Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Titans

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Titans

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 am

9.5 penalties per game. That's not good. Tomlin coached Steelers have always had a discipline problem.

Maybe that's what they want to lead in...

Ike Taylor is a liability and a disaster.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:50 am

Is it ok question the defense now or is that still just reactionary yinzer talk?
I need the experts from week one to tell me how it is. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby no name on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:57 am

until Ike improves ans we have Troy back we will be lucky to get above .500.

Steelers are 7-9 when troy doesn't start.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 am

columbia wrote:Is it ok question the defense now or is that still just reactionary yinzer talk?
I need the experts from week one to tell me how it is. :pop:

The defense imo is the problem. Casey Hampton just isn't getting it done anymore and hasn't been for some time. Ziggy Hood 'ain't no Aaron.' The in-again-out-again duo of 92 and 56 is just bad. Timmons being misused to cover for the poor secondary is bad. Mr. Glass, I mean Troy, needs some spirit healers or something. Ike Taylor needs to be scratched. Every. Game. That's basically my beef with the D.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby steelhammer on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:11 am

Our whole starting d-line sucks. Hood is a straight up bust. Hampton has nothing left at all. Kiesel is on the decline. Kiesel would be getting more heat if he didn't have a cool beard and or his linemates weren't so terrible.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am

this is an 8-8 team. improvements need to be made and everyone can see where. it's just a matter of whether they can make the right moves in the offseason.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 am

What happened to Ike? I thought he was a top tier cornerback. I guess its hard to look good when the quarterback isn't being seriously rushed on every throw.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 am

I think this is a 5-11 team that has a QB that can almost by himself, pull us up to 9-7 or 8-8.

As long as Ben is healthy, we'll be competitive in most games. But without a running game or defense, it's very difficult to win in this league. And our defense is still good when everyone is healthy - which means they should be good in 1 or 2 games a season now.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:20 am

the stillers have issues, and they are many.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 am

I want to sticky this list:

Tavares Jackson
Kerry Collins
Hasselbeck
Gabbert
Kolb
Dalton
Palko
Dalton
McCoy
Alex Smtith
Kellen Clemens
Seneca Wallace

Starting Quarterbacks that superstar Ike Taylor and the amazing Steelers secondary faced last year. They killed it against a true murderer's row of gunslingers.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jprolley on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am

It was actually Curtis painter for most of the colts game...who also carved up that vaunted steeler defense in the 4th quarter and had to be rescued by another last minute big Ben scoring drive.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:03 am

I wouldn't be so upset over this loss if the penguins were playing tonight.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 am

jprolley wrote:It was actually Curtis painter for most of the colts game...who also carved up that vaunted steeler defense in the 4th quarter and had to be rescued by another last minute big Ben scoring drive.

even better.

we played against probably the sorriest collection of passing offenses in recorded history last year (i didn't even mention the 2 games against the great joe flacco). it's tiring to hear our 2011 stats as some sort of definitive proof that ike is a solid cornerback.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jprolley on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 am

Ike was seldom targeted last year because everyone else in that secondary was far worse.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 am

shmenguin wrote:I want to sticky this list:

Tavares Jackson
Kerry Collins
Hasselbeck
Gabbert
Kolb
Dalton
Palko
Dalton
McCoy
Alex Smtith
Kellen Clemens
Seneca Wallace
Flacco

Starting Quarterbacks that superstar Ike Taylor and the amazing Steelers secondary faced last year. They killed it against a true murderer's row of gunslingers.

Fixed
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:18 am

eh...teams win superbowls and get fat and happy. tomlin doesn't help this attitude, but it was kind of inevitable.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:32 am

Hmmmmm.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 am

I would almost say this team could get by on pure offense, but we don't even give our QB the ability to will us to victory. I know the O-Line didn't give up many sacks (or any) last night, but the tackles' inability to block anyone off the edge forced Haley to run all of the draws and bubble screens.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 am

Crap, this secondary gets to still face Flacco twice. This team can easily go 5-11 assuming they can even split against the Browns and Bengals and beat the Chiefs. I don't see any wins against any team that has a QB who isn't complete garbage at simply throwing a ball downfield.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am

And what the hell is up with the schedule? Early bye week, then coming right off we get the Thursday game? That will result in injuries playing two games inside 5 days after not playing for 2 weeks.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 am

DelPen wrote:Crap, this secondary gets to still face Flacco twice. This team can easily go 5-11 assuming they can even split against the Browns and Bengals and beat the Chiefs. I don't see any wins against any team that has a QB who isn't complete garbage at simply throwing a ball downfield.

This is extreme. This team could also go 9-7. They play really well at home. They beat a solid team in the Eagles.

The defense has always been predicated on (1) stopping the run, and (2) getting at least one big play (sack/turnover/run for loss) a drive. At that point, we could rush from 3rd and long and they wouldn't have time to beat the secondary. We just aren't getting the big play or routine pass pressure.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13 am

Eh...the Eagles are far from solid this year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah, the Eagles are nowhere near a solid team. They are the worst 3-2 team in the league quite possibly
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24 am

The Steelers are not good on either side of the line, or on Special Teams. That makes you a bad team every time, no matter how good your QB, TE, Receivers or Linebackers are.

On D, there is not single, consistently disruptive force anymore with the recent injuries to Harrison, Woodley or Polamalu either keeping them out of the lineup or limiting them when they play. Our D was always having everyone else just play OK and let them be the deciding factors. That ain't happening, and now we see how average everyone else is - including the overall scheme.

On offense, I just don't know. How many years can you go without ever being able to keep a healthy line, however average it may be? Our O-Line can't stay healthy.

Oh, and one more thing - our receivers are soft. I cannot stand watching Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown drop passes that hit them in the hands. ES makes almost every catch - but these guys are hurting us too. Every catch Wallace makes is a bobble at first.

Troy looks and has looked fat for the last few years. Perhaps he should rethink his training plan now that he is older. It seems that inner calm doesn't prevent puffy face and pulled muscles. Perhaps the weight room and some running?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fast B on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 pm

The Snapshot wrote:The Steelers are not good on either side of the line, or on Special Teams. That makes you a bad team every time, no matter how good your QB, TE, Receivers or Linebackers are.

On D, there is not single, consistently disruptive force anymore with the recent injuries to Harrison, Woodley or Polamalu either keeping them out of the lineup or limiting them when they play. Our D was always having everyone else just play OK and let them be the deciding factors. That ain't happening, and now we see how average everyone else is - including the overall scheme.

On offense, I just don't know. How many years can you go without ever being able to keep a healthy line, however average it may be? Our O-Line can't stay healthy.

Oh, and one more thing - our receivers are soft. I cannot stand watching Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown drop passes that hit them in the hands. ES makes almost every catch - but these guys are hurting us too. Every catch Wallace makes is a bobble at first.

Troy looks and has looked fat for the last few years. Perhaps he should rethink his training plan now that he is older. It seems that inner calm doesn't prevent puffy face and pulled muscles. Perhaps the weight room and some running?

My feeling about this team is that they're very average without the defense playing at a high level. Not horrible, but not good either. I think the offense is capable of being great, but as you mentioned some of the WRs have mental issues, and the offensive line is a tire fire (again). Thank goodness for Heath.

At least the special teams aren't dragging the team down anymore? And it feels weird to say that after a game in which they had a punt blocked.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR