NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

NASA may be preparing to announce an initiative to begin building a floating Moon base for future deep space missions following the U.S. presidential election next month, Space.com reported this week.
The space agency's rumored plan to construct and position a "gateway spacecraft" that could support a small crew of astronauts and serve as a staging platform for future missions to the Moon, Mars, and elsewhere in the solar system was first reported last month by the Orlando Sentinel, though NASA contractor Boeing had actually floated a similar plan late last year.
As with the Sentinel report, Space.com cited unnamed sources with insights into NASA's internal plans.


http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410535,00.asp

This is really pretty cool, if it comes to fruition. All your (moon) base belong to us...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,765
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm

That would be sweet.

Not to cross-pollinate the threads, but it's a shame the only legitimately big idea any presidential candidate touted on the campaign trail was Newt Gingrich's moon base agenda. The shame of course being twofold; that he was mocked for it, and that it was..... well, that it was Gingrich's idea.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Image
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,509
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 pm

:thumb: :lol:

I had the Eagle playset when I was a kid.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Maybe now we'll finally find the Decipticon's lair.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,137
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby ILikeTurtles on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Moon base Zappa?
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,935
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Searching the Congo for Crocosaurus.

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I will go to Mars still.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby redwill on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Rylan wrote:I will go to Mars still.


Image
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,340
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:07 am

Image
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,654
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Zeros

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 am

I fully give credit to Newt Gingrich. As soon as he announced his plans for that it let the other politicians know that people of both parties actually want this stuff, since that was by far the most popular thing he said in the primaries.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,532
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 am

Until they build a real life Deathstar, I will not be impressed.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,586
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby relantel on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am

Too good to be true. Will take quite some time just to get US manned spaceflight going again with all the program cancellations and all.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,618
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Shyster on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 pm

It would take far less time and far, far less money to construct this station if NASA contracted it to the private sector. For example, SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket, which the company plans to test-fly next year, has a designed payload rating of 16,000 kg to trans-lunar trajectory. That is more than enough lift to place modules of the size the International Space Station is made of at the L-Point. And SpaceX is already developing that rocket. NASA doesn’t need to spend a single penny on the launch system. The Falcon Heavy has also been designed to meet all known requirements of human rating, so it can send humans to that position too.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,774
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Image
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,146
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:Image


Bank
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,654
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Zeros

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby ulf on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Shyster wrote:It would take far less time and far, far less money to construct this station if NASA contracted it to the private sector. For example, SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket, which the company plans to test-fly next year, has a designed payload rating of 16,000 kg to trans-lunar trajectory. That is more than enough lift to place modules of the size the International Space Station is made of at the L-Point. And SpaceX is already developing that rocket. NASA doesn’t need to spend a single penny on the launch system. The Falcon Heavy has also been designed to meet all known requirements of human rating, so it can send humans to that position too.

Are you telling me someone can do something better than our government?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,746
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Shyster on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Here’s a great example. In 2010, NASA finished building a 390-foot-tall mobile launch tower at Kennedy Space Center. That tower was for launching Ares I rockets, which have now been canceled. It may never be used. According to Spaceflight Now, “The total cost of the mobile launcher project is estimated at around $500 million, according to NASA.”

So NASA spent half a billion dollars building a launch tower for a rocket that will never fly. Not a rocket, not a spacecraft—a half billion spent on a launch tower. On the other hand, the estimated development costs for SpaceX’s Falcon rockets is around $300 million. That was for the development of two clean-sheet-of-paper launch vehicles (the Falcon 1 and the Falcon 9), including rocket engines, flight computers, navigation systems, launch sites, and all other hardware. In fact, NASA once estimated what it would have cost them to develop the Falcon 9 had they done it themselves. NASA estimated that Falcon 9 would have cost them $3.977 billion to develop: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/586023main_8-3-11_NAFCOM.pdf

That’s a difference in price in excess of an order of magnitude.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,774
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Mass Effect
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,409
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:43 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Mass Effect


I've always been a huge astronomy buff, which is probably why I loved that series so much.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,573
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Image
Willie Kool
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,804
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Basically, can't **** with me

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:36 am

Lol NASA...30 years behind the MIC... :face:
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,923
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby columbia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 am

"Iron Sky": I will be watching that soonish.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,509
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 pm

newarenanow wrote:Until they build a real life Deathstar, I will not be impressed.

According to pre-production artwork, the Death Star was 100 miles in diameter.... or about the distance between Altoona and Pittsburgh, or Los Angeles and San Diego.

That would indeed be.... impressive.

Spoiler:
Most impressive.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Shyster wrote:Here’s a great example. In 2010, NASA finished building a 390-foot-tall mobile launch tower at Kennedy Space Center. That tower was for launching Ares I rockets, which have now been canceled. It may never be used. According to Spaceflight Now, “The total cost of the mobile launcher project is estimated at around $500 million, according to NASA.”

So NASA spent half a billion dollars building a launch tower for a rocket that will never fly. Not a rocket, not a spacecraft—a half billion spent on a launch tower. On the other hand, the estimated development costs for SpaceX’s Falcon rockets is around $300 million. That was for the development of two clean-sheet-of-paper launch vehicles (the Falcon 1 and the Falcon 9), including rocket engines, flight computers, navigation systems, launch sites, and all other hardware. In fact, NASA once estimated what it would have cost them to develop the Falcon 9 had they done it themselves. NASA estimated that Falcon 9 would have cost them $3.977 billion to develop: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/586023main_8-3-11_NAFCOM.pdf

That’s a difference in price in excess of an order of magnitude.

Which of course explains the glut of privately funded manned flights to the moon since 1969. I mean, sheesh..... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some dude's space rocket.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: NASA may be preparing a moon base announcement...!

Postby BigMcK on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm

The Astronaut Farmer. Government is not too keen on rouge rocket makers launching themselves into space.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469263/
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Catching waterfalls in my piggybank

Next

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

e-mail