New iPhone coming..

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New iPhone coming..

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 am

Apple iPhone supplier halts China factory after violence
http://www.freep.com/article/20120924/B ... y=nav|head
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:50 am

For those that like physical keyboards (this one is for the iPhone 4, have to search around for a 5 one or wait for one to be made)

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Wireless-B ... one+5+case
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:15 am

tifosi77 wrote:Image

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 am

If I preordered from Apple, will it come with a new 4G SIM card?? We're on AT&T
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm

So she got her new phone last night. Now you need the new iTunes 10.7. Which you can only get with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or above. Her Mac Book from 2008 has OS X 10.5 Leopard on it. So a computer thats 4 years old is not compatible with this phone without a software update.

Apple didn't become the richest company in the world by being stupid. Off to the Apple store to buy a new OS upgrade.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:17 pm

mac5155 wrote:So she got her new phone last night. Now you need the new iTunes 10.7. Which you can only get with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or above. Her Mac Book from 2008 has OS X 10.5 Leopard on it. So a computer thats 4 years old is not compatible with this phone without a software update.

Apple didn't become the richest company in the world by being stupid. Off to the Apple store to buy a new OS upgrade.

Oh great... I'll be in the same boat.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:So she got her new phone last night. Now you need the new iTunes 10.7. Which you can only get with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or above. Her Mac Book from 2008 has OS X 10.5 Leopard on it. So a computer thats 4 years old is not compatible with this phone without a software update.

When did she preorder her phone? In your post previous to this you hadn't preordered it yet lol. I ordered mine on Sept 17th and it still isn't in yet. Very annoying.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:01 pm

My iMac is up to date with the latest build of mountain lion. I may try to get an iPhone 5 at the AT&T store this weekend.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Those that have the 5 now, how does it compare to the 4 or 4s
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:

When did she preorder her phone? In your post previous to this you hadn't preordered it yet lol. I ordered mine on Sept 17th and it still isn't in yet. Very annoying.

I preordered the day it went on sale at 6 AM from Apple. I should have preordered from ATT and I would have got it on the 21st probably.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Those that have the 5 now, how does it compare to the 4 or 4s

In my limited use with my fiancees there arent many improvements except her whining she doesnt have a youtube app. Well no **** google and apple hate each other now. Also its a huge pain in the @$$ to charge it somewhere other than home. Usually you can just say "who's got an iphone cord" and charge it up, or take one in the car (we have usb in the truck that allows charging) and can't do that without dragging around the one wire. And a new wire is $20, adapters even more. Not to mention my dilemma with OS X 10.5.8 being outdated, luckily a coworker used to be a Genius at the Apple store and got me a free copy of OS X 10.6.8

Overall it's a nice phone but honestly I dont see anything OMG earth shattering with it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 pm

You can download a YouTube app from the App Store which I Actually prefer to the old one
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Yes I know this. but a non tech savvy person such as my fiancee was furious that she could not watch youtube videos and did not know about the app.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:Those that have the 5 now, how does it compare to the 4 or 4s

In my limited use with my fiancees there arent many improvements except her whining she doesnt have a youtube app. Well no **** google and apple hate each other now. Also its a huge pain in the @$$ to charge it somewhere other than home. Usually you can just say "who's got an iphone cord" and charge it up, or take one in the car (we have usb in the truck that allows charging) and can't do that without dragging around the one wire. And a new wire is $20, adapters even more. Not to mention my dilemma with OS X 10.5.8 being outdated, luckily a coworker used to be a Genius at the Apple store and got me a free copy of OS X 10.6.8

Overall it's a nice phone but honestly I dont see anything OMG earth shattering with it.

Did you update OS X yourself? I've never done that and I'm nervous that I'm going to lose everything. And no, I don't have Time Capsule or an external HD.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm

mac5155 wrote:

Agreed on pretty much everything, even the fiance having it part. I know I was pissed when I updated my OS and it deleted my Youtube app. I mean all I had to do was get it back through the app store but how super annoying that company grudges affect customers like that.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I didn't try yet, just got the disc today. It seems pretty straightforward, what I'm worried is I have the HDD partitioned with bootcamp to run XP and I believe 10.6.8 got rid of boot camp so I might run in to issues with that. not a HUGE deal because she only had bootcamp to run a specific accounting program for a class her junior year. But still will probably end up being harder than it should be.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

Agreed on pretty much everything, even the fiance having it part. I know I was pissed when I updated my OS and it deleted my Youtube app. I mean all I had to do was get it back through the app store but how super annoying that company grudges affect customers like that.

Yup. and I just dont get the lack of outrage over the new connector. Its 110% a money grab. There's nothing wrong with the old 32-pin connector. There's also nothing wrong with a micro-USB which is more and more becoming the standard for cell phones.

Today, we have been texting all day. Her battery is about to die because she uses the phone heavily, and she can't charge it because we only have 1 wire that is compatible with it. Its more annoying than anything, but she's an Apple fanatic. I was, but I'm starting to see through their gimmicky BS when it comes to screwing their customers out of more coin.

EDIT I should add, the Panorama photo feature is pretty slick. Im not sure if that is already available on other platforms though. Also, it doesn't work out well when drunk :pop:
Last edited by mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm

of course its 110% money grab. good for them. they have consumers wrapped around their finger and can do this stuff and no one stops buying (ex: mac buying a new OS to go with a freaking phone......)
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:of course its 110% money grab. good for them. they have consumers wrapped around their finger and can do this stuff and no one stops buying (ex: mac buying a new OS to go with a freaking phone......)

Yeah like I said its more of an inconvenience than anything. And that's a little thing you don't even think to check. She knew going in to the purchase the new connector was going to be a pain. It's Apple's M.O. to disontinue support on an OS super quickly and churn out another one "for only $20". Luckily I got the OS upgrade for free so the only thing we're out extra was $20 just so she could have her contacts and phone profile loaded right away via iCloud (which I find out later you get 5 free GB.... which wasn't explicitly outlined. It was marketed as buy 10 get 5 free). it was easier to pay $20 than to hear her whine :D
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

Yup. and I just dont get the lack of outrage over the new connector. Its 110% a money grab. There's nothing wrong with the old 32-pin connector. There's also nothing wrong with a micro-USB which is more and more becoming the standard for cell phones.

Today, we have been texting all day. Her battery is about to die because she uses the phone heavily, and she can't charge it because we only have 1 wire that is compatible with it. Its more annoying than anything, but she's an Apple fanatic. I was, but I'm starting to see through their gimmicky BS when it comes to screwing their customers out of more coin.

EDIT I should add, the Panorama photo feature is pretty slick. Im not sure if that is already available on other platforms though. Also, it doesn't work out well when drunk :pop:

The charger thing is really one issue that is a huge F-you to the customer base. Very annoying, I don't think Steve Jobs would have wanted it that way nor do I think he would've let the Iphone 5 come out as is. (I didin't know Jobs and have nothing besides my perception that he was a quality nut to back that up) That commercial trying to make it sound like they made some amazing break through with the bigger screen is one of the most annoying things I've seen in a long time.

edit: I know since my update the 4S has the panorama feature.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Welp... looks like I'm waiting 2-4 weeks for mine. Ugh.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:23 pm

I got an S3 today. On sale at Bestbuy for $150. Like it a lot.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:57 pm

nocera wrote:Welp... looks like I'm waiting 2-4 weeks for mine. Ugh.

Did you order one from an ATT store? The sales reps said its gonna be a while before you'll be able to walk in and get an iphone 5.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Foxcomm workers are on strike to boot.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 pm

viva la ben wrote:
nocera wrote:Welp... looks like I'm waiting 2-4 weeks for mine. Ugh.

Did you order one from an ATT store? The sales reps said its gonna be a while before you'll be able to walk in and get an iphone 5.

Yup. I didn't even consider that it wouldn't be in stock. The sales rep literally laughed at me when I asked her if they had any.

Also, I'm surprised people are upset in this thread over the lightning cord. Apple has literally had the same connector for 10 years. For every single one of its mobile products. That's insane. Most companies change up their connectors with every other model. It's certainly outdated and showing it's age. I haven't had a chance yet to test the lightning connector, but hopefully it'll be much faster.

And the whole "If Steve was still there" argument is annoying. Who knows what Apple and the iPhone 5 would be like if Steve were still alive. I do know one thing, Steve was all about innovation. And sticking with the same old cord for 10+ years isn't really innovating.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR