W & J Student Murdered Last Night

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

W & J Student Murdered Last Night

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 am

Washington police are investigating the death of a Washington & Jefferson College student early today. Washington police Chief Robert Lemons said the man, whose identity has not been released, was found unresponsive off campus and later died at Washington Hospital. Lemons said police are treating the death as suspicious. He said police would not have more information until an autopsy is performed.

Evidently, he was jumped by "Townies" and found dead. W-T-F.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: W & J Student Murdered Last Night

Postby Godric on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 am

link?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 am

That's all that's in the news. My girlfriend and I are alums, so our Facebooks have blown up with the news.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 am

TheHammer24 wrote:That's all that's in the news. My girlfriend and I are alums, so our Facebooks have blown up with the news.

Oh.

That sucks
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 am

Friend's cousin goes there. I hope he is OK.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:04 am

Doh
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:22 am

I'm an alum. Not cool. I always felt uncomfortable walking around late at night alone
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 am

That is sad. Hard not to suspect foul play..
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I'm an alum. Not cool. I always felt uncomfortable walking around late at night alone

Which year?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:I'm an alum. Not cool. I always felt uncomfortable walking around late at night alone

Which year?

Bunch of people on facebook and twitter from there are blaming the school... look I dislike the way stuff is run there as much as the next guy and I can't stand the president but how can the school be accountable for an off-campus murder?

All they can do is have security patrol more since Wednesday night is bar night, but that still doesn't guarantee something like that wouldn't happen
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Which year?

Bunch of people on facebook and twitter from there are blaming the school... look I dislike the way stuff is run there as much as the next guy and I can't stand the president but how can the school be accountable for an off-campus murder?

All they can do is have security patrol more since Wednesday night is bar night, but that still doesn't guarantee something like that wouldn't happen

Fraternity?

And yeah, I agree. W&J Security can't create a secure walkway from Chestnut to V.I.P. The best thing to do is walk with others in that situation.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Is Washington seriously that dangerous of an area? I mean.. when I was in HS we played Wash high in FB and sometimes things got out of hand. But it's Washington not Detroit.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:27 pm

mac5155 wrote:Is Washington seriously that dangerous of an area? I mean.. when I was in HS we played Wash high in FB and sometimes things got out of hand. But it's Washington not Detroit.

The fraternity parking lots are adjacent to Section 8 housing. And the residents of those housing projects go share the same route to downtown and the bars. Lots of petty car vandalism and stuff too. Section 8 residents and liberal arts college students are not a great mix.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 pm

No frat, hockey though
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Stoosh on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Holy crap.

I'm an alum as well (1998). The intersection of College and Maiden Streets is right near the corner of campus that houses Davis Hall and Dieter-Porter Hall. I was a psychology major at W&J and almost all of my psych classes were in Dieter-Porter. It's a pretty well-lit area, but it's also one of the corners of campus far removed from any security. That corner of campus kind of sits up a little bit from the street, so I guess there are areas there that are kind of "hidden" from regular traffic. At night, I can't say it's a very highly-patrolled area, but there's usually a fair amount of automobile traffic.

That's just sad. The campus security when I was there wasn't worth a crap. They usually had a staff of maybe 3-4 guys that patrolled on weeknights, and then increased it to maybe 6-7 on weekends, especially during the fall weekends when most of the parties happen. Then again, I was also there before much of the school expanded so I'm not sure if they've increased the security.

Even still, I don't know that I'd blame the school/lack of security for this.

There were issues on weekends from time to time with "townies". I wouldn't say trouble was frequent but whenever there were incidents, the Washington police were always called and they handled it. The worst thing that ever happened when I was there was an on-campus stabbing - one of the football players was stabbed in the back with a small knife trying to break up a fight that a townie started with another kid.

When I was there, for the most part, I tried to refrain from walking anywhere off campus at night by myself. It's not a horrible area overall but as TheHammer24 said, there were certain areas (ironically, mostly at the opposite end of campus from where this happened) that you didn't really want to be out by yourself after dark.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:51 pm

I think College and Maiden is technically not considered campus, but feet from it.

But yeah you got the area right, Davis and DP are there and then there's the new building (Swanson) that took the place of Mcelwain hall or whatever it was called. Davis is a nightmare though.

Closest bar to the incident? Hungry Jose's i believe
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Washington & Jefferson College, you were made aware of these problems over two years ago. You brought in the Washington Police Department to assure students that there was absolutely nothing they could do. You have made no effective efforts to increase safety at the campus. You will never get a dime from me. Hopefully, it only takes the murder of one student for you to pull your head out of your ass.

Suggested Reforms:
Reopen the student bar on campus so students don't have to go to trashy townie bars like V.I.P. to get a drink.

Employ actual security guards that are able to protect students.

Monitor a couple of blocks beyond campus -- if the Washington Police aren't going to, you owe it to your students to do so.

Provide transportation to and from Main Street on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Campus patrol drives all over the place and does nothing already, so you might as well make them useful.

Allow kegs at fraternities to promote the idea that students don't need to leave campus to have fun.

PROVIDE ADEQUATE SECURITY SERVICES TO SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES. The level of protection afforded to them, particularly in light of the break-ins from last year, is inexcusable.

Brrrrutal
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

DYK: Allowing kegs in campus frathouses can combat murder!
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm

A W&J student was killed...beaten to death by a bunch of lunatics who should have been taken off the street a long time ago. I've lost all faith in humanity. I want everyone in the W&J administration fired (including the president)...NOW. She and others failed to protect an entire campus and someone lost his life in the process...heartless bastards.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Brutal? really...? I guess I'm not aware of the situation as much as you are.. but come on. You simply cannot allow alcohol on a college campus. It sends the wrong message completely.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:13 pm

mac5155 wrote:Brutal? really...? I guess I'm not aware of the situation as much as you are.. but come on. You simply cannot allow alcohol on a college campus. It sends the wrong message completely.

Yeah. I think, though I'm not sure, Mr. Colby is sarcastically quoting friends from facebook.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Oh. Yeah. I see that now.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:17 pm

i visited several colleges that served alcohol in their student unions
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm

I guess what I'm comparing it to is my experience at Penn State where you walk across the street and you're at a bar, 2-3 more blocks you're on frat row. The frats on campus have parties. But they are all regulated very heavily by the IFC due to what happened in 2009 with Joe Dado's death. However Joe was an underage freshman. It would seem this individual at W&J is over 21.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR