"Bloodthirsty Al Qaeda wanna-be" arrested for...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

"Bloodthirsty Al Qaeda wanna-be" arrested for...

Postby JS© on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 pm

plotting to blow up the Federal Reserve in Lower Manhattan :shock: (sorry, couldn't fit it all in the subject line)

A bloodthirsty Al Qaeda wanna-be was busted Wednesday after setting out to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank in lower Manhattan with a bogus 1,000-pound bomb he built with the help of undercover FBI agents, officials said.
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, a Bangladeshi national living in Jamaica, Queens, boasted that he wanted to “destroy America,” federal authorities said.
He only opted for attacking the Federal Reserve after exploring an assassination attempt on President Obama, a source told the Daily News. He also scrapped a plan to bomb the New York Stock Exchange.
“We will not stop until we attain victory or martyrdom,” he threatened in a videotape he intended to release after detonating what he thought was a massive bomb, authorities said.
As he recorded the video, Nafis covered his face, wore sunglasses and disguised his voice, according to a criminal complaint.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man ... z29cGu9bro
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: "Bloodthirsty Al Qaeda wanna-be" arrested for...

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:00 am

Don't know about this...The last "plot" the FBI stopped was the plan for a suicide bomber to blow up part of the capitol. The FBI provided the inert explosives, chose the target, and promised the would-be attacker martyrdom payments for his aging mother whom he was financially unable to care for. The guy involved in this plot, by most accounts, is - to put it delicately - quite unsophisticated as well and according to NYPD commissioner, we played a very active role in ensuring this guy took the actions necessary to get arrested. We're just trolling for dupes.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:31 am

GaryRissling wrote:Don't know about this...The last "plot" the FBI stopped was the plan for a suicide bomber to blow up part of the capitol. The FBI provided the inert explosives, chose the target, and promised the would-be attacker martyrdom payments for his aging mother whom he was financially unable to care for. The guy involved in this plot, by most accounts, is - to put it delicately - quite unsophisticated as well and according to NYPD commissioner, we played a very active role in ensuring this guy took the actions necessary to get arrested. We're just trolling for dupes.

Keep trolling then... I was in the blast zone where this would have occured. There's no doubt there are people who want to pull off these attacks... I'm OK with walking the fine line between entrapment and the legal system to get these guys off the street before one of them blows me off the face of the earth.

On a related note:

Nafis was a student majoring in cybersecurity at Southeast Missouri State University from January to May of this year, said Ann Hayes, a spokeswoman for the university.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:06 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Keep trolling then... I was in the blast zone where this would have occured. There's no doubt there are people who want to pull off these attacks... I'm OK with walking the fine line between entrapment and the legal system to get these guys off the street before one of them blows me off the face of the earth.

We'll have to disagree then. We are wasting resources that could be used to foil actual terrorists on FBI-manufactured ones, plus every such event justifies more "sacrifice" of our civil liberties through Patriot-Act/NDAA style legislation and TSA harassment.

None of these cases entail the FBI’s learning of an actual plot and then infiltrating it to stop it. They all involve the FBI’s purposely seeking out Muslims (typically young and impressionable ones) whom they think harbor animosity toward the U.S. and who therefore can be induced to launch an attack despite having never taken even a single step toward doing so before the FBI targeted them. Each time the FBI announces it has disrupted its own plot, press coverage is predictably hysterical (new Homegrown Terrorist caught!), fear levels predictably rise, and new security measures are often implemented in response (the FBI’s Terror plot aimed at the D.C. Metro, for instance, led to the Metro Police announcing a new policy of random searches of passengers’ bags). I have several observations and questions about these matters:

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/29/fbi_terror/
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:26 am

GaryRissling wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Keep trolling then... I was in the blast zone where this would have occured. There's no doubt there are people who want to pull off these attacks... I'm OK with walking the fine line between entrapment and the legal system to get these guys off the street before one of them blows me off the face of the earth.

We'll have to disagree then. We are wasting resources that could be used to foil actual terrorists on FBI-manufactured ones, plus every such event justifies more "sacrifice" of our civil liberties through Patriot-Act/NDAA style legislation and TSA harassment.

None of these cases entail the FBI’s learning of an actual plot and then infiltrating it to stop it. They all involve the FBI’s purposely seeking out Muslims (typically young and impressionable ones) whom they think harbor animosity toward the U.S. and who therefore can be induced to launch an attack despite having never taken even a single step toward doing so before the FBI targeted them. Each time the FBI announces it has disrupted its own plot, press coverage is predictably hysterical (new Homegrown Terrorist caught!), fear levels predictably rise, and new security measures are often implemented in response (the FBI’s Terror plot aimed at the D.C. Metro, for instance, led to the Metro Police announcing a new policy of random searches of passengers’ bags). I have several observations and questions about these matters:

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/29/fbi_terror/

Gary, while I understand the personal freedoms aspect, if this guy had gotten access to actual
explosives, I'd quite possibly be dead or laying in a hospital somewhere.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 pm

With all due respect, EPP, you were only in a blast zone because the FBI designated the NY fed as the target. I'm not saying there aren't real dangers to worry about - esp in NYC, to the contrary, these set-ups worry me because if we're only taking down straw-men, what are we doing with the terrorists who are well-financed with real plans in place to carry out real acts of terror? Are they non-existent, or, as seems more likely, are we unaware of them?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:38 pm

You know, after reading a bit more about this guy, it seems like he was seeking out assistance and came to the FBI as such, whereas in the other examples the FBI sought out their marks. To what extent he may have been entrapped, it seems less so than in the past cases.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:46 pm

FBI Under Cover Guy: Hey. Wanna blow up some infidels?
Nutjob: YES! Make a bomb and I'll blow it up!
FBI Under Cover Guy: You're under arrest

I have no problem with this
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:FBI Under Cover Guy: Hey. Wanna blow up some infidels?
Nutjob: YES! Make a bomb and I'll blow it up!
FBI Under Cover Guy: You're under arrest

I have no problem with this

DHS: Due to increased terror activity as evidenced by these thwarted bomb plots, we need more security in public places
TSA: We'll handle that
White House: Due to increased terror activity as evidenced by these thwarted bomb plots, we need more authority for surveillance and detention
Congress: Due to increased terror activity as evidenced by these thwarted bomb plots we need to quickly expand Patriot Act powers and enact NDAA-type legislation

I have a problem with this.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 pm

GaryRissling wrote:You know, after reading a bit more about this guy, it seems like he was seeking out assistance and came to the FBI as such, whereas in the other examples the FBI sought out their marks. To what extent he may have been entrapped, it seems less so than in the past cases.

Yeah.. this guy picked the NY Fed out on his own... the FBI didn't lead him there...

The onloy thing the FBI did was sell him a "dummy load"... thank god they stepped in and he didn't get the real thing like Timothy McVie
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:You know, after reading a bit more about this guy, it seems like he was seeking out assistance and came to the FBI as such, whereas in the other examples the FBI sought out their marks. To what extent he may have been entrapped, it seems less so than in the past cases.

Yeah.. this guy picked the NY Fed out on his own... the FBI didn't lead him there...

The onloy thing the FBI did was sell him a "dummy load"... thank god they stepped in and he didn't get the real thing like Timothy McVie

That was definitely not Reno/Holder/Freeh's finest moment.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR