Attack Of The Stink Bugs!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Attack Of The Stink Bugs!

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 pm

My pad literally had like 20 on the door. My poor dog is literally getting dive bombed when he goes outside. Today espically them seem bad. It almost seems like the stink bugs are trying to reclaim what is there's.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Attack Of The Stink Bugs!

Postby Cagsjr724 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Counted 30 of them on my garage door this evening.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Indian summer bringing them out? Facebook was unbearable thanks to those insects.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby roland on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 am

They tend to flock to one window in my house. I killed about 30-40 yesterday in an hour span with dawn dish soap and warm water in a spray bottle. I felt like the door gunner in Full Metal Jacket while blasting them away. "Get Some!! Get Some!!"
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 am

OK, resident Scotts Miracle Gro Rep here....get yourself a 1.33 Gallon Magic Wand Home Defense from Home Depot/Lowe's/Walmart and spray around the perimeter of your house, inside and out, around all doors and windows, and anywhere you think the bastards could get in. Home Defense will not only kill them, it will prevent them from coming in again as well. It is a barrier that protects the house from just about every bug you can think of.

That is what it looks like. The wand is battery operated, so you don't have to keep squeezing the trigger. There is also a 1 gallon size and a 24 oz. size that you have to squeeze the trigger. The wand should cost around $14.98, while the gallon is $7.47, and the 24 oz. is $5.94 I believe. Spray this stuff everywhere, it dries in an hour and will not harm your pets. It's odorless, so you won't have to deal with any foul odors.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 am

I have a sunroom off the back of my house and there is brush/woods behind my house so you peasants talking about 30-40 are lol to me.

They come and land on teh screens/doors/siding all around the back. Usually, when they get in, I just get a container and fill it with soap water...put it under them and use something to knock them off and in - or they usually try to fly away but because they are heavy and clumsy, fall right in the cup like they are commiting suicide.

The ones that were within my reach - I walked back and forth around the sunroom and did this (I went outside to kill a bunch before they got in). Every time I made it to one side and walked back, there was more within reach. I probably killed around 125...and that was just in my reach - If I could reach higher I probably could have gotten closer to 200 easy.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am

Knock on wood, but we moved into a newly renovated place back in 2009, and it has shown as we haven't had a lot of stink bugs. Had a big one yesterday buzzing around the light in our living room, just did the ol' toilet paper and flush method.

This time of year is the worst, because on top of the fact they are coming in, the weather is still warm so they are still relatively alert and fast. As the weather gets cold, they get much more docile/dumb.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am

BUST KINGS
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 am

An entymologist on the news last night said the shorter days/cool nights have kicked in the stinkbugs into winter survival mode. They are looking for warm places to crash for the winter.

They showed one woman's car, literally blanketed with bugs. Ick.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 am

Cut a 2liter pop bottle off right at the top of the label. flip it upside down to make a funnel-like shape. stick a light in the bottom, and tape the bottom half of the bottle so the light doesnt shine out the sides. give them masking tape lines to climb up and in to the bottle. watch as the stink bugs flock to the light and fall in the funnel.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby roland on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 am

Expert on KDKA says "He says the stink bug invasion is not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago."

Expert on WPXi says "Experts: Stink bug invasion may be worse than ever"

WTAE says that stink bugs are out in full force, no experts weighed in.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 am

But what station read Steeler tweets on the situation
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 am

There are certain factors working for and against us.

For: A lot of natural predators have adapted to start hunting stink bugs, and that has helped put a dent in their population. Also, companies have gotten better at designing products to target them.

Against: The mild winter last year and warm summer this year have probably given them an extra hatching season.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby demondg1 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 am

Take a trip to Target. Buy the biggest, most bad ass Super Soaker they got. Pick up one of those big jugs of Damn. Mix up some soapy water. Fire away.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:40 am

I think there have been less stink bugs throughout the warmer months this year compared to last...but now that the weather is turning - there is way more showing up at this time than last year.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 am

this is my stink bug death camp. I put some lysol and water in an old pickle jar, catch them in a plastic tumbler with an index card, dump them into the death camp and then when it gets full, i dump it in the toilet and flush the bastards. luckily this is a picture from my old place. the new place doesn't have a stink bug problem.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby meow on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 am

meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 am

count2infinity wrote:Image

this is my stink bug death camp. I put some lysol and water in an old pickle jar, catch them in a plastic tumbler with an index card, dump them into the death camp and then when it gets full, i dump it in the toilet and flush the bastards. luckily this is a picture from my old place. the new place doesn't have a stink bug problem.

Yes, that is exactly how I killed the ones I was talking about. I didn't have a big jug so I was using plastic cups...had to use 3 of them and have around 40-50 in each one. I took a picture and it is pure carnage. Can't post it from work though.

Hey, I don't hunt or anything and I hate those darn things - so killing them was fun. I swear they get smarter though and start flying away when I get close.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 am

The problem with creating traps like that (they aren't the worst idea) is that the scent of all the dead stink bugs attracts more to come inside. That's why if you have a pretty manageable stink bug population (a couple inside per day maybe), you are better off just picking them up with toilet paper and flushing them.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 am

shafnutz05 wrote:The problem with creating traps like that (they aren't the worst idea) is that the scent of all the dead stink bugs attracts more to come inside. That's why if you have a pretty manageable stink bug population (a couple inside per day maybe), you are better off just picking them up with toilet paper and flushing them.

Yeah, but the stink bugs are dead under water and the soap helps mask any smell - so you can kill a bunch and then flush them...or better yet...dump the dead somewhere in the woods or something to attract them away from your house
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 am

I've been fortunate teh past few years to have a minimal stinkbug problem at my house. But this morning, I got into my car and opened the door and all along where there is the little spaces between the door and the body of the car, there were stinkbugs. I hurried up and backed the car out and opened all 4 doors and they were everywhere. I worked late last night and we have a big issue at work, and they were probably all over the car and tried to crawl in and just camped out there. Got about 30 or 40 of them. I knocked them all off down the road, but I'm worried I got some in my garage now, which will make it's way into my house.

So soapy water kills them?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 am

My wife used to share a house with someone...I felt so bad for her. Her bedroom used to be INFESTED with them. I'm talking one to two dozen every night. You know how girls like to tape birthday cards and such on the walls? She was cleaning one night, and went to grab one of the cards above her bed. About 20 stink bugs that had gathered in the card all fell out into her hair, face, and even down her shirt. She called me crying that night :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:12 am

newarenanow wrote:I've been fortunate teh past few years to have a minimal stinkbug problem at my house. But this morning, I got into my car and opened the door and all along where there is the little spaces between the door and the body of the car, there were stinkbugs. I hurried up and backed the car out and opened all 4 doors and they were everywhere. I worked late last night and we have a big issue at work, and they were probably all over the car and tried to crawl in and just camped out there. Got about 30 or 40 of them. I knocked them all off down the road, but I'm worried I got some in my garage now, which will make it's way into my house.

So soapy water kills them?

More drowns them and helps mask the smell. If you only see 1 or 2, then just catch and flush.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:34 am

Do they actually stink? I have never in my life smelled a stink bug.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 am

JeffDFD wrote:More drowns them and helps mask the smell. If you only see 1 or 2, then just catch and flush.

Yeah, I"ve been fortunate where in my house, I might catch 1 or 2 a week and I just flush down the toilet. But after seeing my car last night, and having it in the garage, I'm worried my house is now going to be run over.

How do they multiply so much? Are they like Gremlins where if they get wet they multiply?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR