Galaxy S III or iPhone 5 (with poll)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Galaxy S III or iPhone 5?

Galaxy S III
52%
iPhone 5
48%

Total votes : 27

Re: Galaxy S III or iPhone 5 (with poll)

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I use a Mac and love my Mac for developing...that being said I hate Apple, and Apple's hype.

For mobile platforms I love the Android SDK, and prefer to work in Java as opposed to Apple's XCode, Objective C. That's just personal preference though like the good Chef stated; get what works for you.

As for flash sites, they're going out the window thanks to Apple, and for some previous ActionScript developers I know, that kind of sucks (especially the one's that like to do pretty animations and then do barely no coding at all). For the real ActionScript developers the move to HTML5/Javascript really isn't much of a big deal. Flash sites are archaic anyways, and I wouldn't expect Droid to handle them much longer as it were. However, Adobe's Flex kit is being used more and more in web applications for desktop. That's going to prove to be cumbersome as well, as apps will have to translate to tablets (read iPad). It'll be interesting to see what the future holds, lord knows Adobe makes enough money off of people who don't know how to Torrent and crack the Creative Suite.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:14 am

I agree that Flash is kinda lame...... but just how many sites made/make use of Flash? It's a fairly large chunk of the Internet, and it's closed off for Apple users.

(Said an insomnia-riddled Tif on his - free - iPad)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

tifosi77 wrote:I agree that Flash is kinda lame...... but just how many sites made/make use of Flash? It's a fairly large chunk of the Internet, and it's closed off for Apple users.

:lol:

A company I'm contracted with right now (large restaurant chain) created an entire Flash website 4 or 5 years ago not anticipating the future...now we're going through step by step and redoing the whole thing. (Mad Mex)
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I agree that Flash is kinda lame...... but just how many sites made/make use of Flash? It's a fairly large chunk of the Internet, and it's closed off for Apple users.

:lol:

A company I'm contracted with right now (large restaurant chain) created an entire Flash website 4 or 5 years ago not anticipating the future...now we're going through step by step and redoing the whole thing. (Mad Mex)

I honestly can't remember any of the sites I go to that incorporate flash into their functional part of their website.

Maybe advertisements, but no real actual website management. If they did, they would say do you want HTML or Flash, and I picked HTML every freaking time(but that was like 5 years ago).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Steve Jobs greatest gift to mankind has been to hasten the death of flash.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:00 pm

I would consider a different phone than an iPhone if there wasn't a fundamental requirement to root the phone and research a ton of stuff just to get rid of the bloat. Also every time I have ever been in a store that sells phones that are not iPhones they have non functioning demo units. If I can't try it I'm not buying it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 pm

To dumb it down a bit, consider practicality. I own an S2 and love it. I bought it over the 4s because it was more useful, had 4G capabilities, and mainly because the screen was bigger, and I use my phone a lot for work purposes.

What I will say is that my phone is always on my desk/table/counter and never in my pocket. Just b/c of my work and home life, my phone is rarely, if ever, in my pocket. Assuming you get an actual protective case instead of a designer one, the extra size makes it not the most pocket friendly phone. So for practical decision making, if you are someone who has to keep the phone in your pocket a lot, consider the size difference, bc the S2 is not a pocket friendly phone, and I believe the s3 is the same size. Out of a case it's fine, but again, assuming you get a case that actually protects your phone (mine isn't all the bulky either), the phone becomes fairly substantial.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 pm

I'll be upgrading to an S3 very soon, iPhone not even in the picture. I am a big Google user anyway: Drive, Gmail, Play Music, Calendar, G+, and so on. Our campus is moving to Google Apps for education, meaning we will be using the Gmail interface for campus e-mail, plus all of the extra education and productivity apps.

I also don't want to have to re-purchase all of my Android/Play store apps again (I have a now 2 year old Droid X).

My wife has a iPhone 4 and we own an iPad 2, and are reasonably happy with them...but I just like Android better.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
I also don't want to have to re-purchase all of my Android/Play store apps again (I have a now 2 year old Droid X).

I'm fairly certain you will have to do this
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:40 am

can you rent movies, etc via android?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:can you rent movies, etc via android?

yea there are a few ways. there is google's official store, and then most of the carriers and handset makers have also jumped into that game as well.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 am

how much are they?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:49 am

I think I remember seeing as low as $0.49 to around $5

and then there is this:

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/09/google-p ... downloads/

To celebrate, Google is announcing an amazing sale over the next 5 days with 25 cent downloads from some of the world’s top developers including: Gameloft, Electronic Arts, Rovio, runtastic, Full Fat and more. That’s not all though as Google also announces special collections like “25 movies you must own, 25 banned books, 25 albums that changed the world and our 25 top selling magazines, all at special prices.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

do any of the android phones have expandable storage?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:do any of the android phones have expandable storage?

id say most have SD card slots. it is more rare to find one without. the S3 supports up to a 64gb card.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 am

Yeah mine has a Micro SD card slot (galaxy s2 skyrocket)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 am

i am intrigued by the android realm but fear the switching cost is too high
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I'm fairly certain you will have to do this

I'll rage. Seriously. It won't import in with my Google (Gmail) account?

Nope, Google says I don't have to repurchase these apps: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bi ... wer=113410

The sweet thing about my wife's iPhone and iPad is that we use the same iTunes account for both, and when I get an app for the iPad, it syncs to her iPhone. Like Minecraft PE, it cost $6.99, but we can install and use it on the two devices. I assumed that would be the case for Android.

As for movies, yeah, you can rent movies via the Play store. We rented Elf on the way to Canada last year, and the kids watched it on the road via 3G. With the streaming movie, streaming music (Pandora, Google Play Music) and the 14 hour drive to Toronto, it was the only time I ever came close to going over my "soft cap" of 2 GBs of data. Although I am/we are unlimited right now, this will switch to 1GB when I re-up my contract with the new phone.

Edit: Someone in the Droid thread mentioned that the S3 actually has two micro SD slots, so technically I could plop the SD card from my Droid X and pull over the pictures that way...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:40 am

I got an S3, wife has iPhone 5.

I like the widgets on the S3, hate the S-Voice compared to Siri.

S3 should be getting google now and the jelly bean update.

Both are great phones, you can't go wrong with either.

I like the use of siri to set up calendar events, reminders, and alarms.
I like having the email, calendar, and tasks widgets on the screens of my S3, plus the larger screen and of course Swype.

Cameras are decent on both, I have not tried low light with the iPhone 5 yet.

My wife was not as fluent using the droid, I think the iPhone is a better fit, she gets more out of that.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to NHR