LGP Fantasy Baseball League

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Fantasy Baseball League - Year 3

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am

This seems to me like Idoit would be more on board with this rule/adaptation if DL spots were treated differently throughout the year.

Given the type of league this is, with the extensive farm system and contracts and stuff like that, there should be no limit whatsoever on regular DL spots. If you have 8 players on the DL in May, you should be able to have 8 players available to you to take their place. Given that it's a Roto league, not having that option could take you right out of the running early (Idoit) and makes it very difficult to prioritize the league with your attention.

I think we should bring in 2 rules.

1. DL spots are unlimited. You can use free agents to replace 2 of your DL players, but beyond 2 you must use your own farm players. LTIR is eliminated.

2. August 31 is the deadline for multi-year deals.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:57 am

I like both ideas.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:57 am

Let me also note that if it takes allowing Idoit to keep Tex in order to get him on board with this rule then so be it
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Given the type of league this is, with the extensive farm system and contracts and stuff like that, there should be no limit whatsoever on regular DL spots.

Yep, my opinion on this matter has been documented in this thread...not that that means anything when the thread is this long. :pop:

I also think that given rule 1, multi year deals in September should be allowable.

Also in a Texiera situation, In a situation just like Kraftster was in, put him on LTIR and then if people want to challenge it as needing to be a buyout and drop, address it after the fact.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm

He couldn't put Tex on LTIR because the Yankees never DL'd him

The point was MLB teams have no reason to put guys on the DL in september, so that screws over fantasy owners.

Unless we are now allowing fantasy owners to put players on the DL even if their MLB team doesn't
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:50 pm

The LTIR is completely separate from anything on yahoo. We just drop the player and have an understanding that they are on LTIR. That is exactly the point of that part of my post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I feel almost certain that we discussed a player needing to actually be on the DL. I mean, I see what you are saying that we could stretch LTDL to cover this, but I had no intention of trying to get cute with the rules, and I guess I think it makes more sense to address more head on that some sort of special LTIR circumstance. That said, if we could agree upon the standard for doing it, it would be a viable alternative.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Yeah it was discussed, i'm not saying thats what you should have done, I just think its what we should do moving forward. A blanket "signings in September" rule would be stupid. My feelings on the worth of the signing aside, if Medlen had been signed in September and could only be signed for one year, that would have been stupid.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I agree and don't think I ever advocated a blanket september rule. My proposed September rule would have only covered players who are bought out in September and then subsequently signed.

While on the subject of rule making, I think we should institute a rule disallowing anyone from dropping a player and immediately re-signing for additional years. I don't think it has ever happened, but it crossed my mind that the top person on the waiver list could theoretically do this.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Things get dicey this time of year. Some players who would get put on the DL earlier don't now. But others get out back in the lineup. It's hard to make a judgment call. In one league I'm in we address whether they can be dl'd late in the year this way. If they are listed as out for the season, you can DL them. This is on CBS though, where they state that.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Do we have a compilation of e-mail addresses for those in this league? This rule-making discussion needs to go beyond preliminary talks within this thread and we need to start actually making decisions.

There needs to be a definite rulebook in place prior to the start of next season's draft/buyouts/farm signings
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:35 am

Previously we just have reached a verdict with the people involved in the conversation. These discussions always go on for days, so if someone isn't checking in during that time, they also aren't going to notice a new rule haha.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 am

Mr. Colby wrote:There needs to be a definite rulebook in place prior to the start of next season's draft/buyouts/farm signings

Its a nice idea, good luck with making that happen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:53 am

Much further and I'll have to consider changing my team name again -- to the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Looks like we will have an exciting finish!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 am

I just realized what a love fest I have going on with Seattle players.

Kyle Seager (2 years)
Tom Wilhelmsen (2 years)
Nick Franklin (farm)
Alex Liddi (farm)
Trayvon Robinson (farm)

And I traded Taijuan Walker this year, and I had Michael Pineda who got dealt to the Yanks. wtf?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 am

I long ago realized the love fest I have with Atlanta players. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 am

lol
oh and Felix Hernandez (2) too.....
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 am

This collapse I've got going on could rival the Buccos.

Looking things over, I think its all going to come down to HR/RBI numbers over two days, Mr. Colby. I see you, like me, have conceded your position on steals in favor of going for power. I have more to lose on OBP than you, though. I'm feeling pretty shaky about my chances. Really rooting for MWB's pitchers tonight big time.

I have pulled all the wrong strings on who to start and who to sit over the past couple weeks. My lead over you was 20 on 9/4. Your offense has been crushing.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Wins...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am

I think my collapse is more like the Pirates. I was in striking distance until late July and then found myself fighting to have it look like i've actually been setting my roster.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am

I've never been in this close of a Roto league... a couple days ago 4 teams were within 6 points.

Very fun.

One of my goals was to secure the 4-spot in saves, so I picked up Nathan and that gained me like 3 points.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 am

Mr. Colby wrote:I've never been in this close of a Roto league... a couple days ago 4 teams were within 6 points.

Very fun.

One of my goals was to secure the 4-spot in saves, so I picked up Nathan and that gained me like 3 points.

That was a critical decision for you. I was hoping that you would not make that call because it seemed too easy for you to pick up some points that way.

F-Her really crapped the bed for me this past month and capped it off last night with that dud. I went +0.03 in ERA last night to where I'm only up 0.01 on ulf for the 8 spot now. With the number of innings I have, I really need a horrid night to go +0.03. I had been counting on pitching stats being essentially locked up so to lose a point in ERA would be disasterous -- something I cannot afford.

Assuming you hold onto wins and your position in WHIP (which I expect you will), you're basically capped everywhere but HR. Unfortunately, I could hold you off in HR but lose my position in RBI and OBP and still lose by 0.5.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 pm

****ing peavy....
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Well I went down swinging...

Needed some help with WHIP, Burnett wasn't great and Dempster got shelled. You win this time, Kraftster
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Way too many bats left tonight for me to consider anything to be guaranteed. 3 HRs for you, none for me and a few extra RBIs from MWB and you could make up the necessary ground.

If you do end up going down, it was definitely swinging. I can't believe how much you charged back. I think I said in a PM about 3 months ago that I thought you and I would finish 1-2. :thumb:

I hope we can get more consistent participation next year, I really think this league is set up well.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR