Live suicide on Fox News

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Live suicide on Fox News

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:22 pm

mac5155 wrote:
It's not like there are many other lyrics other than "that's why I say hey man nice shot"

I was just thinking "Take a Picture" lyrics are the same.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Its a shame. Guy used to have such a good head on his shoulders.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:39 pm

viva la ben wrote:If the raw video is out there it should be on liveleak

its out there.

Not as graphic as I thought it would be, but there's still that "holy ----" moment that goes down in about half a second.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm

There used to be some common decency where certain things weren't shown on TV. I don't know or care who this guy was but if he has relatives I think the footage should be destroyed. It serves no function.
Maybe 20 years ago there was a southwest prison riot (Arizona I think). The inmates killed other inmates and in a live gruesome scene 2 hooded cons with blowtorches brought another inmate to a window to show the media. They proceeded to kill this guy by burning his face and head with the blowtorches. Luckily that was before the internet and in a time where there was some integrity as to what would be shown. Other than morbid curiosity what is useful about showing all the details?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Meh. As a regular visitor to Liveleak, I’ve seen videos of people: getting shot, stabbed, and electrocuted; falling from great heights; being squashed by heavy equipment; being eaten by crocodiles; and being flung out of car accidents to smash on the ground (that one seems especially popular among Saudis trying to drift their cars). This wasn’t really all that gruesome compared to some of the other stuff I’ve seen.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:35 pm

I do agree with Shyster in that respect. To the average viewer at home that isn't normally exposed to this stuff, that could be emotionally scarring. I have seen things....horrible, terrible things, on the Internet. I am so desensitized to this kind of thing that it takes something EXTREMELY disturbing to faze me.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Don't you think it was weird he said they were supposed to be on delay, but it appeared as though Shep's voice was the thing they delayed, not the video?

The guy kills himself, then it cuts to Shepard Smith, and a second later, he starts yelling at them to cut the feed.

Someone botched up the delay.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm with Geezer on this one. But at the same time, we're all desensitized.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 pm

JS© wrote:
viva la ben wrote:If the raw video is out there it should be on liveleak

its out there.

Not as graphic as I thought it would be, but there's still that "holy ----" moment that goes down in about half a second.

Honestly, that was nothing. The Bud Dwyer suicide was much more graphic. But, none of that compares to a recorded beheading on the old Ogrish.com. That literally made me sick.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Shyster wrote:Meh. As a regular visitor to Liveleak, I’ve seen videos of people: getting shot, stabbed, and electrocuted; falling from great heights; being squashed by heavy equipment; being eaten by crocodiles; and being flung out of car accidents to smash on the ground (that one seems especially popular among Saudis trying to drift their cars). This wasn’t really all that gruesome compared to some of the other stuff I’ve seen.

:thumb: hah...just posted the same thing. I watched a troop of Eastern Europeans (Serbs I think) literally cut off a Russian soldiers head...absolutely stomach churning.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Gotta love filter...sad ending though
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:38 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Don't you think it was weird he said they were supposed to be on delay, but it appeared as though Shep's voice was the thing they delayed, not the video?

The guy kills himself, then it cuts to Shepard Smith, and a second later, he starts yelling at them to cut the feed.

I think it was more he was seeing "more" on his feed, not realizing they cut the actual live feed off.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Pitts wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Don't you think it was weird he said they were supposed to be on delay, but it appeared as though Shep's voice was the thing they delayed, not the video?

I think it was more he was seeing "more" on his feed, not realizing they cut the actual live feed off.

But you don't think it was weird everything he was saying was behind the video, or was it just me?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 pm

i always thought that Filter song was saying "heeeeeeeey man... hooooooooow's it goin'?"
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Geezer wrote:There used to be some common decency where certain things weren't shown on TV. I don't know or care who this guy was but if he has relatives I think the footage should be destroyed. It serves no function.

That's what makes this incident so unfortunate...... from what (admittedly little) I've heard, it was not supposed to be broadcast.

At the beginning of the coverage, there's a period of about 10 seconds where there is no commentary from the studio crew. What they were doing was building up the delay buffer, which is standard practice for coverage of live news events. For whatever reason, when it came time to dump out of the feed and invoke that buffer, the board operator either didn't do it, or did do it and it didn't flip over.

That it made it to broadcast was a total - and unfortunate - accident.

Still doesn't compare to Budd Dwyer...... geesh......
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DMcGrew on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am

tifosi77 wrote:Still doesn't compare to Budd Dwyer...... geesh......

Just youtubed that... HOLY ****

I never knew about this. Need to read up on what the reason was behind it.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:36 am

Pitts wrote:
Shyster wrote:Meh. As a regular visitor to Liveleak, I’ve seen videos of people: getting shot, stabbed, and electrocuted; falling from great heights; being squashed by heavy equipment; being eaten by crocodiles; and being flung out of car accidents to smash on the ground (that one seems especially popular among Saudis trying to drift their cars). This wasn’t really all that gruesome compared to some of the other stuff I’ve seen.

:thumb: hah...just posted the same thing. I watched a troop of Eastern Europeans (Serbs I think) literally cut off a Russian soldiers head...absolutely stomach churning.

Chechens
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:58 am

DMcGrew wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Still doesn't compare to Budd Dwyer...... geesh......

Just youtubed that... HOLY ****

I never knew about this. Need to read up on what the reason was behind it.

Political corruption.

Saw it and it burns in my memory. Nothing like people dying in even the most realistic movies.

You can really see the life leave his body.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 am

Geezer wrote:There used to be some common decency where certain things weren't shown on TV. I don't know or care who this guy was but if he has relatives I think the footage should be destroyed. It serves no function.
Maybe 20 years ago there was a southwest prison riot (Arizona I think). The inmates killed other inmates and in a live gruesome scene 2 hooded cons with blowtorches brought another inmate to a window to show the media. They proceeded to kill this guy by burning his face and head with the blowtorches. Luckily that was before the internet and in a time where there was some integrity as to what would be shown. Other than morbid curiosity what is useful about showing all the details?
I agree that there should be some decency but I don't buy that integrity was any different way back when. 1965 and Nguyen Van Lem was executed by a general in front an NBC camera. They showed the footage round the world.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:16 am

bh wrote:
I agree that there should be some decency but I don't buy that integrity was any different way back when. 1965 and Nguyen Van Lem was executed by a general in front an NBC camera. They showed the footage round the world.

Or the JFK assassination which they show maybe 5000 times on History Channel around November 22nd
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:25 am

MRandall25 wrote:Or the JFK assassination which they show maybe 5000 times on History Channel around November 22nd

My 9th grade history teacher not only showed us the video, he kept rewinding it and showing it over and over.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 am

the wicked child wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Or the JFK assassination which they show maybe 5000 times on History Channel around November 22nd

My 9th grade history teacher not only showed us the video, he kept rewinding it and showing it over and over.

All while commenting "Back, and to the left"?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:31 pm

tifosi77 wrote:[

Still doesn't compare to Budd Dwyer...... geesh......

True. Called a presser and blew his brains on the air.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Wow I just youtubed Bud Dwyer. thats.. nuts.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 pm

yeah same here... woof
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR