LGP Education thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Education thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm

C2I for secretary of education.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby MWB on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Do it.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:30 pm

lol... i'd never do it. I'm not enough of a politician to do that.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tjand72 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 am

I'm honestly thinking that the current push for evaluating teachers is a way to break the union. I have no qualms about holding teachers accountable, but the constant changing of student evaluation (PSSA, Common Core, whatever comes next) is not doing students any favors, and it makes the teachers' jobs that much more difficult. It's extremely difficult to teach when the goal line is constantly moving. That isn't to say that the teachers shouldn't be held to rigorous standards, but the constant shifting of teaching goals is setting students, and teachers, up for failure.

It's much easier to fire teachers that don't reach some arbitrary benchmark.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:29 am

You are definitely right. A lot of big cities and some states are pushing for these changes with either the implicit or explicit result being an end to unions. I have no problem with ending the tenure system of pay, so long as there is a viable system in place to evaluate teachers and pay them that way. The current ones being used or proposed don't cut it, for the most part. The push is to tie pay to scores.... yet the tests keep changing and the content keeps changing. We'll also end up having kindergartners be tested and kids taking tests in every class from math to PE and art (assuming that the school didn't have to waste all their money on test prep and still has an art teacher).
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 pm

A worker at chipotle asked us if it was "gooder" than the burrito place down the street. Stop the madness, teachers.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:37 pm

So you don't think chipotle is gooder?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:41 pm

These days intelligence wills out.

Google, Wikipedia, YouTube, and book torrenting basically give anyone with the capacity a free 6 figure education

Schools suck and are worthless
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Godric wrote:These days intelligence wills out.

Google, Wikipedia, YouTube, and book torrenting basically give anyone with the capacity a free 6 figure education

Same was said in Good Will Hunting, but yet the jerk at the bar has a point. At the end of the day, he'll have the degree. Without that stupid piece of paper, your knowledge is almost useless as far as getting your foot in the door.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 pm

To change the subject slightly:

I went to a pretty good suburban district and I imagine that the quality of education there hasn't wavered in the last 50 years.

Why is that? I would say:

1. The inherent ability of the students to learn.
2. Their interest in learning, as instilled into them by their parents.
3. Their parents taking a large interest in the educational process and making sure that the kids are progressing each year.
4. Good teachers.

I don't know how you can have "good schools" without 1-3 above.
Are the "bad schools" any worse than they were 50 years ago or are there just more students going to them?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

count2infinity wrote:
Godric wrote:These days intelligence wills out.

Same was said in Good Will Hunting, but yet the jerk at the bar has a point. At the end of the day, he'll have the degree. Without that stupid piece of paper, your knowledge is almost useless as far as getting your foot in the door.

I know, Im in school. I personally believe I could take different routes and be sucessful but what I really want to do requires a doctorate... So here I am
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:57 pm

columbia wrote:To change the subject slightly:

I went to a pretty good suburban district and I imagine that the quality of education there hasn't wavered in the last 50 years.

3. Their parents taking a large interest in the educational process and making sure that the kids are progressing each year.
4. Good teachers.

Are the "bad schools" any worse than they were 50 years ago or are there just more students going to them?

what's the income level in that district, and has it been steady over that time period?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I would think so. If anything, it's probably increased.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:01 pm

columbia wrote:To change the subject slightly:

4. Good teachers.

It's difficult, if not impossible to get a child interested in education if their parents are not interested in their education as well. So many people want every single teacher to be a miracle worker with every single kid. There are GREAT teachers out there that still cannot reach some kids because of circumstances beyond their control. When you have a moderately okay teacher the numbers go up, and bad teachers the numbers skyrocket. I still remember my first year teaching. I had to (by school code) give students an end of the year review of me and sit down with the principal and go through them. The number still rings in my head... 162 students. 150 with good comments. I was ecstatic about that. You can't reach every single child because you're not with them 24/7. Teachers need help from home. In fact, on your list, I would say the greatest indication of a child doing well in school fall on 2 and 3 much more than 1 and 4.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:02 pm

columbia wrote:I would think so. If anything, it's probably increased.

North Allegheny? Mt Lebanon?

:pop:

Admittly, my view on schools is probably tainted from growing up in Aliquippa
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 pm

The number one factor on if a child will do well in school is parental involvement. There's no question about that.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:12 pm

My sophmore year my principal told me to drop out :pop:

He called me into his office and tried to get me to sign, lol
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm

The kids in my HS that were in the remedial classes largely lived on the other side of the tracks:
Low income families, single parent household, parents who hadn't gone to college, parents who didn't give a ****, etc.....it wasn't really a surprise.
Now apply that to entire poor, urban areas.....and people want to blame the system and the teachers for low achievement?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm

columbia wrote:The kids in my HS that were in the remedial classes largely lived on the other side of the tracks:
Low income families, single parent household, parents who hadn't gone to college, parents who didn't give a ****, etc.....it wasn't really a surprise.
Now apply that to entire poor, urban areas.....and people want to blame the system and the teachers for low achievement?

At the same time there are far too many teachers in those areas that are just lousy teachers. Why are they there? Because it's likely the only place they could get hired. Where do the "good teachers" want to go? Where there's more money and a better district. I can pretty much guarantee that if you gave a teacher a choice between a nice suburban school district vs. a poor inner city school they'd pick the first.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 pm

count2infinity wrote:
columbia wrote:The kids in my HS that were in the remedial classes largely lived on the other side of the tracks:

At the same time there are far too many teachers in those areas that are just lousy teachers. Why are they there? Because it's likely the only place they could get hired. Where do the "good teachers" want to go? Where there's more money and a better district. I can pretty much guarantee that if you gave a teacher a choice between a nice suburban school district vs. a poor inner city school they'd pick the first.

around where i live, "more money" and "a better district" 2 different places. you actually make less working in better towns.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I understand that you generally make less in a more rural school than urban area school, but it's not necessarily always about how much you make, but what you have. Do you have supportive parents? Do you have the equipment to fully convey your message to your students? Do you have the ability to teach nice elective classes? Do you have a class that is 30 students or 20 students (especially important in a lab based class)? Many good teachers are driven away from where they're needed most.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:50 pm

count2infinity wrote:I understand that you generally make less in a more rural school than urban area school, but it's not necessarily always about how much you make, but what you have. Do you have supportive parents? Do you have the equipment to fully convey your message to your students? Do you have the ability to teach nice elective classes? Do you have a class that is 30 students or 20 students (especially important in a lab based class)? Many good teachers are driven away from where they're needed most.

Man class size is such a huge factor. The difference from even 25 to 20 kids is huge. So much more can be accomplished with a smaller class size. Equipment to fully convey a message is huge as well. I'm currently in a school that doesn't have smart boards, can't access YouTube, and still uses over head projectors with transparencies. Of course I've also seen the schools that had Smart Boards and not used them which is maddening because the kids LOVE them when they're allowed to use them and the teachers aren't fully trained in what the technology can do.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Really, the most important factor in that list is the parents who don't give a crap. The other stuff gets worked around if parents want to. Where I teach it is a lot of two working parents, single parents, and low income. However, the parents care and it shows. Such a huge difference from where I taught in PA, where the income and parental situation was similar, but the level of care was much lower.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I understand that you generally make less in a more rural school than urban area school, but it's not necessarily always about how much you make, but what you have. Do you have supportive parents? Do you have the equipment to fully convey your message to your students? Do you have the ability to teach nice elective classes? Do you have a class that is 30 students or 20 students (especially important in a lab based class)? Many good teachers are driven away from where they're needed most.

Man class size is such a huge factor. The difference from even 25 to 20 kids is huge. So much more can be accomplished with a smaller class size. Equipment to fully convey a message is huge as well. I'm currently in a school that doesn't have smart boards, can't access YouTube, and still uses over head projectors with transparencies. Of course I've also seen the schools that had Smart Boards and not used them which is maddening because the kids LOVE them when they're allowed to use them and the teachers aren't fully trained in what the technology can do.

:thumb:
Had 18 kids last year and have 24 this year. Much harder to give the 1-1 attention now.

I went from a school like you were in to a much more tech savvy school. Smart board, doc camera, laptops, wifi.... I was like, "You mean I get to keep this suff in my room for good?" We used an old overhead projector to warm something up for a science experiment and some of the kids didn't even know what it was.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:29 pm

I think the most important factor in raising good kids is the Ten Commandments. :roll:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR