Looking for a basic tablet, need input

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Looking for a basic tablet, need input

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:43 am

OK, kenny the kangaroo wants to get updated into the 21st tecnologies, at least to an extent. ITT, there are going to be some really stupid questions, and quite frankly kenny the kangaroo does not mind.

1.) Are there any tablets that have a halfway decent spreadsheet program? Is it true that the ipad has no compatability with excel?

2.) how easy is it to find a 10 key number pad for a tablet?

3.) When is this new fancy microsoff tablet coming out?

4.) If you own a tablet, how easy do you find it to read pdfs on the table?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Looking for a basic tablet, need input

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:52 am

Surface is coming out October 26th and rumored to be $200 - that might not include some kind of monthly license for software like Office 365.

If a given tablet can connect via bluetooth to a keyboard I assume any bluetooth number pad will work. Also I would assume that if a tablet has USB ports and can connect to standard peripherals (like the Toshiba Thrive) a usb based one would work too
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 am

10 key... such an accountant lol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:55 am

I just got the Google Nexus 7 last week. I can read PDFs perfectly. I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:02 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Surface is coming out October 26th and rumored to be $200 - that might not include some kind of monthly license for software like Office 365.

If a given tablet can connect via bluetooth to a keyboard I assume any bluetooth number pad will work. Also I would assume that if a tablet has USB ports and can connect to standard peripherals (like the Toshiba Thrive) a usb based one would work too

For reference, kenny the kangaroo is totally out of the loop when it comes to tablet/smartphone technology. its kind of embarassing.

so hypothetically, you can just go to pretty much any best buy (or new egg or amazon or whatever) and buy a 10 key pad that will work with most tablets (as long as they usb or bluetooh setup)? if so, great.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gabe on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

I have a Kindle Fire. Overall, it's probably my favorite possession. There are some limitations that hopefully they fix with version 2, but otherwise, its a great buy. There is no way to use a ten-key pad with it though.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm

any of you clownshoes use spreadsheets on your tablet?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:45 pm

I use Quickoffice on my Droid and it works well for viewing. I've never really edited with it though.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am

meow wrote:I just got the Google Nexus 7 last week. I can read PDFs perfectly. I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet.

This thing looks pretty hard to beat, is the google play app the same one found on android phones? Any problems with those apps?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:19 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:any of you clownshoes use spreadsheets on your tablet?

Google Docs has issues with the iPad. I've used it (and the Google search app, which has a lot of the Google products bundled into it like Docs, Reader, G+ etc.) to take meeting minutes and it stops responding and crashes.

However, it did work to use the browser based Google Docs product. YMMV, however. I wasn't using spreadsheets.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Sams club has the Nexus on sale this week for $246. dunno if thats a good deal or not. It also comes with Transformers Dark of the Moon preloaded and a $25 Play Store giftcard.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Amazon just released their new Kindle Fire HD tablets today...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57507656-93/amazon-takes-aim-at-apples-ipad-with-kindle-fire-hd/

That starts with a new, $199 7-inch model with an HD screen that doubles the built-in storage of the previous entry-level Kindle Fire to 16GB. Amazon has also doubled down on that product line with a larger, 8.9-inch model that has a 1920-by-1200 resolution, 16GB of built-in storage, costs $299 and ships Nov. 20. Topping out the line is a new, 32GB model with 4G LTE wireless connectivity for $499, which Bezos compared directly to Apple's $729 third-generation iPad with similar specs.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I got the kindle fire only for the reason that I wanted a cheap tablet to read non copyrighted classic literature for free. I'll play around with other stuff, but i'd never suggest as a comparable to other tablets. I still intend on getting an ipad soon.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puffymuffin on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:49 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Surface is coming out October 26th and rumored to be $200 - that might not include some kind of monthly license for software like Office 365.

Not sure about the prices you mentioned, I thought the cheaper version would be around 500, which includes Office home/basic and the advanced version will be around 900, with Office pro (I think). It has an usb port so you can connect devices to it.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:56 am

any insight on Acer tablets?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 am

My friend got the newest Acer that just came out like 3-4 weeks ago and he loves it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 am

Puffymuffin wrote:

Not sure about the prices you mentioned, I thought the cheaper version would be around 500, which includes Office home/basic and the advanced version will be around 900, with Office pro (I think). It has an usb port so you can connect devices to it.

Engadget reported it first http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/micr ... rface-199/
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 am

I ordered a Kindle Fire yesterday. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the order because the more I think about it, the less I know what the hell I want with it. I'll probably download more free literature than I could possibly read in my lifetime and that's about it. Consumerism ftl.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 am

Gaucho wrote:I ordered a Kindle Fire yesterday. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the order because the more I think about it, the less I know what the hell I want with it. I'll probably download more free literature than I could possibly read in my lifetime and that's about it. Consumerism ftl.

I got the Kindle for two reasons. First for the free literature, which you seem to be souring on that purpose. But I also quit running because of bad feet, so I use the eliptical instead, and reading the kindle on the cardio machines is so much more convenient than trying to read a magazine or anything else....works perfect for that....that's basically the only time I use it cause the screen kind of gives me a headache, so I'm typically two books at the same time.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:42 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I ordered a Kindle Fire yesterday. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the order because the more I think about it, the less I know what the hell I want with it. I'll probably download more free literature than I could possibly read in my lifetime and that's about it. Consumerism ftl.

I got the Kindle for two reasons. First for the free literature, which you seem to be souring on that purpose. But I also quit running because of bad feet, so I use the eliptical instead, and reading the kindle on the cardio machines is so much more convenient than trying to read a magazine or anything else....works perfect for that....that's basically the only time I use it cause the screen kind of gives me a headache, so I'm typically two books at the same time.

Well, I decided not to cancel the order and just give it a try. I figure maybe it's a good thing I don't have excessive expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be my favorite device after all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am

My take on ebook readers:

I'm already reluctant to pay for digital-only music and I would be even more so with books....Just can't see ever buying one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 am

I wouldn't mind at all to have some sort of digital all-media subscription with unlimited access to every film, song, book etc. with no need to store it. I already got rid of all my CDs some time ago and do not miss them at all. That said, I love physical books and comics and will continue to buy them.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

For those with Kindle Fires, do you have any magazine subscriptions? If so, how well does that work? A lot of the image-heavy magazines like, say, Road & Track are only available on the Fire. Do you just get an image of the magazine page that you can zoom around? Are the text and photos separated somehow? I do have a fair number of magazine subscriptions, and if the reading experience is good enough I might get a Fire and transfer them over.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:17 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Puffymuffin wrote:

Engadget reported it first http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/micr ... rface-199/

And they were way wrong http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/micr ... he-scenes/

Microsoft Surface for Windows RT pricing now official: tablet starts at $499, keyboard not included
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Loaf31 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am

Is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 a decent tablet? I'm looking for a decent tablet around $200
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to NHR