New iPhone coming..

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New iPhone coming..

Postby mac5155 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Yeah, they streamline their connectors to work with everything. ie micro usb
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:00 pm

is there a 64gb iphone5?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Yes. $399.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I obtained my iPhone 5 on Friday. It is pretty nice. I'm getting great battery life, however my mom is getting terrible battery life on hers. Weird.

But compared to the iPhone 4, the camera is super super fast haha. Almost DSLR fast.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh, if you are waiting 2-4 weeks, I'd cancel that and do the 10pm trick. Took me 5 days and I found one in stock.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Hey APK, are you in an area with solid LTE? My fiancee is getting pretty bad life too. Not terrible, but not great. We are in a 4G only area, no 4G LTE, but her work place is.. so she (and myself on my droid) are constantly bouncing between 4G and LTE. maybe that's why?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm

At homecoming this weekend I was actually shocked by how many people had iphones - I felt like literally everyone I was with had one.

To me that's a great reason NOT to buy one. I wouldn't want the same shoes or jacket or car that everyone else has.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Well today is the first day I have had it at work and I'm only getting 4g at work, but the battery has been solid all day.

Saturday I drove out to Idlewild with my parents. My mom's phone is Verizon, mine is AT&T. I had mine on full blast since I was navigating with the GPS. My mom was just lightly texting with hers. At the end of the day (after navigating home again, so about 3 hours of solid GPS time), I was at 60% and my Mom was totally drained and she never even used the GPS. I personally think that there is a batch of bad batteries floating around. But maybe the difference is in the data networks, but that sounds like a major problem if that is the case. But maybe it will be fixed with a firmware update.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:44 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:At homecoming this weekend I was actually shocked by how many people had iphones - I felt like literally everyone I was with had one.

To me that's a great reason NOT to buy one. I wouldn't want the same shoes or jacket or car that everyone else has.

Actually most people do not have them, droid is still the bigger selling phone. However most people with money have them, which is why all the apps are made for iPhone and not Droid lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Well today is the first day I have had it at work and I'm only getting 4g at work, but the battery has been solid all day.

Saturday I drove out to Idlewild with my parents. My mom's phone is Verizon, mine is AT&T. I had mine on full blast since I was navigating with the GPS. My mom was just lightly texting with hers. At the end of the day (after navigating home again, so about 3 hours of solid GPS time), I was at 60% and my Mom was totally drained and she never even used the GPS. I personally think that there is a batch of bad batteries floating around. But maybe the difference is in the data networks, but that sounds like a major problem if that is the case. But maybe it will be fixed with a firmware update.

Upon powering up the phone out of the box, if you don't let the battery completely drain before you charge it, you can screw it up.

Also, if you're both on LTE, then I could see that.. but Verizon LTE may have broader coverage than ATT. I know with ATT I get coverage near Greensburg and my fiancee is in Latrobe, so it may be in Ligonier.. but not sure.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:53 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Actually most people do not have them, droid is still the bigger selling phone. However most people with money have them, which is why all the apps are made for iPhone and not Droid lol.

There are plenty of cheaper Android phones for sure, but mostly the nicer ones that would compete with the iphone are the same price as it. And for a given model, I believe iphones have outsold every other single phone model.

What popular app is ios only?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

There are plenty of cheaper Android phones for sure, but mostly the nicer ones that would compete with the iphone are the same price as it. And for a given model, I believe iphones have outsold every other single phone model.

What popular app is ios only?

All of the non-big studio games. Utility apps, not sure, I don't use many outside of the major ones.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:12 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:At homecoming this weekend I was actually shocked by how many people had iphones - I felt like literally everyone I was with had one.

If you're happy with the quality and comfortable with it, why does it matter who else has it?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

MWB wrote:
If you're happy with the quality and comfortable with it, why does it matter who else has it?

I like being unique :D

I guess I've always been that way about stuff. My guitars are all obscure models (Fender Esquire GT and Gibson SG GT). Same with my cars.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:06 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote: Gibson SG GT.

a yummy axe you got there, friend. makes me nostalgic for my old firebird vii i sold when i went to college.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm

what is the 10pm deal?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is the 10pm deal?

At 10pm, the apple stores update their inventories online, and you can reserve one for next day in-store pickup.

So basically go online at 9:55, put the iPhone in your cart and enter in all of your info. Then at around 9:58 start checking the stores for availability via your zip code. If it is not available, close the store lookup window and keep trying until around 10:05. If you don't get one by 10:05 you try the next day.

I tried this for about 5 days until South Hills apple store had one. Last Thursday night is when I snagged it, every store in Pittsburgh had the model I was looking for (64 GB white). I was seeing lots of stores though that had them during the week, especially in Ohio and DC. For some reason my pittsburgh zip code brings up the DC stores as well.

So in other words, I got my iPhone before my wife who just got hers yesterday, and she ordered it like 2 days after the start of pre-orders.

Also, you don't actually reserve the phone until you complete the checkout, so have your CC handy. Even if you just use the CC on file, they make you re-enter in your 3 digit code thing.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Going to gripe about iOS 6 on iphone 4 and 4s. Battery sucks. Sucks bad. Tried everything I saw online. The only thing that works is close the open apps, which really isn't closing them, reboot then don't touch it. Ever. Facebook seems to be the biggest offender now. Interesting thing was I had iOS6 beta running for months and the battery life was great.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm

DelPen wrote:Going to gripe about iOS 6 on iphone 4 and 4s. Battery sucks. Sucks bad. Tried everything I saw online. The only thing that works is close the open apps, which really isn't closing them, reboot then don't touch it. Ever. Facebook seems to be the biggest offender now. Interesting thing was I had iOS6 beta running for months and the battery life was great.

Hmm. Interesting. I have my 4 for a couple more weeks and my battery life is fine. I'm a fairly heavy user as well. Not sure what would be the issue.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Yeah battery life was fine with my 4 as well on iOS 6. I definitely tried to limit the push notifications though. Seems like every dumb app wants to do this for no reason.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:25 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah battery life was fine with my 4 as well on iOS 6. I definitely tried to limit the push notifications though. Seems like every dumb app wants to do this for no reason.

Yup.

Here's my set up now. Under Privacy > System Services, turn off Location-Based iAds and Setting Time Zone (carrier does it automatically anyway). Also, turn off location services for apps that you don't need it for. Turn off Diagnostics & Usage in About. It's creepy anyway. You can also turn down the brightness. Turn off the background apps. If you're not in a place where you'll be using WiFi, turn it off. Otherwise, the phone will constantly search for it.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Find my iphone app came in handy this past weekend. Fiancees sister left her phone in a field where we had a fire
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 pm

mac5155 wrote:Find my iphone app came in handy this past weekend. Fiancees sister left her phone in a field where we had a fire

That is a great app. I may have told this story here, but it's worth repeating.

We went to Dirty Myrtle for a week this summer, and took our iPad. We decided to leave late Friday night, because we had to be out by 10 am and it's only a couple of hours away. The traffic out on Saturday morning can be tough, and we didn't want to sit in it. To keep the kids occupied while we packed, we fired up the iPad with Netflix. Left the house, ate dinner, and got on the road. Made excellent time. Once in the house, our six year old says nonchalantly "Oh, I think I left the iPad at the house." He did. We fired up the app on my wife's iPhone, and there it was. Son of a... :lol: Knowing it would "disappear" with the cleaning crew, I drove back and got it.

The app is great. I can also track my wife when she's out and about. :twisted:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:54 am

My phone came yesterday. Going from a 3GS to a 5 is ridiculous. I can't believe the difference.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 am

My favorite thing about iOS 6: not having to enter a password to update an already installed app.

I haven't played around with iOS at all, but I do enjoy how Android gives you the option of automatic updates for apps. Never a password needed, for any app purchase (which can be problematic with kids who can get your phone).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR