(Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: (Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 am

HockeyDaddy wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
Godric wrote:I really don't see how we have room for Doan anyway....

Parise - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Kunitz
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Tangradi - Adams - Glass

Suter - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Niskanen - Engo

Parise and Suter didn't sign with us.

:pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 am

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Linus Omark signs to play with Swiss team EV Zug this season. His coach will be former NHL'er Doug Shedden. The Oilers retain his NHL rights
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

Not surprised. Another YouTube All-Star finds he's not long for this league...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 am

So here's a hypothetical...

Say the players accept the NHL's proposed cap limits with no salary rollbacks on the new CBA? The pens will suddenly be $3,000,000 + over the cap ($58,000,000) with their current roster (this also assumes a modest $600,000 - $800,000 for Tangradi). What happens then? We can't waive Martin (NMC) and teams may not be willing to deal. So what's the solution in this case? Attempt to trade Martin for a pick, then sign Coliacavo (sp?) for $1,500,000 tops? If that fails, how else would we shave $3,500,000 from our roster?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 am

Going to be awfully tough to shave, what, ~20% off the cap and not have some give regarding salaries or buyouts or something of that nature...I don't think that's a realistic scenario. Also, Colaiacovo has offers in the $2.5 million range, so even if you adjust for cap scaling, he's still a $2 million player...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:Going to be awfully tough to shave, what, ~20% off the cap and not have some give regarding salaries or buyouts or something of that nature...I don't think that's a realistic scenario. Also, Colaiacovo has offers in the $2.5 million range, so even if you adjust for cap scaling, he's still a $2 million player...

Hopefully it isn't realistic...but what would you do in such an awful case?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:23 pm

sil wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Going to be awfully tough to shave, what, ~20% off the cap and not have some give regarding salaries or buyouts or something of that nature...I don't think that's a realistic scenario. Also, Colaiacovo has offers in the $2.5 million range, so even if you adjust for cap scaling, he's still a $2 million player...

Cry
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 pm

sil wrote:

Failing to move Martin, I'd have to look towards Kennedy unfortunately....
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm

From what I read, if the players were to accept what's on the table now, there are plans for the teams over the cap, and I do not believe it means casting off players. You know that would be the first question asked by the union if they are even willing to talk to that amount.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:36 pm

I can't post from Twitter here, but according to a Dmitry Chesnokov retweet of an interview with Malkin (conducted with a Russian sportwriter) - Malkin told the reporter while Sid has no plans to play in the KHL (or anywhere) in 2012, he might "after Christmas, if the NHL season is cancelled".

I hope Geno is joking. Do not want. They will definitely headhunt Sid in the KHL.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:47 pm

llipgh2 wrote:I can't post from Twitter here, but according to a Dmitry Chesnokov retweet of an interview with Malkin (conducted with a Russian sportwriter) - Malkin told the reporter while Sid has no plans to play in the KHL (or anywhere) in 2012, he might "after Christmas, if the NHL season is cancelled".

I hope Geno is joking. Do not want. They will definitely headhunt Sid in the KHL.

Odd collision of stereotypes here. Are euros soft and lazy or are they dirty headhunters???
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:I can't post from Twitter here, but according to a Dmitry Chesnokov retweet of an interview with Malkin (conducted with a Russian sportwriter) - Malkin told the reporter while Sid has no plans to play in the KHL (or anywhere) in 2012, he might "after Christmas, if the NHL season is cancelled".

Odd collision of stereotypes here. Are euros soft and lazy or are they dirty headhunters???

The KHL has the team that's nothing but dirty players. I can't remember the name of it, but it is comprised mainly of international goons. It's been discussed on the NPR page.

No stereotyping here. It's a goon squad.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Zach6668 wrote:

The KHL has the team that's nothing but dirty players. I can't remember the name of it, but it is comprised mainly of international goons. It's been discussed on the NPR page.

No stereotyping here. It's a goon squad.

Vityaz Chekov, I believe
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Correct, at above.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

I honestly can't imagine Sid going to Russia to play during a lockout. The most likely scenario would be intense on and off-ice training with a select group of players and specialized trainers.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:I honestly can't imagine Sid going to Russia to play during a lockout. The most likely scenario would be intense on and off-ice training with a select group of players and specialized trainers.

Or a friendlier league like NLA (Switzerland)...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 am

sil wrote:So here's a hypothetical...

Say the players accept the NHL's proposed cap limits with no salary rollbacks on the new CBA? The pens will suddenly be $3,000,000 + over the cap ($58,000,000) with their current roster (this also assumes a modest $600,000 - $800,000 for Tangradi). What happens then? We can't waive Martin (NMC) and teams may not be willing to deal. So what's the solution in this case? Attempt to trade Martin for a pick, then sign Coliacavo (sp?) for $1,500,000 tops? If that fails, how else would we shave $3,500,000 from our roster?

The Pens would be $2.3M over the cap.

The options? Well, it will all depend on what the cap floor is. If there are teams who need to add to reach the floor, then Martin becomes quite easy to trade. In that instance, what you suggest could be plausible, or even trading Martin for a Dman who makes around $2.5M.

If teams will not be drastically effected by the cap floor, Martin isn't so easy to trade, so you have to look to either Kennedy, Cooke or possibly Niskanen and personally, I'd trade Niskanen and not because I'm a Niskanen-hater. Here's the scenario: Whether we'd have to trade a bottom-six player(i.e. Kennedy or Cooke) or a Dman, we'd likely have to dip into players with two-way contracts in our system. The Pens obviously have better Defensive prospects than at Forward.

We have to remember that the Penguins aren't the only team that gets affected here...plenty of teams will have to have a fire sale and the Penguins are lucky enough to where they wouldn't have to do anything drastic compared to a good deal of other teams. It's not like the Penguins have to do any sort of rebuilding, but this scenario could potentially put them in a position to really dip into their prospect pool and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:30 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
sil wrote:So here's a hypothetical...

The Pens would be $2.3M over the cap.

The options? Well, it will all depend on what the cap floor is. If there are teams who need to add to reach the floor, then Martin becomes quite easy to trade. In that instance, what you suggest could be plausible, or even trading Martin for a Dman who makes around $2.5M.

If teams will not be drastically effected by the cap floor, Martin isn't so easy to trade, so you have to look to either Kennedy, Cooke or possibly Niskanen and personally, I'd trade Niskanen and not because I'm a Niskanen-hater. Here's the scenario: Whether we'd have to trade a bottom-six player(i.e. Kennedy or Cooke) or a Dman, we'd likely have to dip into players with two-way contracts in our system. The Pens obviously have better Defensive prospects than at Forward.

We have to remember that the Penguins aren't the only team that gets affected here...plenty of teams will have to have a fire sale and the Penguins are lucky enough to where they wouldn't have to do anything drastic compared to a good deal of other teams. It's not like the Penguins have to do any sort of rebuilding, but this scenario could potentially put them in a position to really dip into their prospect pool and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I totally agree, which is kind of why I brought it up. It's amazing how strapped even we would be, let alone the 10 or so teams who've more salary! Just to be fully clear though, we would be more than $2,300,000 over. Tangradi has yet to get his new contract, so that puts us at $3,000,000 right there, plus the wiggle room you need, which is why I originally put out the $3,500,000 number. That'd be tough to do given the scenario, and we'd still have $1,200,000 to rid ourselves of even AFTER dumping Niskanen!

More or less this discussion is shedding light on how far apart the two sides are. :?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:43 am

You can't lower the cap and not lower salaries. That's unpossible.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 am

Gaucho wrote:You can't lower the cap and not lower salaries. That's unpossible.

:lol: Perhaps the union brought in Ralph Wiggum to say exactly that to the league/owners.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 am

Penguins re-sign Tangradi ($726,000), Strait ($605,000), Bortuzzo ($525,000) and Grant ($525,000) to one-year deals. Being that they are all one-year deals, I'm not sure any of them will be one-way.

EDIT: They are all two-way deals, AIUI. All are waiver exempt except Grant as far as I can tell...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

I though they all had to pass through waivers since their entry-level deals were up, no?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am

mikey287 wrote:Penguins re-sign Tangradi ($726,000), Strait ($605,000), Bortuzzo ($525,000) and Grant ($525,000) to one-year deals. Being that they are all one-year deals, I'm not sure any of them will be one-way.

EDIT: They are all two-way deals, AIUI. All are waiver exempt except Grant as far as I can tell...

So they can play in WBS, in the event of a lockout, because they are two-way deals?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am

meecrofilm wrote:I though they all had to pass through waivers since their entry-level deals were up, no?

No.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 am

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Penguins re-sign Tangradi ($726,000), Strait ($605,000), Bortuzzo ($525,000) and Grant ($525,000) to one-year deals. Being that they are all one-year deals, I'm not sure any of them will be one-way.

So they can play in WBS, in the event of a lockout, because they are two-way deals?

Yes, but that's not necessarily reflective of the two-way deal or this contract in general, AIUI. Crosby could play for the Baby Pens if he wanted to sign an AHL deal for one season (see: Scott Gomez playing in the ECHL during the last lockout).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins