Harrington and Matta

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Harrington and Matta

Postby Caputi19 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 am

If anyone wants to catch them play in Erie, London comes October 6.....just FYI #97 Connor McDavid plays for Erie and is top draft pick 2015
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Harrington and Matta

Postby mikey287 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 am

You won't have a choice but to notice McDavid...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Caputi19 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am

Yea coming in as 15 yr old you would never have guessed his age seeing him play. Hes down right filthy
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am

I'll be there. Should be a good game.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Caputi19 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 am

Ill be there but my seats are part of the unfinished section :(
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 am

Harrington and Maata started the game paired together, but that didn't last long. About three or four shifts into the game, Connor McDavid came down on a 1-on-2 with them and was able to go outside-in on Harrington, then split them. McDavid is the real deal. Hunter broke up Harrington and Maata after that. For the rest of the game, Maata looked much better than Harrington. SH got muscled off a lose puck in the corner that directly resulted in an Otter goal. Maata always, always, always has his head up and moves the puck quickly and throws very crisp passes. I was impressed with his game and quite disappointed in Harrington's.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 pm

MUST DRAFT CONNOR MCDAVID

AT ALL COSTS!!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Bioshock wrote:MUST DRAFT CONNOR MCDAVID

AT ALL COSTS!!!!

I'll take Nathan MacKinnon via the draft lottery that we win after this season is offically cancelled.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Caputi19 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 am

Mcdavid >McKinnon

Yes Harrington got beat then power moved for stuff goal.Connor is very shifty. Harper was the next best otter forward
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm

harrington does need to get stronger.Also noticed how he got beat out of the corner and how he and matta were both caught behind the goal on the penalty kill which led to a goal. He did get off a nice wrist shot that went off the crossbar. Mcdavid did have a nice goal in the first period but i dont think he really stood out after that. Max Domi showed some wheels and i liked the play of Bo Horvat. Blysma ,Guerin and others were in attendance, hope they noticed Horvat too
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sheriff66 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 am

McDavid has 9 points in 7 games, leads all rookies playing for one of the worst team in the league as a 15 year old, complete stud.
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:39 am

Bioshock wrote:MUST DRAFT CONNOR MCDAVID

AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Start tanking now!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Macdavid isn't eligible yet, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:13 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Macdavid isn't eligible yet, right?

He will be by the time this lockout is settled. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Macdavid isn't eligible yet, right?

2015 NHL Draft eligible unless rules are changed with the CBA.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Caputi19 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am

For those of you who missed game in Erie, NHL network is showing the Erie @ London game Friday night, id assume 7pm. See how otters do against London on the road.
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Paekman on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:38 pm

I had a pretty unique opportunity (work-related) that took me to the Peterborough area, so I had the pleasure of attending the Knights (Harrington and Maatta) versus the Petes (Seymour) last night. Each of these three guys had pretty strong game and honestly, Clark Seymour seemed like he's worth mentioning in the same breath as Harrington and Maatta in terms of upside. In my opinion, Seymour might be viewed as a bit of a steal one day.

Harrington and Maatta are very systematic (how could they not be playing for London) and are clearly well on their way to be a big part of the Penguins blueline of the future. Maatta seems to be more of a distributor from the backend, while Harrington seems to like using his shot a bit more. Neither are overly physical, but both seem to be engaged in the defensive side of the game. Harrington probably is a bit more polished than Maatta at this point, in terms of defensive play. Maatta had a couple of 2nd assists and Scott Harrington scored the game-winner on the power play.

Clary Seymour played with Slater Koekkoek for most of the night, and was very noticeable. Seymour is definitely a step slower than Harrington or Maatta, but doesn't seem to be "stiff" on his skates or have issues with changing direction (if that makes sense). Seymour is also quite a bit more physical than Harrington or Maatta. His puck skills are pretty decent, but his offensive numbers appear to be a bit inflated by playing with a quality partner like Koekkoek. In any case, Seymour finished with a goal and two helpers.

Just for a pseudo-comparison, Harrington seems like a more two-way version of Rob Scuderi and Clark Seymour seems like a more fluid version of Brooks Orpik at the OHL level anyway. Olli Maatta seems like he's tough to pinpoint from a comparable standpoint.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Sounds like a good comparison for Harrington. He's made a name for himself as a top-notch defensive player, and seems to have started rounding out his game in the past year or so. He's got a very bright future in the NHL.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:00 pm

In the short vid they posted the other day, i was really impressed with Maata's defensive skills and positioning. Reminded me of Letang given his build. Was Maata fast?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paekman on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:35 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:In the short vid they posted the other day, i was really impressed with Maata's defensive skills and positioning. Reminded me of Letang given his build. Was Maata fast?

Certainly not a scout or anything, but Maatta isn't as "aggressive" of a skater as Letang, if that makes any sense. I think he's quick, but he's not blazing fast. Of course, that's really only based on watching the London/Erie game last Friday night and my trip to Peterborough. Lol.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby oddjobber on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Matta is going to be awesome, just from the highlights, skilled skater for sure..
oddjobber

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins