...

Holtby has a small handful of NHL games where he looked really good, but Neuvirth is the better goalie in my opinion. Much longer and broader history of success. More talented as well. Hopefully though they both are terrible next season :twisted:
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Yeah, I mean, I want Washington to fail as much as anyone. But Holtby rules, he has just improved so much since he joined the WHL...terrific goalie...saw Neuvirth since he was in the OHL, solid, unspectacular. Holtby was better last year skill-wise than Neuvirth is now. Holtby's ceiling is way higher and should runaway with the starting job as time goes by...Neuvirth will make a strong push in this season as there's film on Holtby now and motivation on Neuvirth's side, but it's Holtby's team...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Well, in terms of his competition this will still be Neuvirth's easiest camp:

Vokoun > Varlamov > Holtby

He at least has that going for him, I guess.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 am

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I mean, I want Washington to fail as much as anyone. But Holtby rules, he has just improved so much since he joined the WHL...terrific goalie...saw Neuvirth since he was in the OHL, solid, unspectacular. Holtby was better last year skill-wise than Neuvirth is now. Holtby's ceiling is way higher and should runaway with the starting job as time goes by...Neuvirth will make a strong push in this season as there's film on Holtby now and motivation on Neuvirth's side, but it's Holtby's team...

I've been seeing a lot of Hershey fans saying that in their opinion (after seeing both play a fairly significant number of games) Neuvirth is the better goalie.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 am

tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I mean, I want Washington to fail as much as anyone. But Holtby rules, he has just improved so much since he joined the WHL...terrific goalie...saw Neuvirth since he was in the OHL, solid, unspectacular. Holtby was better last year skill-wise than Neuvirth is now. Holtby's ceiling is way higher and should runaway with the starting job as time goes by...Neuvirth will make a strong push in this season as there's film on Holtby now and motivation on Neuvirth's side, but it's Holtby's team...

I've been seeing a lot of Hershey fans saying that in their opinion (after seeing both play a fairly significant number of games) Neuvirth is the better goalie.

To be fair, a lot of Hershey fans also think/thought that Alex Giroux was going to be the next Pavel Bure...even when he was still 'owning' the AHL at age 29.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am

tfrizz wrote:

That's surprising. I'll stand by what I said, always thought Holtby was better. Carey Price-lite.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:52 am

I'm still pissed yahoo auto draft took Vokoun for me in the second round last year. Single handedly cost me a playoff spot.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tomas on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 am

Vokoun on his lockout plans:

If it takes ~1 month, he will keep practicing in Florida.

If it takes longer, then he'd like to play in some Euro league (possibly in the Czech Republic), but definitely not in the KHL. He does not have anything pre-negotiated yet.

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-nhl ... -dost.html
Google-translated:
"Why excommunicate action in the KHL?
"Mainly because of family, moreover, that their lanaření've had enough. (smiles) I'm glad I made ​​a deal with Pittsburgh. "

Yet now you have no idea if the season starts. How much you are eating away the uncertainty?
"It's not what I searched for. But nothing can be done, man can not but wait to see how it turns out. That's not influence it. "

It's a big difference compared to the situation eight years ago, when the NHL lockout also stopped?
"That's when I was younger, we had only one small child, we did not need for him to provide schools and so on. Moreover, during the years he played the World Cup, so we were Lagging, we stayed in Europe and immediately went to play. Now it's a lot different. "

If the lockout was finally shorter, considering the variant that you will not catch anywhere?
"It's possible. If it takes even just a month, I would stay in Florida and I coached. If it is constantly being lengthened, I'd like catching, either somewhere in the Czech Republic and elsewhere in Europe. But it would also depend on whether it would be for me somebody was interested. After all, a lot of restrictions, in addition, pay the fuse. Even for clubs it's hard to deal with what to do once when the boys disappear from overseas back ... So far, I admit that no plan B in case it starts, I do not."
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins