Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Bengals 2012 v1.0

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Bengals 2012

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 am

penny lane wrote:dwyer did more for #27 in 1 game than g hawthorne his entire career. :)
reports of Coach Dick LeBeau's demise~ false.

I enjoyed collingsworth descriptions of Rainey~ 1, 3, 2 , 50 , 4 yards type of a back.

i hate that kind of parker. i mean back.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:04 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Image

LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 am

LeopardLetang wrote:
shmenguin wrote:the steelers are a bunch of talented f***-ups, and they've been that way during the entire tomlin era. they could win the superbowl or finish out of the playoffs. certainly not a boring team to follow.

pretty much since they have roethlisberger is the real reason they could win the super bowl each year. the D's obviously still always been good but when you have a clutch QB you have a chance.

on the topic of the D, it's so disheartening over the last two years or so to see teams running the ball on it. opponents used to try to run 1st down, no gain, second down, loss of one, and completely give up on it. every opponent. for almost a decade. and these last few years i've let my frustration about non perfect run D be exaggerrated because i was so used to that. and i want to blame lebeau (and hampton/no smith or him not healthy etc). but it's a passing league now. maybe it's becoming less important to be able to stop the run. maybe it's more important to shut down aj green. did the bengals get 200 yards?

this game is the perfect example. i've rarely been so embarrassed by a steelers D against a non-patriots passing type game like i was on that bengals down our throats 15 play running game drive. and it seemed to confirm my expectations of this defense eventually collapsing to a lower middle tier. and if polamalu doesn't come back and harrison can't torque his knee and hood and heyward don't step it up immediately along with timmons and if the young corners don't pan out and if it becomes mundy and scott shields or whoever at safety then lebeau better continue to improve with age because i still see the collapse coming. but it didn't happen yesterday.

They didn't just stop the run, they forced the QB to make bad throws. They were able to blitz all the time and still stop the run. Thats why their D was great.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 am

agree. and that's missing from this D as well. but the completely stuffing the run aspect of the D is what i miss the most
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:13 am

I think with more teams using a spread offense, it kind of limits what you can do with a 3-4. With the league being as pass happy as it is, you really need to be able to get at the qb with a 4 man rush. It's not really about hiding your exotic blitzes anymore.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 am

I don't know how Casey Hampton stands on his knees, much less get into a football stance.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am

Froggy wrote:I think with more teams using a spread offense, it kind of limits what you can do with a 3-4. With the league being as pass happy as it is, you really need to be able to get at the qb with a 4 man rush. It's not really about hiding your exotic blitzes anymore.

maybe, but i could argue the other way. so many option routes over the middle and presnap communication between QBs/WRs that disguising your defense and dropping surprising guys into zones can foil the quick passing tendencies.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:44 am

LeopardLetang wrote:agree. and that's missing from this D as well. but the completely stuffing the run aspect of the D is what i miss the most

me too. it was always nice to know that there was no chance someone was going to tear us up on the ground.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 am

Is it conceivable for the return team to not commit holding on a punt return?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 am

Troy Loney wrote:Is it conceivable for the return team to not commit holding on a punt return?

Its possible in a fair catch scenario.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:36 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... vrit=53285

emanuel sanders 4 the best dive since sid and giroux were last on ice! 8-) :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous