Boardwalk Empire

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Stoosh on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:20 pm

the wicked child wrote:
Stoosh wrote:This week's episode....Whooooooaahhhhh

Spoiler:
6. I felt bad for the original paperboy. And the waitress, actually.

8. Loved Cantor's comment to Billie at the end about Lucy.

Spoiler:
6. waste of a good redhead :(
8. I didn't get that... should I have?

Spoiler:
Re: Comment #8

Cantor's quote to Billie Kent was, "Ever heard of Lucy Danzinger?" When she said no, Cantor replied, "The next one won't hear about you, either."

Not sure if you started watching the show from the start, but Lucy was Nucky's showgirl mistress/arm candy in Season One. After he encountered and ultimately set his focus on Margaret (back when she was still Margaret Schroeder), Nucky quickly became bored with Lucy, dropping her altogether in favor of Margaret.

Cantor is upset with Nucky because Nucky selfishly strong-arms Cantor into the male lead role alongside Billie Kent in the "The Naughty Virgin". Cantor - an honest guy who was also working his own way up the showbiz ranks - had a lucrative contract with another show which Nucky effectively forced him to renege on, all because Nucky is now obsessed with Billie.

As Nucky screwed Cantor over, Cantor took a subtle shot at Nucky with the comment about Lucy. It was a little bit of foreshadowing about what may lie in store for Billie.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Okay. Now that you mention that, I remember who Lucy is/was. I forgot that was her name I guess.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Spoiler:
Well the only thing I've been right about all season was Jillian. She is indeed a lunatic.

Rothstein is controlling Nucky. Every time you think Rosetti is going to do something to overrule Nucky, Nucky strikes back. But Rothstein has him where he wants him.

Part of me wants Jimmy to come back too. But I don't know. If he does come back I'll **** my pants. I think that ship has sailed though.

What's Margaret going to do now? Part of me thinks she's going to sleep with the doctor and ruin his marriage, but who knows.

Cantor is an interesting character too. It seems his happy-go-lucky personality is all a front. When Chalky was there, his tone changed when he said "tell him i'll do it"

Loved the "Milky" line. lol

Rosetti continues to both freak me out and keep me on edge.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Spoiler:
Yeah, I would guess that Margaret will sleep with the doctor. Aside from revenge aspect, why else would they have that awkward moment where the fiance or wife came in?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Spoiler:
Really glad I chose not to watch that episode via iPad on the elliptical. I probably would've been expelled from our YMCA. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Kinda wish Gillian would go away at this point. Her character's really doing nothing to advance the plot (not now at least).

Also,

Spoiler:
Don't know why anyone would want Jimmy back. Michael Pitt was mediocre and made much of the show unwatchable. I'm finally back to regularly watching it now that he's gone. Gillian's just crazy. Yay for that.

And Nucky cheating on Margaret can't have been a surprise to her. I didn't get the impression they've exactly heated up the bedroom at any point in recent time, so she must've known a man of his position would be getting some kind of action somewhere else. She's not that naive anymore. I think the whole caught in the act thing is what made it different.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:46 am

Spoiler:
Jimmy was supposed to be a "dead" character. Michael Pitt Played him the way he was meant to be played IMO.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:21 am

meecrofilm wrote:Kinda wish Gillian would go away at this point. Her character's really doing nothing to advance the plot (not now at least).

Also,

Spoiler:
Don't know why anyone would want Jimmy back. Michael Pitt was mediocre and made much of the show unwatchable. I'm finally back to regularly watching it now that he's gone. Gillian's just crazy. Yay for that.

And Nucky cheating on Margaret can't have been a surprise to her. I didn't get the impression they've exactly heated up the bedroom at any point in recent time, so she must've known a man of his position would be getting some kind of action somewhere else. She's not that naive anymore. I think the whole caught in the act thing is what made it different.

Spoiler:
Jimmy was one of the few "good" guys left, at least up until he killed the Commodore. I almost feel bad for him thanks to his mother and the things she's done to him. I agree I don't think he's coming back but he played the character pretty good.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Why is the theme song so damn long.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 am

Mr. Colby wrote:Why is the theme song so damn long.

i seriously dont start watching the recording until it has progressed enough that i can fast forward through it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:08 am

The episode didnt really do much of anything...

Spoiler:
Besides reinforcing what we already know re: Gillian's insanity and bringing back the tryst under nucky's nose.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Laaaaame episode. Need more Rothstein.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm

I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but it certainly seems to me that this season is lacking in terms of real, central dramatic tension to keep things focused and the plot moving forward. I know there's the Gyp Rosetti feud, but that pales in comparison to the Nucky/Jimmy showdown that ran through last season.

Other than a few episodes towards the end of last season, Boardwalk's been a "Well, I'll watch when I get around to it" type of show for me. The acting is usually top-notch, it's interesting to see both the historical era and various historical personages portrayed in such a detailed way, and there is usually a healthy dose of entertaining nudity and violence. However, I've never had that burning desire to see the next episode because I can't stand waiting to see what happens.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 pm

That was pretty weak... first episode I haven't really enjoyed this season. Just meh.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 am

Too much of the auxillary stuff that no one really cares about but tolerates (Gillian, the kids, to name a few), and they crammed it all into one episode. So yeah...
Last edited by meecrofilm on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 am

That Gillian is a freak. A real freak. :lol:

Definitely a slow episode. Liking Stephen Root's southern creepiness though.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 am

Dear Writers,

We know Gillian is a whack job. we dont need to devote any more time to it. I guess you can look at it as some Jimmy closure, but ffs, it isnt necessary to devote so much to it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm

canaan wrote:Dear Writers,

We know Gillian is a whack job. we dont need to devote any more time to it. I guess you can look at it as some Jimmy closure, but ffs, it isnt necessary to devote so much to it.

This. No reason to drag it into 2 full episodes.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 am

Another slow episode. Interesting where the Gyp storyline ends up though.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:51 am

I feel like this episode would have been better had the previous episode not also been slow... it was a lot of character development kind of stuff... which is fine... but at some point you'd like to see business pick back up.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 am

Last night was pretty good. In every season of this show, there is always a point where it gets so slow that I am ready to stop watching, and then it picks up again (last night was a perfect example). One question that I have though...

Spoiler:
What does Van Alden need to repay those guys for, since they are making him provide them with 24 bottles of whiskey every week?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 am

I'm now 3 episodes behind..i should catch up.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Last night was pretty good. In every season of this show, there is always a point where it gets so slow that I am ready to stop watching, and then it picks up again (last night was a perfect example). One question that I have though...

Spoiler:
What does Van Alden need to repay those guys for, since they are making him provide them with 24 bottles of whiskey every week?

Spoiler:
They took care of his dead-Treasury agent body several episodes. Thus, he has to work that debt off. ;)

Spoiler:
I'm going to miss Billie Kent. I knew she was dead as soon as she got that Annuity agreement from Nucky. :(
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Spoiler:
-Van Alden's freakout was hilariously awesome.

-Classic Rosetti bringing a bomb to a gunfight.

-I love how they are setting up Capone to become what he becomes
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR