Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Froggy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:31 pm

well, if nintendo made a state of the art console, how many people would leave sony or microsoft? those brands already have built up loyalty for the hard core gamers. it's probably the right idea for nintendo to remain more of an innovative niche system.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 am

Froggy wrote:well, if nintendo made a state of the art console, how many people would leave sony or microsoft? those brands already have built up loyalty for the hard core gamers. it's probably the right idea for nintendo to remain more of an innovative niche system.

True. And there are people like me that don't really care for the "hard core" gaming experience and enjoy the nostalgic aspect of the Marios and Zeldas, etc, gaming more in relation to what it was back in the 80s/early 90s.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Spangler wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Did you guys play the Resident Evil 6 demo? OMG. I bought RE5 Gold Edition a long time ago, but still haven't had the time to play it, so I don't remember if you can move and shoot at the same time. But in this RE6, you can move and shoot and it feels like a regular shooter. Graphics are so amazing. I played it last night, in the dark, and I was blown away. Characters look so huge, they take up half the screen. You get samples from 3 separate campaigns (different parts of the word/different characters) in the demo. Let me know what you think when youy try it...

I bought RE6 despite the shaky reviews. I'm currently in the middle of Chris's campaign. Can't form a solid opinion of the game yet. I like the idea of putting him in a strike team, but at the same time there's too many characters, erasing any kind of tension. Ammo is less plentiful, but not like the early RE games.

One really cool aspect of the multiplayer system, is the ability to intersect with other player's campaigns. At one point in the game I joined up with someone playing Jake and Sherry. We didn't interfere too much within our games, but their presence was known.

So far, the game feels too 'actiony' to my liking. The biggest problem with it is, when the game tries to throw in a scary section (one in Chris's campaign was really cool), there is no real reason to be scared. So what if this is supposed to be a threat, I just killed literally 1000 enemies beforehand. It desensitizes you to the threat. In old RE games, any enemy you came across was a cause of concern, and if a horde of zombies suddenly appeared, you weren't prepared at all.

My last concern is the linear progression in RE6. The thing I missed the most in RE was the exploration like the previous REs up to Code Veronica. I love games that let you explore like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. There's something satisfying about discovering what's behind this door that's been closed for half the game.

Again, I'm only about a quarter of the way through, so I don't know what's in store. Maybe some things will change.

I actually feel that the game needed to become more actiony. It had to go this way. It's 2012, so they couldn't have justified the same gameplay as in the older titles.

I only played RE4, btw. I am not going to play the earlier ones because they just look too old for today's standard (judging from videos). I have RE5 that I will play maybe after I finish Borderlands, which is much better and much more addictive than I thought. I also never found RE4 to be scary. Not in the least. I would read reviews at the time that said it's a scary game, but it wasn't - not to me. It was mostly aggravating with the inability to walk and shoot, but I stuck with it because the story got me. I would gladly trade some of that to have more fun in the game and, if it means the game becomes a little more, shallow, so to speak, then so be it.

The linear aspect can be a let down... I will agree on that. One of the things I like about Borderlands is that it's an open world and you get a bunch of quests you can take or not and do whatever the hell you want in the game. That's fun. But I also like the straight shooters and if RE6 has gone that way then, even though I am sure it must disappoint many fans, I don't particulatly have a problem.

Let me know how you liked it when you finish.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Alex, you really like the new XCOM game? I played the demo yesterday. It was the worst game I think I ever played in my life from the cheesy dialogs (not to mention zero emotion or much mention even to when the 3 squad membered got killed) to gameplay. The game has actual turns. Turns. In 2012. No way. Maybe it's a title from strategy fans only.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Rylan wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Dishonored is mine

I want to get this. Give an impressions review please when you can.

Yes, please.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:45 pm

I picked up Dishonored today.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24 pm

skullman80 wrote:I picked up Dishonored today.

And???????
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Alex, you really like the new XCOM game? I played the demo yesterday. It was the worst game I think I ever played in my life from the cheesy dialogs (not to mention zero emotion or much mention even to when the 3 squad membered got killed) to gameplay. The game has actual turns. Turns. In 2012. No way. Maybe it's a title from strategy fans only.

I really liked the original XCOM. Spent many hours killing them aliens on a very old PC.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 am

Dishonored = AMAZING
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 am

Picked up Uncharted 3 last night for $12...
Can't wait.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:44 am

offsides wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I picked up Dishonored today.

And???????

I haven't even opened it yet lol
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:49 am

malkinshair wrote:Picked up Uncharted 3 last night for $12...
Can't wait.

That's another game I still haven't played. Dammit. Even when I have time, I don't have time. Always finding other things to do. Grrr.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:02 am

skullman. log off and go play your game, dammit.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:02 am

Sarcastic wrote:skullman. log off and go play your game, dammit.

I honestly probably won't even get to it this weekend. Too much stuff going on.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:04 am

Oh. I was going to play my game for a while now, but I'm told we're going shopping. :face:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:08 am

Can't wait.

I think it was the best one, so far, which is saying a lot. Amazing game series.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:10 am

Sarcastic wrote:Oh. I was going to play my game for a while now, but I'm told we're going shopping. :face:

Srsly.................Shopping?? For moar video games I hope.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Uncharted 1 was my favorite overall. 2 had the best bad guy. 3 was the best "movie" type game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 pm

i know it's kind of an older game, but has anyone played Mirror's Edge? i got a few el cheapo used games today, and it looked fairly interesting. i am finding it to be pretty difficult, though
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Froggy wrote:i know it's kind of an older game, but has anyone played Mirror's Edge? i got a few el cheapo used games today, and it looked fairly interesting. i am finding it to be pretty difficult, though

I played a few minutes of it one night a while back. Difficult, but I didn't really give it much time.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:42 pm

bhaw wrote:
Froggy wrote:i know it's kind of an older game, but has anyone played Mirror's Edge? i got a few el cheapo used games today, and it looked fairly interesting. i am finding it to be pretty difficult, though

I played a few minutes of it one night a while back. Difficult, but I didn't really give it much time.

i think i like it, but yeah... i find myself loudly screaming at my television a whole lot whenever i fall off a building
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:17 pm

offsides wrote:
Can't wait.

I think it was the best one, so far, which is saying a lot. Amazing game series.

Played the first 3 chapters before I had to put it down. Awesome so far. I purposely didn't read anything about this one before playing, and...

Spoiler:
the flashback playing as 'young Nate' was awesome!
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Froggy wrote:
bhaw wrote:

i think i like it, but yeah... i find myself loudly screaming at my television a whole lot whenever i fall off a building

I'm the person in a video game that loves to run into a firefight guns blazing with no thought of safety, stealth, or, according to Rylan, strategy (lies, I always know what I'm doing). So playing a game where your prime objective is to avoid the shooters and hide from them was tough on me. This is also why I quit after level 3 of Splinter Cell.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm

bhaw has gotten me killed in BF3 because I would follow the leader only to get destroyed by something lol.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 pm

About to go get my butt kicked in BF3. Several beers in and only played 2 hours in the last 2 months.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR