Trip to Newark - Nov. 3rd

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Trip to Newark - Nov. 3rd

Postby opie22002 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:16 am

Lockout pending, we're planning a trip to the Rock to see the Pens play the Devils on 11/3. Anybody have any suggestions on places to stay or anything? We also want to go into NYC that weekend. Any suggestions on travel arrangements? Does the subway run out to Newark?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Trip to Newark - Nov. 3rd

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:35 am

I am not too familiar with the area but have been to a game there and nyc a bunch of times. I wouldnt stay in Newark, maybe Jersey City or Hoboken if you are looking for some fun after the game, lots of bars. The path train goes to Newark from the city and stops has a few stops in between including the areas I just mentioned.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby emptyfriend on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:07 pm

If you plan on going to NYC anyway, I'd stay there. There's a ton more to do/see in NYC than Newark or Hoboken, etc. Don't stay in Newark. The train goes right from NYC to the Rock. VERY easy. But if you're driving also a very easy drive, and there's alot of lots around the immediate area of the arena, but a 'lil pricey.
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I stayed by the airport. Only time I spent in Downtown Newark was for the game. Easy drive to and from airport hotels.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeanPronovost on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm

I went to a game there a couple of years ago, and the Penguins were staying at the Hilton Penn Station, which is a short walk from the arena and not especially expensive.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Short train ride (less than 40 minutes I think) from Newark's train station (about 2 blocks from the Arena) to New York's Penn Station...lots of places to stay in and around there, it just depends on your goals and your budget...looking for night life? Lots of Devils fans hang out at Hell's Kitchen right outside the arena which is fun atmosphere even if you're a fan of another team...afterwards, you can head up to New York or Hoboken, especially the latter for me...but I don't know New York City like the back of my hand, to be fair. I think EPP is also from this area, so maybe he can chime in. I'm in the Philly to Newark crapstravaganza, I think he's a little higher up than me....

If you need further advice, feel free to ask...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 am

Yeah, to be clear I am giving you the advice if you want to stay close to the arena and party a bit after. If you are looking to stay in the new york you can easily get to newark. but if you are looking to just visit new york for a day and check it out, go to the game and drink and party afterwards I would suggest Hoboken. Its a small town on the river full of bars and twenty somethings 10 minute train ride from newark and new york.

I have been to new york a lot for work and give you suggestions on places to eat and drink but my company always puts me in times square, and I dont really know the names of the neighborhoods I go to. Times square is kind of blah but its a quick cab ride to a lot of places.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Hoboken and Weehawkin (sp?) are really great cities to hang out in. I wouldn't not recommend staying the night in NYC unless you have money to burn. EVERYTHING there is so expensive. I priced a room at a holiday express near MSG and it was $329 per night. I'm going there in 2 weeks.

The visiting team's exit at the Rock is very fan accessible. I wasn't prepared last year when I was there but I will be the next time.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Don't stay in NYC. The Hotels are either expensive or sketchy.

The train from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station is about 20 minutes. The PATH from Newark to World Trade Center station is about 30 minutes. Penn Station puts you near Time Square/Mid-town and the PATH puts you near Wall Street, Little Italy, Chinatown, Soho - all on foot. Plenty to do for a quick NYC trip depending on what you want to do/see.

If you want to hang in Neark, the Ironbound section of Newark is right by the Rock. There are restaurants, cafes and bars there that generally have a Brazilian or South American lean. Very cool section of the city.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 am

I used to live above the Newport Path station - one stop away from Hoboken and also close to the arena. Newport is a business center so there are a lot of hotels and a shopping mall there. Hoboken is a cool place to go out in for sure.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Don't stay in NYC. The Hotels are either expensive or sketchy.

If you know how to use Priceline effectively, you can get a pretty nice hotel room at a bargain price.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 pm

I live in hoboken, i would recommend the hoboken/jersey city/Weehawken because it will be cheaper for a hotel room plus the food and other stuff is way cheaper and the hoboken accessibly to NYC is esp great.

I will point out the pens have stayed at the W in hoboken in the past. i ran into a few pens eating at one of the sushi restaurants the night before one of the games last year
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby opie22002 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks all. So would you suggest staying in Newark and just taking the train to the WTC?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 pm

opie22002 wrote:Thanks all. So would you suggest staying in Newark and just taking the train to the WTC?

I would say yes, unless you are really looking to stay at out until 3 and drink it up then I was say Hoboken. Either way quick trips into new york and hoboken easy trip to Newark.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 am

i wouldn't stay in newark its the hood
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:55 pm

I too would suggest staying in Hoboken. Head into Newark early, grab some dinner in the Ironbound, get the game in and then head back to Hoboken for the nightlife. Minimal driving and there are a ton of great affordable restaurants in the Ironbound, which is still a safe place to park and walk in Newark. Have fun.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 pm

darkstar57 wrote:I live in hoboken, i would recommend the hoboken/jersey city/Weehawken because it will be cheaper for a hotel room plus the food and other stuff is way cheaper and the hoboken accessibly to NYC is esp great.

I will point out the pens have stayed at the W in hoboken in the past. i ran into a few pens eating at one of the sushi restaurants the night before one of the games last year

NJ5934 wrote:I too would suggest staying in Hoboken. Head into Newark early, grab some dinner in the Ironbound, get the game in and then head back to Hoboken for the nightlife. Minimal driving and there are a ton of great affordable restaurants in the Ironbound, which is still a safe place to park and walk in Newark. Have fun.

Notice the two locals gave nearly identical advice.

I'm a Pittsburgh boy who's lived in the NY area for the last 13 years. I can't give you any better advice than these two fine folks already have.

There's no reason to stay in Newark if the only thing you want to do there is go to a three hour hockey game. You can grab a train to/from the 'Rock' very easily.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pens#1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 pm

if you get there early there is a nice bar right next too the arena on Edison Street- Its called Edison Ale House.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins