Ranking the Broadcasting Teams

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ranking the Broadcasting Teams

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Steiggy and Errey definitely bottom 5 IMO. A little homerism is okay and to be expected, but there are often times they are over the top.

I like the Sharks guys the best.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Jack Edwards is the most annoying pbp guy in the league. Dont know how Brickley can work with the guy. Edzo is absolutely horrible, a big time pompous attitude. I know Pierre Maguire takes alot of heat here, but i love the guys knowledge of the game, as well as the shout outs to the junior or college teams guys played for. Dont know why, but i dig it.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 am

Jim Hughson/Don Taylor ftw.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:10 am

pugilist13 wrote:Jack Edwards is the most annoying pbp guy in the league. Dont know how Brickley can work with the guy. Edzo is absolutely horrible, a big time pompous attitude. I know Pierre Maguire takes alot of heat here, but i love the guys knowledge of the game, as well as the shout outs to the junior or college teams guys played for. Dont know why, but i dig it.

Yes, Pierre is the most intelligent guy on television, very inciteful at the pro level or junior level...terrific understanding of the game...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:17 am

wouldn't be an LGP summer without discussing the broadcast team
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby shmenguin on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 am

pierre is a frontrunner. his analysis is too linked to the scoreboard. that might just be a lack of impulse control or a desperate need to be emphatic, i guess.

but yes, i appreciate how knowledgeable he is when he's not overwhelmed by the tide of a game.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 pm

mikey287 wrote:Every game should be a learning experience, whether the announcers are part of that or not...I don't need the announcers to be entertaining, the game itself provides plenty...

Are you maybe taking the game too seriously? I want entertainment like I get from Steigy and Errey. Every night is a party with those two.

I can just see the two of us watching the game side by side. You'd be pointing out all the technical aspects and I'd be trying to coerce you to talk about big breasted women.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Every game should be a learning experience, whether the announcers are part of that or not...I don't need the announcers to be entertaining, the game itself provides plenty...

Are you maybe taking the game too seriously? I want entertainment like I get from Steigy and Errey. Every night is a party with those two.

I can just see the two of us watching the game side by side. You'd be pointing out all the technical aspects and I'd be trying to coerce you to talk about big breasted women.

:lol: The last sentence is probably about right. No, I mean, I like to have fun but that doesn't mean I don't try to take something out of every game. It's a distinct rarity that I don't take some sort of note(s) on a game I attend...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby duke66 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 pm

my theory for broadcasters. don't take over from the action. the pens duo is guilty of this many times (as do alot of others as well). just let the picture tell the story and massage with facts/stats/anecdotes.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Razor Reaugh for president. He makes watching a boring Stars team enjoyable.

Seconded. Wish the guy got more national exposure than a few playoff games.

I like Errey but don't really like or dislike Steigy. Can't say he's ever really annoyed or impressed me.

Rich Jeanneret makes my head asplode.

Any list that references "Second biggest homer in sports" with John Sterling not being the first loses all cred to me.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dan H on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 am

Sarcastic wrote:

"Hmm... yeah, they might give an advantage on face-offs by lowering a player's center of mass, if they dangled low enough... but then I'd think they'd get in the way of the player's arms..."
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:06 am

duke66 wrote:my theory for broadcasters. don't take over from the action. the pens duo is guilty of this many times (as do alot of others as well). just let the picture tell the story and massage with facts/stats/anecdotes.

Yes. Some of them don't realize they are broadcasting over TV and not just radio. We can see also.

I have the same kind of "problem" as Mikey watching hockey for solely entertainment and I call it the "Hockey Coach's Curse" where you view everything about the game and even the broadcast somewhat differently than others instead of just enjoying it "as is."
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby duke66 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:55 pm

brwi wrote:
duke66 wrote:my theory for broadcasters. don't take over from the action. the pens duo is guilty of this many times (as do alot of others as well). just let the picture tell the story and massage with facts/stats/anecdotes.

Yes. Some of them don't realize they are broadcasting over TV and not just radio. We can see also.

I have the same kind of "problem" as Mikey watching hockey for solely entertainment and I call it the "Hockey Coach's Curse" where you view everything about the game and even the broadcast somewhat differently than others instead of just enjoying it "as is."

there is definitely some merit to that. the more u know about the ins/outs of the game, the different ways u see it on tv. sometimes less is more!
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 am

wondermoose wrote:For how interactive the Pens are with fans, it really amazes me that they keep bringing Steigy back. I'm down with Bob because he usually calls it like he sees it, even if it means taking a stab at a Penguin.

The one hint that you would think the Pens would take is that whenever there's a nationally televised Penguins moment, they use Lange's call.

Two things:

1. "They" (Pens) don't bring him back. Steigy works for Root Sports, not the Pens... they can't dictate who calls their games.

2. Lange works for the Pens. They use his call because its belongs to the Pens and the NHL doesnt have to pay to use it.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins