Friday Discussion - Getting Married Young

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Friday Discussion - Getting Married Young

Postby mac5155 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:08 am

slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:im getting married in less than 9 months and i'll be 25, she'll be 23. :pop:

When we got married, I was 26, wife had just turned 23. For a one-month span every year, I am four years older than her. When we first started dating, I was 23 and she was 19. Giggity.

JUST A CHILL ASS BUSINESSGUY DATING TEENS BRAH

Walmart employed teens to boot. I go for the best :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 am

mac got life figure out.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 am

I just turned 30 and now can't really envision a scenario of me getting married any time soon. Which is a far cry from how I was the previous decade. Dated a girl for 3 years in college and was convinced we were getting married after graduation and that fell apart badly. And my last gf was about as wife material as it gets and I let that one slip away and still not real sure what happened. The college one ended bad, the last one, not so much that still kinda stings. And even tho there were some before those ones and in between them, those are the two that I look back and have trouble seeing myself even being close to that marriage mindset again. I'm quickly becoming the last of my single friends, and all their girls just can't figure that out (one of my good friends openly talks about how his fiance wants me lol) but it's hard to explain to them.

So it's nice to see in this thread that there's really not a right or wrong age or anything. But socially I'm definitely heading in the wrong direction lol
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am

Troy Loney frequently asks himself the question of what he wants out of life....he finds that since he asks himself this a lot, marriage would be a terrible idea.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
So it's nice to see in this thread that there's really not a right or wrong age or anything. But socially I'm definitely heading in the wrong direction lol

Check out that tumblr man. When I get mine up and running tonight I'll link it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:So it's nice to see in this thread that there's really not a right or wrong age or anything.

...unless you're female. different ball game
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 am

Troy Loney wrote:Troy Loney frequently asks himself the question of what he wants out of life....he finds that since he asks himself this a lot, marriage would be a terrible idea.

That's probably smart. If you don't know what you want, then it's smart not to drag someone else into that.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:30 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

Check out that tumblr man. When I get mine up and running tonight I'll link it.

??
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby beerman on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 am

I got married 3 weeks ago, I'm 26, she's 25
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am

My wife has yet to be born.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 am

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:My wife has yet to be born.

That's kind of creepy, yet cool at the same time.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:57 am

beerman wrote:I got married 3 weeks ago, I'm 26, she's 25

Congrats man!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:04 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I'm quickly becoming the last of my single friends, and all their girls just can't figure that out (one of my good friends openly talks about how his fiance wants me lol) but it's hard to explain to them.

Perhaps you just need to have a more "open" mind regarding "relationships" and start exploring all options available. :pop:
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm

newarenanow wrote:

I'll meet her for the first time when she's 18.

:fist:

Just kidding.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 pm

steelhammer wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:I'm quickly becoming the last of my single friends, and all their girls just can't figure that out (one of my good friends openly talks about how his fiance wants me lol) but it's hard to explain to them.

Perhaps you just need to have a more "open" mind regarding "relationships" and start exploring all options available. :pop:

Are you suggesting hooking up with my friends girls? A: not that many of them are that attractive and B: I dont want what my friends got so to speak. :pop:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
steelhammer wrote:

Are you suggesting hooking up with my friends girls? A: not that many of them are that attractive and B: I dont want what my friends got so to speak. :pop:

As demonstrated by a friend of my brother-in-law's, who we call "Random Jim"- it's a short 10 year trip from 30 year old single friend your buddies tell you their wives want to 40 year old creepy hanger-on who gets invited to buddy's kids' birthday parties because they feel bad for him.

Just sayin'.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:38 pm

That's assuming all of your friends live in the suburbs and have wives and kids....i would advise, if your not going to do the wives and kids thing to move into the city.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I'll meet her for the first time when she's 18.

:fist:

Just kidding.

Let's see, if I'm 41 now and want to have a 25 year old gold digger when I'm 80.... wow.

EDIT: Oh hi, Mrs. PghSkins....
Last edited by PghSkins on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Troy Loney wrote:That's assuming all of your friends live in the suburbs and have wives and kids....i would advise, if your not going to do the wives and kids thing to move into the city.

or become a hermit in the boonies. which is kenny the kangaroo's plan if kenny the kangaroo does not get married.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:50 pm

PghSkins wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
steelhammer wrote:

As demonstrated by a friend of my brother-in-law's, who we call "Random Jim"- it's a short 10 year trip from 30 year old single friend your buddies tell you their wives want to 40 year old creepy hanger-on who gets invited to buddy's kids' birthday parties because they feel bad for him.

Just sayin'.

Haha So I would just be "Random Dude?" I hope I'm not headed that way. I still have a number of single/unmarried friends to go out with so either its normal or we just all suck.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Married in 2011, I was 25, she was 24. If this darn lockout doesn't end soon, I'll probably have a kid about 9 months from October 12th.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I was with the same girl for 6 years and it didn't work out. I think i touched on this in a topic i made long ago.

Anyways, i made the mistake of staying with someone for a very long time and now that it didn't work out i'm left all alone. I'm 26, with a very good career and i like to think i'm in good shape, but i can't even get a sniff from the opposite sex. I'm just too entrenched with my career and work overall. I rarely have time to go out and all my friends are either engaged or married now.

I know this sounds grim but i do truly think i will be alone forever and since i'm the one who was foolish enough to put myself in this position, i'm at peace with that fact. I sure hope i'm wrong but at least i felt what it was like to be on love once in my life, and for that, i am thankful.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 pm

I've thought about changing my FB status to "In an Open Relationship" and see how long it takes for my wife to either notice or be told about it. Hmm
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 pm

I guess I am naive, but I was kind of blown away to realize how common the "open relationship" thing is. Perhaps it is just more common in graduate students? Anyway, I still remember the first time I was at a party (already a rare occurrence) when I was accosted by someone from that team. It took me a very long time to realize what was going on and by then my face was so red you could have started a fire with it. I got the hell out of there with my girlfriend at the time. If that wasn't embarrassing enough, I had to explain to my girlfriend (also naive) what happened several times and what "in an open relationship" status on facebook really means. Then she gave me the "oh, you liked it" treatment. It felt like a Seinfeld episode. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Getting married Nov. 10. I'm 28 (today) and she's 29
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR