Blu Ray Player Recommendations

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Blu Ray Player Recommendations

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm

In the market for a high level player at a mid level price. 100.00 at the most. Looking for a short load time and wifi for Netflix and Pandora. Ive researched the heck out of them and they all have good and bad points. Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on ones they are using.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Blu Ray Player Recommendations

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Last black Friday I found a PS3 for $100.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Last black Friday I found a PS3 for $100.

+1, what other bluray player plays videogames?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 pm

viva la ben wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Last black Friday I found a PS3 for $100.

+1, what other bluray player plays videogames?

Yup. Basically I bought a blu ray player for $100 and, oh yeah, it plays video games too.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

I have been told that a PS3 is the best blu ray player numerous times. But I'm not going that route LOL.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:16 am

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am

We bought my fiancee's mom a Dynex from Best Buy for like $60. Does everything you want. Loads pretty fast (I didnt realize there were different load times?). It cost around $50-60 last year.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 am

PS3 is the only way to do it really. I bought a highly rated Panasonic bluray player and it is absolutely terrible for netflix and the streaming stuff. They put like 8086 processors from 1978 in there and it is way too slow to navigate anything. Just spend extra and get a PS3 and remote.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:I have been told that a PS3 is the best blu ray player numerous times. But I'm not going that route LOL.

Not true any more. I don't believe the HDMI port on it supports 3D and HD audio at the same time.

Typically as you pay more money what you're getting is a faster load time and wifi being built into it. The early bluray players took forever from the time you put the disc in until you actually saw something on the screen. And that's not even including the awful commercials.

The other determining factor for me would be the ability to play archived media. If I didn't use an HTPC I would definitely buy a Dune D1 or a Popcorn Hour C300. That way you can save your movies to a server or NAS and never need to get the discs out.

Many players now can play media over a network or via USB. You need to know what format your movies are before you can pick a player that plays them. My boss has a Samsung C5xxx series (2011 model - cant remember which one) and I showed him how to remux all of his dvds into single .mpg files and he put them on a 2TB hard drive. Now he never has to worry about his kids damaging or losing discs.

The Sony NSZ GP9 should be out in a few weeks - it might even be for sale in Europe already. That would be a great one for streaming.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I have been told that a PS3 is the best blu ray player numerous times. But I'm not going that route LOL.

The moment you put in Uncharted 2, you'll smack your forehead and tell yourself should have done it sooner. :P
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:

Not true any more. I don't believe the HDMI port on it supports 3D and HD audio at the same time.

That reminds me. I wanted to make a 3D TV poll. There was an article I had somewhere...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Stupid question...when it says built in wifi, does that mean that I don't need wifi at myself place and it will still update and stream stuff? Like I have no internets at my place. Will this act as its on wifi so I can stream and update said player?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:27 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
Stupid question...when it says built in wifi, does that mean that I don't need wifi at myself place and it will still update and stream stuff? Like I have no internets at my place. Will this act as its on wifi so I can stream and update said player?

It needs to be connected to a router, which in turn is connected to the internet.

Players with Wifi Direct can talk directly to other Wifi Direct compliant items. For instance, a certified cell phone could send pictures or video directly to the bluray player, without both being connected to the same router.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:27 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:

no sir, you would need the internet separately at your hours to stream. You could do it wifi or connect a cat5 cable (which may help with HD quality while streaming). you could always manually update firmware onto a cd and do it that way as well.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm

The point of the wifi is to stream netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu. I wouldn't worry about firmware upgrades. If you don't care about streaming video, then don't worry about. But personally, 99% of my bluray usage is streaming something and 1% is actually watching a bluray (which is why I recommend the PS3 since it has enough power to handle this with a very responsive and clean interface, unlike the PoS Panasonic BluRay player that I have)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I wouldn't worry about firmware upgrades.

I would. Every new release seems to require an update to the encryption codes to allow it to play. Or so it does with my Arcsoft player.

It wouldn't surprise me if software players were forced to do that. The original CCS encryption keys for DVD were leaked online after someone hacked PC DVD software. Only giving out new codes when needed would cut down on that.

You have a point about Panasonic's interface. The 2012 models were better, but the 2010 and 2011 ones were junk.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:I wouldn't worry about firmware upgrades.

I would. Every new release seems to require an update to the encryption codes to allow it to play. Or so it does with my Arcsoft player.

It wouldn't surprise me if software players were forced to do that. The original CCS encryption keys for DVD were leaked online after someone hacked PC DVD software. Only giving out new codes when needed would cut down on that.

what I like about Panasonic, besides the great video quality is that they actually put out firmware updates on older models. I have a BD player 4 years old that they just recently put one out for. Obviously the PS3 does as well and at $100, thats a great deal, but if you are looking for something for streaming purposely and are not getting serious about it, maybe look at a Roku? I don't think I would buy a BD player for streaming if that's the focus unless it's a PS3, Roku is $60-80 and works great
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR