LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2010 World

Postby Avyran on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 am

A Manchester United game, reffed by Howard Webb, with a controversial decision? I'll just wait here for a bit.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Avyran on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Diving today:
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 am

I bet Draftnik is just thrilled with Chelsea's success so far.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby jmh470 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:41 am

I don't have a problem with Suarez's dive. Anything that can still make me laugh after seeing it dozens of times is OK in my book.

The sincerity with which he tries to sell it is simply breathtaking.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puffymuffin on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:54 am

What about that stamp from Huth on Suarez?
**** thugs that Stoke team and their manager is terrible as well.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Anybody else watching the US v. Antigua game tonight? The US is really shorthanded due to injuries, but, obviously, they should still be expected to get 3 points.

I saw the Antigua roster, and it looks like their 3rd string keeper currently plays for my alma mater, D II Florida Tech. I never thought I'd see anyone from my school playing relatively late in WC qualifying. I remember I had a friend on the team when I was there from the Virgin Islands who said that he had an open invite to play for their national team. I always thought that would be awesome, even if you are likely to get spanked in the opening rounds of qualifying.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Puffymuffin wrote:What about that stamp from Huth on Suarez?
**** thugs that Stoke team and their manager is terrible as well.

Stoke City is one of the most unpleasant teams on the planet, both to watch and to play against. Huth really is a great fit there.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:30 pm

largegarlic wrote:Anybody else watching the US v. Antigua game tonight? The US is really shorthanded due to injuries, but, obviously, they should still be expected to get 3 points.

I saw the Antigua roster, and it looks like their 3rd string keeper currently plays for my alma mater, D II Florida Tech. I never thought I'd see anyone from my school playing relatively late in WC qualifying. I remember I had a friend on the team when I was there from the Virgin Islands who said that he had an open invite to play for their national team. I always thought that would be awesome, even if you are likely to get spanked in the opening rounds of qualifying.

Yeah, I streamed it. On the surface, looking at a 2-1 result against a minnow like that seems disturbing, and it's certainly doing nothing to quell those who want Klinnsmann out but I'll say this: I can't recall any away concacaf qualifier against anyone in similar conditions that we won easily. Away qualifiers for us, on good days, are tough; but playing on a waterlogged American Football sized pitch in 20mph wind and rain is a different category altogether IMO.

My biggest issue though was with how easily we conceded. I would have been happier if we won 1-0.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby davemess on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:25 am

Avyran wrote:Diving today:

Definetly a dive but i think Bale does it to get his feet off the ground for the tackle/kick he sees the goalie start to make.

Thats more an attempt to avoid injury than an attempt to gain an advantage.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 am

lol?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 pm

The Suarez one is fantastic.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Anybody else watching the US v. Antigua game tonight? The US is really shorthanded due to injuries, but, obviously, they should still be expected to get 3 points.

Yeah, I streamed it. On the surface, looking at a 2-1 result against a minnow like that seems disturbing, and it's certainly doing nothing to quell those who want Klinnsmann out but I'll say this: I can't recall any away concacaf qualifier against anyone in similar conditions that we won easily. Away qualifiers for us, on good days, are tough; but playing on a waterlogged American Football sized pitch in 20mph wind and rain is a different category altogether IMO.

My biggest issue though was with how easily we conceded. I would have been happier if we won 1-0.

Yeah, I'm not on the anti-Klinsmann bandwagon. The size and quality of the field and the weather made that a really difficult match (not to mention the unavailability of Donovan and Fabian Johnson).

I am, however, disturbed by the lack of urgency shown by the US until the last 15 minutes or so. Their WC lives were potentially on the line, and most of the US players were content to take 2, 3, 4 touches and just knock the ball square or backwards. I felt like they should have done more to force the issue: press A&B higher up the pitch, try shots from distance, play early crosses into the box if you can't get to the endline, etc. I'm not sure how much of that is on Klinsmann.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the errey i breathe on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 pm

US looked good tonight after a shaky start
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 pm

IMO, Michael Bradley has the potential to be one of the best all time US midfielders. He really has refined his game tremendously in the past year, especially as it relates to eliminating the killer give-away (see previous gold cup). He was the only US player capable of playing in A&T, and he was exceptional again tonight. I think he's our most important player for what he contributes on both sides of the ball. Can't say enough.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 pm

the errey i breathe wrote:US looked good tonight after a shaky start

That's my view, too. They created lots of chances and dominated possession. I can't believe Eddie Johnson looks this good. I pretty much wrote him off.

Howard seemed off his game tonight.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 am

I agree about Bradley. I find him to be extremely important to any Team USA success.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 am

Yes, Dempsey's dive should be up there with Bale's and Suarez'; but this picture is fantastic.

GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Rylan wrote:I agree about Bradley. I find him to be extremely important to any Team USA success.

I sort of love the Serie A, and have watched alot of Bradley last year and this. He has really turned into a great all around midfielder. He was always a hard worker and a capable passer, but he has really stepped it up. His vision is much better as is his passing and his late runs into the box have led to goals. He has been really good for Roma since he came back from his injury. So much so, that he even started over De Rossi last game.

I think Zeman's goal for his midfield at Roma is to start both Bradley and De Rossi to protect the defense and spray passes all over the field, and use everyone else as wingers and forwards. If he could learn from De Rossi, I really think he has the capability to become an awesome midfielder in Europe
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Bradley has become the player his father always thought he was since 2007. Too bad I can't watch him develop in Serie A because of their bimonthly match fixing scandals.

The US defense continues to make the 2012 Pens defense look like the 85 Bears. With ~2 years to go I can only hope an LB and CB magically appear to make them at least competent. Cameron is a good start.

EJ was in his element against CONCACAF minnows and he still missed a sitter. There's no doubt Altidore needs to mature, but there's also no doubt he's still America's best striker (not counting Dempsey).
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:17 pm

jmh470 wrote:Bradley has become the player his father always thought he was since 2007. Too bad I can't watch him develop in Serie A because of their bimonthly match fixing scandals.

The US defense continues to make the 2012 Pens defense look like the 85 Bears. With ~2 years to go I can only hope an LB and CB magically appear to make them at least competent. Cameron is a good start.

EJ was in his element against CONCACAF minnows and he still missed a sitter. There's no doubt Altidore needs to mature, but there's also no doubt he's still America's best striker (not counting Dempsey).

I totally agree about the defense. Cameron is going to be a very solid player soon, but he is also playing midfield for Stoke (not that switching to CB seems to be a problem for other defensive mids; see Mascherano and De Rossi). LB, yikes. Not only very suspect defensively, but none of the candidates seem to get forward like they should.

Regarding Jozy: he needs to be there. EJ is a good MLS player, no more, no less. Against tough competition, his play will be totally snuffed out. Altidore has shown ability to score for AZ (albeit no so much for the national team) and he has the capability to hold up play and hopefully find guys like dempsey and donovan moving with pace
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 pm

If we can accept that Altidore is a about 60 minutes or so of strong play before he falls off then I am all for having him on the team. He was my favorite player to start with, but he adds an element of strength and power that compliments Dempsey nicely. EJ and Gomez are good role players (in fact I do think Gomez is a solid striker in his own right) but Altidore can be a difference maker.

As for the defense, it seems that they are going to take time to gel and turn into a half decent unit. I always thought Boca played best on the outsides, looks lost inside, and Cameron looks like he is going to turn into a stud. Cherundolo is a solid back. But they definitely need to find someone to play CB by next year so that they can move Boca to the outside.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 pm

The US has Fabian Johnson to play left back; he just had the flu for these two games. I think he's looked really good for the most part when he's been there.

As others have mentioned, I think the real need is center back. Cameron looks good, but he's still learning the position. Bocanegra looks just about past it as a starter, and Goodson is, IMO, a decent back-up at best. People who watch MLS way more than I do keep saying that there are a bunch of CB prospects in MLS (e.g. Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Amobi Okugo, Austin Berry, etc.) who deserve a shot. It'll be interesting to see what in the January training camp. You have to hope Klinsmann calls in a bunch of these guys and at least one or two work their onto the regular squad.

My other worry is outside mid. Without Donovan (or attack-minded fullbacks), the US has little pace and offensive creativity coming from the flanks. I like Zusi, but he's not a traditional winger. Shea has potential, but still seems immature and inconsistent. Eddie Johnson was out there these past two games, but he's certainly not a natural in the position either.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 pm

I am afraid Shea just doesn't elevate his play enough to be an effective mid in the international game, hopefully I turn out to be wrong but I just don't see it. . Zusi is fine as long there are other players in the mid that create. I think Bradley could be one answer, but he is more an all-around solid player without any true flash. I had hopes for Edu but that seems to be a terrible thought. Good thing is that there is a year between now and the next stage to hopefully groom players.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Thats a good point about Fabian Johnson. He has looked really good from what I have seen from him. Needs a little polishing, but has potential.

Edit: I also think another player that could have an impact by next year is Terrence Boyd. He could possibly fit on the outside as a winger, but I think he is more suited to play higher up the pitch than what we are looking for
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR