NHL Fan's Site Against Lockout - Needs Your Support...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL Fan's Site Against Lockout - Needs Your Support...

Postby interstorm on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Ok - a couple days ago I posted something in the "lockout" thread about creating a fan's site to voice our displeasure with the NHL and NHLPA. It's now up and running and can serve as a portal to uniting a fan voice behind the lockout. I'm looking for any other people who are angry and upset that the game we love may be put on the shelf...again. It is easy for the league to take a fans for granted and it is hard for one or two people to make a difference. All I am asking is for like-minded people to check out the site, possibly drop a word or two in the "Voice" section and to pledge your support to a Fan's Union. This support is not money -- just the opposite really. It is as follows:

For every day of hockey missed due to the current labor issue, We The Fans will go on strike for an equal amount of time once play resumes. We will not spend any money on the NHL, we will not buy merchandise or attend games. We may watch on non-pay per view television but we will boycott sponsors of such games and major commercial contributors. We The Fans will ensure the NHL and NHLPA feels a level of loss equal to that which we are forced to endure.

I'd be grateful if you checked us out and lent your voice to the cause. Passing the word along would be appreciated too.

We The Fans of the NHL (http://www.WTFNHL.com)
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: NHL Fan's Site Against Lockout - Needs Your Support...

Postby skullman80 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 pm

It's a nice gesture, but it's not going to make one lick of difference.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:36 am

skullman80 wrote:It's a nice gesture, but it's not going to make one lick of difference.

Most likely not but that is due to a lack of cohesion from the fan base. History has proven many times over that great things can be done when the masses unite for a cause. At the very least, it would be nice to get support from fellow LGP people.

Hopefully in a couple weeks (or days if we are lucky), this becomes a moot issue. Until then, however, I want the NHL and NHLPA to know where as many fans as possible stand on the issue.

...also - it important to note that I am not asking for money...just your voice!
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 am

skullman80 wrote:It's a nice gesture, but it's not going to make one lick of difference.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beLIEve on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:58 am

interstorm wrote:
We may watch on non-pay per view television but we will boycott sponsors of such games and major commercial contributors...

You guys realize that by watching it on so called "non-pay per view television", that you're still supporting the product on 2 different fronts, right? That cable bill you pay has money in it that goes directly to Root Sports. They get paid per month per subscriber. Also, the ratings you provide help Root Sports get more advertising dollars whether you spend a dime on those products or not. Root Sports earning more money ensures that they will pay more money every time they renew their exclusive regional contracts with NHL teams.

To truely not have any money go to the NHL as a result of your actions, you need to not watch games and not pay for TV.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby interstorm on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 am

I tweeted these but will post here too...

Quick numbers i calculated: nhl last year's revenue was 3.3 billion. At 57%, the nhlpa take is almost 1.9 billion. With 30 teams and we'll say 25 players per team, the average salary comes out to 2.5 million (actual average was, i believe, 2.4. While my numbers have been simplified the product is close). Now the same 3.3 billion at even 47% works out to produce an average salary close to 2.1 million. We're talking about a difference of $440,000! What's more, if the season is lost to a strike, it would take the average salary almost 5 years to re-coup the amount lost if kept at 2.5 instead of 2.1.

As for the owners. Players took 1.9 in 2011-2012 season. If that dollar value is frozen and league revenue increased at 5% (has actually been more), then player percent is at 49% in just 3 years, at this time unfreeze player dollar total and tie salary to league revenues at 49%. No player rollback needed and owners get better split.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am

beLIEve wrote:
interstorm wrote:
We may watch on non-pay per view television but we will boycott sponsors of such games and major commercial contributors...

You guys realize that by watching it on so called "non-pay per view television", that you're still supporting the product on 2 different fronts, right? That cable bill you pay has money in it that goes directly to Root Sports. They get paid per month per subscriber. Also, the ratings you provide help Root Sports get more advertising dollars whether you spend a dime on those products or not. Root Sports earning more money ensures that they will pay more money every time they renew their exclusive regional contracts with NHL teams.

To truely not have any money go to the NHL as a result of your actions, you need to not watch games and not pay for TV.

Well, people would be buying cable regardless on whether they watch hockey or not. I wouldnt suggest they throw their tvs on the curb and burn their cable bill. I am radical...but not that radical!
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:20 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby roland on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 am

I know that as a STH, there is an option to donate your tickets to charity and receive a tax write off. If other teams offer the same thing, the best form of protest from STH's/fans who have already paid in advance for tickets would be to donate them to charity on game day (i'm pretty sure it's an option until 2hrs before game time) once the lockout is over for a week or so.

Once the season gets going, I would donate tickets to charity again to make up for boning them at the start of the season.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:28 pm

roland wrote:I know that as a STH, there is an option to donate your tickets to charity and receive a tax write off. If other teams offer the same thing, the best form of protest from STH's/fans who have already paid in advance for tickets would be to donate them to charity on game day (i'm pretty sure it's an option until 2hrs before game time) once the lockout is over for a week or so.

Once the season gets going, I would donate tickets to charity again to make up for boning them at the start of the season.

yeah that would make a HUGE difference. :roll:
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby interstorm on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 pm

http://www.wtfnhl.com/index.php/home/34 ... ness-right

When Snow Say No, Goodyear says Go!.. Go, Go Goodyear!
Last edited by interstorm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 pm

nice site. could have come up with a better acronym than WTF ... lol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:08 pm

I've seen some really lame stuff on the Internet over the years and this is in the top 100 no doubt
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:12 am

ulf wrote:nice site. could have come up with a better acronym than WTF ... lol

The acronym is intentional. If the lockout happens (again) we're all literally left saying WTF to the NHL. As for caanan...i like your posts and all but the feedback i've gotten so far has been quite positive.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:27 am

Well, mark me down for now making it "not quite positive"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 pm

interstorm wrote:

The acronym is intentional. If the lockout happens (again) we're all literally left saying WTF to the NHL. As for caanan...i like your posts and all but the feedback i've gotten so far has been quite positive.

Serious question: have any players and/or teams contacted you so far? If so, who?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 pm

This is fn ridiculous, players and owners are both multi millionaires and they go on strike. I can't even take the nhl seriously anymore
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 pm

JS© wrote:
interstorm wrote:

Serious question: have any players and/or teams contacted you so far? If so, who?

No - they haven't. Nor do I expect them really (especially a team -- they wouldn't engage with such a site). I'd actually be more interested in getting picked up on larger media sources. The more followers I can get the more noise I can generate. I'm collecting emails (via the pledge section) and getting a decent response - these can come in handy should I want to organize a focused effort on somewhere/something. Only a couple followers on Twitter but gotta start somewhere. I can say that I'm serious about this cause and I'm willing to put in the tough hours for something I believe in.

Honestly - whether with me or not...I hope anyone else passionate about the NHL and what it could (should) be is doing their part to voice their concerns. I'm hoping to give an outlet for people if desired. As time goes on and if we really do see a lockout (which I hope we do not), I'm sure I'll be needing all the assistance I can get to do the things I plan.

Hope that answers your question :D
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:26 pm

the more fans react, the more certain the owners get that they'll come back after a lockout. Petitions and YouTube videos actually enable this whole mess, if anything. Apathy would be more effective than outrage...though neither are going to accomplish anything significant.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:the more fans react, the more certain the owners get that they'll come back after a lockout. Petitions and YouTube videos actually enable this whole mess, if anything. Apathy would be more effective than outrage...though neither are going to accomplish anything significant.

Not sure if I agree. MLB fans were very vocal in 1994 and attendance nose dived. It took Sosa/McGwire to get that league back on track. I think history shows that reaction doesn't equate to people returning. We'll see, though.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 am

Fan boycott of NHL sponsors underway - headlined by Bridgestone (official sponsor of the 2013 Winter Classic). Do not purchase goods or services from them or any other NHL sponsor. Visit our site for the full list and join us at "We The Fans of the NHL" (http://www.WTFNHL.com).
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 am

What we should do is them let know that we love hockey, not the NHL.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am

Gaucho wrote:What we should do is them let know that we love hockey, not the NHL.

I would do that by watching the talked about Russia/Canada series....not sure who would broadcast it in the US, however.
Maybe the NHLN? :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:17 am

interstorm wrote:
JS© wrote:
interstorm wrote:

No - they haven't. Nor do I expect them really (especially a team -- they wouldn't engage with such a site). I'd actually be more interested in getting picked up on larger media sources. The more followers I can get the more noise I can generate. I'm collecting emails (via the pledge section) and getting a decent response - these can come in handy should I want to organize a focused effort on somewhere/something. Only a couple followers on Twitter but gotta start somewhere. I can say that I'm serious about this cause and I'm willing to put in the tough hours for something I believe in.

Honestly - whether with me or not...I hope anyone else passionate about the NHL and what it could (should) be is doing their part to voice their concerns. I'm hoping to give an outlet for people if desired. As time goes on and if we really do see a lockout (which I hope we do not), I'm sure I'll be needing all the assistance I can get to do the things I plan.

Hope that answers your question :D

Fair enough. As long as you have a plan.

I'm not sure how much of an overall difference it's gonna make, but I'll at least give you a C for putting forth an effort.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:55 am

Gaucho wrote:What we should do is them let know that we love hockey, not the NHL.

Help AHL arenas sell out.

Wilkes-Barre, Lake Erie, Hershey... go support the AHL.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins