Engelland signs in Norway-plays for free

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Engelland signs in Norway-plays for free

Postby offsides on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.pghsports.net/2012/10/12/der ... in-norway/

Deryk Engelland has signed a contract with Rosenborg IHK of the GET-ligaen hockey league in Norway.
The team’s official site says Engelland will play without pay and will only get their insurance costs covered in addition to the direct costs of travel and accommodation during the contract period.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Engelland signs in Norway-plays for free

Postby mikey287 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Sky's the limit!

For those wondering, I (and maybe this is just me) have Norway's league outside of the top-12 in the world. Probably 15ish, but there's a cluster after about 10 or 11 or so that are very close...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks Mikey, I never even heard of that league, let alone how good it is.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:20 pm

There's a Norwegian poster here somewhere (Ossa?) that peeks in from time to time, maybe he/she can comment more. But it appears to be an improving league, Norwegian hockey in general seems to be on the rise...hopefully they can compete with other "cinderella" types like Latvia and Denmark, as I believe it's fair to assess that Switzerland has graduated past that point.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:57 pm

As long as he stays in shape for when the season is officially canceled.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 am

Engelland must have watched Lilyhammer on Netflix.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Noise wrote:Engelland must have watched Lilyhammer on Netflix.

DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby k0la on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:30 pm

If you were an ahl regular you would be the best player on any team in Norway. Most foreigners in Norway have a limited amount of ahl games.

Vålrenga at the top right now have a pair of twin canadiens forwards the Donati brothers as their star players. Think they've mostly played OHL before coming to Norway
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jwnorsk on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Pa native living now in Norway now. My sons both play in the Lørenskog youth teams and are trained by players from the Elite League, I have to say I am impressed with the level of play throughout the league. I have become friends with the coach for Lørenskog he is from Boston and in 2 years has turned the team around. I asked earlier this week if we would be getting any players from the NHL, he said it was not likely as we are in second place and the team is set.
jwnorsk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:30 pm

k0la wrote:If you were an ahl regular you would be the best player on any team in Norway. Most foreigners in Norway have a limited amount of ahl games.

Vålrenga at the top right now have a pair of twin canadiens forwards the Donati brothers as their star players. Think they've mostly played OHL before coming to Norway

First sentence: that's how I understood it to be as well. Second: Donati's played juniors over here and then played in the ECHL (NHL -> AHL -> ECHL) and were good for that league...I personally think the ECHL is probably better than the Norwegian league overall, so I'd expect the Donati brothers to be among the league's best players over there. Jack Skille should stick out big time there if he tries, I feel.

@jwnorsk: Very interesting! What a move that must have been! Feel free to post/PM any interesting discussion points regarding Norwegian hockey and how it works (youth or pro level), I'm always interested in firsthand accounts of hockey countries that I'm not quite as familiar with...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby astro4k on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm not all that concerned with the level of competition, I like the idea of him playing in a skating league. Hopefully his skating and passing improves.
astro4k
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwnorsk on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 am

To give you some idea of the level of competition our best player (Lørenskog) is James Sixsmith a native of Va. who has played in the ECHL and AHL with limited results stats here http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=77685 However his first season here he was fantastic top player and from what I have seen I think he is one of the fastest players on the team. Norwegian stats here http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/pla ... sonid=9491

It is going to be interesting to see how the to NHL players do, both playing for Rosenborg which after 9 games is one point out of last place. First game is on Thursday I will try and post the stats after the game.

I can continue to post in this thread or if there is interest can start a Norwegian hockey thread in non-pens.
jwnorsk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 am

Funny, I just heard on the radio that he is scheduled to sign autographs at an 84 Lumber next weekend...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby mikey287 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 am

jwnorsk wrote:To give you some idea of the level of competition our best player (Lørenskog) is James Sixsmith a native of Va. who has played in the ECHL and AHL with limited results stats here http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=77685 However his first season here he was fantastic top player and from what I have seen I think he is one of the fastest players on the team. Norwegian stats here http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/pla ... sonid=9491

It is going to be interesting to see how the to NHL players do, both playing for Rosenborg which after 9 games is one point out of last place. First game is on Thursday I will try and post the stats after the game.

I can continue to post in this thread or if there is interest can start a Norwegian hockey thread in non-pens.

Re: Sixsmith, that's about what I'd expect. Over his head at the AHL and DEL level, fitting nicely at Norwegian level...the leagues are worlds apart.

I doubt you'll find much of an audience outside of me (and possibly k0la), and I'm more interested of the inner-workings of the league and how the coaching works and the like more than the performance of players that I'll never see again (sans Skille and Engelland, unfortunately) other than on national team duty at the World Championships. But by all means, keep the thread alive with anything you have whenever you feel it necessary. You'll have at least one audience member that's interested... :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwnorsk on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 am

Engelland update from Norway- 6 games 6 points
Link to his stats: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/pla ... sonid=9491
jwnorsk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 am

Breakout season for Engo!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:55 am

If this keeps up, DE will become the smooth, puck moving D that we all want to see in Martin. Plus he can knock your head off!

Anyway, glad someone is enjoying hockey these days.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 am

Apparently he's playing a ton of minutes as well. Like, more than a Top D usually plays in the NHL.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 am

I'm guessing someone of his size isn't really getting physically worn down during the games over there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwnorsk on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Engelland comes to Lørenskog on Thursday so I hope to see him play he will be getting a little competition however since Mike Weber of the Sabers has signed with Lorenskog. I talked to the coach tonight he is to arrive tomorrow and should be in the game Thursday will be fun to see a little NHL and Pens here in Norway.
jwnorsk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Awesome, please keep us posted!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:41 pm

8 points in 9 games. -5. He must be having fun there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins