Fleury's last chance?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 pm

columbia wrote:Can you coach concentration, because I'd like to see that.

To a certain extent, yes. Only way it'll work is if the player maintains it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Interesting question. I always wondered if you could teach hockey sense, and I think the answer is, to all these type of questions, "yes...to an extent" - Tyler Kennedy will never have Sidney Crosby's hockey sense, but if you spent untold hours going over things with him, evaluating film, controlled drills/scrimmages, etc. you could probably make a fair amount of head way...

Some players that I've had in the past - beginners or those that just flat out told me that they've never had a coach before - have received some film breakdown from me - either live or via e-mail - where I chop up a play and show them what's happening, why, what should have happened, what's not happening, etc.

It helps. It's not so much what can you teach and what can't you teach...but the player's willingness to learn it and utilize it. Some players don't want to learn. Some have no desire to better themselves on a tangible level. Most are weeded out before they hit the pros, so we don't see them...but some sneak through on talent...Pavel Brendl, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Phil Housley come to mind...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm taking a Sport Psychology class, and we've been going over issues like focus. As a coach, there's only so much you can do. The players have to be able/willing to execute. He (referring to Fleury) also has to maintain his focus in practice as well as in game. There's a pretty strong correlation between practice and how you will perform in game.

Perhaps Fleury needs someone who can make him focus in practice.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:39 pm

More so than any professional athlete I can recall, he appears to have ADD.
I'm not kidding.

Hung out to dry or not, a "franchise goalie" cannot stare off into space so consistently.

Hopefully he gets his head together 13-14.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby SirMario66 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:46 pm

So what if I hooked him up with adderall
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:14 am

Fleury hasn't made a save in like 5 and a half months now. Bum
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 am

MRandall25 wrote:

Sports Psychologists would tell you that athletes require this focus, and coaches must eliminate most of the thinking players have to do in-game.

I would probably argue that any goalie is one season away from having to find his next stop. These are usually guys that get out performed by the guy behind them, which Fleury has not been since he's been here. Not sure Vokoun is going to do it either, but this is the first time it could happen.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Froggy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:40 pm

it's amazing how the 2 best goalies in this franchise's history are continuously torn down by a percentage of the fan base
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Froggy wrote:it's amazing how the 2 best goalies in this franchise's history are continuously torn down by a percentage of the fan base

Thats a lie, I have never heard one person say something bad about Sebastian Caron.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 pm

In regards to the idea of coaching Fleury's concentration, Bylsma could certainly take a hard stance on how he practices. We've seen him play it up for the cameras, and his reputation is that's a regular thing... kind of goofing around in practice. Eliminate the goofing around and get him in the right mindset.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm

tfrizz wrote:In regards to the idea of coaching Fleury's concentration, Bylsma could certainly take a hard stance on how he practices. We've seen him play it up for the cameras, and his reputation is that's a regular thing... kind of goofing around in practice. Eliminate the goofing around and get him in the right mindset.

That should be the goalie coach's job as well.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Eliminate the goofing around and it is extremely possible Fleury becomes less focused. I mean lets be for real, last year Fleury was a damn stud until the playoffs (and shortly before but still.) So for the majority of the season Malkin and him carried a 6-8 seed into a 4 seed. But because of a bad 3 week stretch, a stretch in which arguably the Pens showed their true colors, he played poorly behind a team that was not defensively responsible. Fleury was in the zone for 23 straight games. That is one hell of a run for any goalie and yet he can't focus. Silly stuff really.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby dman66 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 pm

tfrizz wrote:In regards to the idea of coaching Fleury's concentration, Bylsma could certainly take a hard stance on how he practices. We've seen him play it up for the cameras, and his reputation is that's a regular thing... kind of goofing around in practice. Eliminate the goofing around and get him in the right mindset.

Where did he get the reputation that goofing around in practice is a regular thing? Anyone who makes that assumption based on the couple practices they see highlights of during a game has no idea what they are talking about. No one here knows how Fleury or any other Penguins handles practice. To say one way or another about any player just blows my mind.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Are we basing Fleury's practice habits off of the moustache boy shootout thing?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins