Do you floss?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Do you floss?

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
columbia wrote:Twice a day, without fail.

And make sure you go to the dentist twice a year. That's essential.

Or you'll be like Troy Loney and not have gone for years, and then when you do finally show up to the dentist your dropping $2K for dental work in one year.

exactly.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

Or you'll be like Troy Loney and not have gone for years, and then when you do finally show up to the dentist your dropping $2K for dental work in one year.

but think about all those years without a dental payment!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

I am genuinely shocked that you, of all people, let yourself go multiple years without a dental visit.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Quick question, do you floss before brushing? As in, you loosen up the little food bits with the floss and then brush it out and rinse? Or is it the other way around?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question, do you floss before brushing? As in, you loosen up the little food bits with the floss and then brush it out and rinse? Or is it the other way around?

good question, that's what I do, but have wondered (but not enough to actually ask a dentist)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm

I went 5 years without a dentist visit :(

didn't have the money or the insurance to go and get things fixed. ended up with a root canal when I finally got insurance which I described in a thread when it occured... turned out that I had a "hot tooth" as the dentist called it... no novocaine could take the pain away, so I felt EVERYTHING. I haven't gone since I've moved to State College. I need to though.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:34 pm

The impetus of the thread is I went to the dentist for the first time in three years, as I did not have insurance (and still don't), but the local dentist offered a new patient special that included cleaning, examination, and x-rays for $49. It's a brilliant plan, as I will now purchase insurance through my employer's open enrollment (adverse selection FTW) and go back to get the work.

All in all, I didn't think their finding were that bad given that I only brush twice a day and don't floss. I do have a chipped molar that was caused by the cavities, but nothing as bad as what c2i said.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:39 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

I am genuinely shocked that you, of all people, let yourself go multiple years without a dental visit.

You have a lower jeans budget, I guess.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Kraftster wrote:I should more because I haven't been to the dentist for about 5 years.

The dentist yesterday asked what I did and then said "We get a lot of lawyers in this office." I joked, "we're not good customers, in any context." She said they "just seem to put stuff off."
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:42 pm

I need a root canal. It doesnt hurt so i've been putting it off for a year and a half now. Our dental insurance is changing next year i should probably go this year.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:42 pm

mac5155 wrote:I need a root canal. It doesnt hurt so i've been putting it off for a year and a half now. Our dental insurance is changing next year i should probably go this year.

Hmm....yeah that's a really bad idea, even if it doesn't hurt yet.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

I think I have some weird phobia about making appointments with med/dental establishments....once i was out of college off mom's insurance plan, I had to set these things up myself....thus it didn't happen till i looked around enough on the aetna website that I could basically set it all up online. I found the three step process daunting 1. finding a local dentist that accepted my insurance. 2. setting up the apt 3 arranging work/life schedule to go to said apt.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Michael Scott on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Water pick for me. Love it.
Michael Scott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I need a root canal. It doesnt hurt so i've been putting it off for a year and a half now. Our dental insurance is changing next year i should probably go this year.

Hmm....yeah that's a really bad idea, even if it doesn't hurt yet.

I guess it depends where the tooth is...worst case scenario would be the tooth gets pulled.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:48 pm

mine didn't hurt either...

Spoiler:
until they started drilling. good luck.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:49 pm

eddysnake wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question, do you floss before brushing? As in, you loosen up the little food bits with the floss and then brush it out and rinse? Or is it the other way around?

good question, that's what I do, but have wondered (but not enough to actually ask a dentist)

My dentist told me, brush, floss, mouthwash, rinse. But he's a drunk, so who knows.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

I was in indescribable pain both times I needed a root canal. I still think I'm going to have my lawyer (my friend) look into it to see if I can get the dentist to refund the money I had to pay for those root canals.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I had a root canal on one of my front teeth after I took a stick to the mouth. The tooth was essential perpendicular of where it should have been and that severed the nerve clean off. That was a bad day.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby steelhammer on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I was in indescribable pain both times I needed a root canal. I still think I'm going to have my lawyer (my friend) look into it to see if I can get the dentist to refund the money I had to pay for those root canals.

And drive up the cost to the rest of us with your frivolous dental malpractice suit? Hmmmphh.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 pm

count2infinity wrote:

mine didn't hurt either...

Spoiler:
until they started drilling. good luck.

I know. I believe its on my second premolar on the left side. occasionally i chomp down on a popcorn kernel and get a nice shooting pain. I would have to go to sedation dentist. No freaking way i'd use only Novocaine.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 pm

steelhammer wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I was in indescribable pain both times I needed a root canal. I still think I'm going to have my lawyer (my friend) look into it to see if I can get the dentist to refund the money I had to pay for those root canals.

And drive up the cost to the rest of us with your frivolous dental malpractice suit? Hmmmphh.

Both root canals were within 5-6 months of this dentist giving me fillings on those teeth. Basically, the teeth never bothered me at all, I got bad fillings so I then needed major dental work (crown and fillings on these teeth). I don't think there's a coincidence there.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i floss 2x/day

I love buying those floss pick thingys
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 am

newarenanow wrote:I floss like 3 or 4 times a week.

I used to not floss and the dentist told me my gums would start to recede from my teeth and they'd eventually fall out. When I started, my gums bled like bloody hell and it hurt. But after about 2 weeks, it got better, and now when I floss, no bleeding at all and my gums feel nice and healthy.

I bled constantly too. I would complain to the dentist every time too about sensitive gums and teeth. Once I started flossing regularly, that all went away.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR