Scenes From World War II Photoshopped Onto Today's Streets

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Scenes From World War II Photoshopped Onto Today's Streets

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:11 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Scenes From World War II Photoshopped Onto Today's Stree

Postby Geezer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Definitely.
Not to change direction Columbia but if the History Channels (think I saw it on H2) ever shows it series on WWI I'd recommend you watch it. You seem to appreciate historical context.I've bought several books and learned as much as I can about WWI. I learned I had 5 great uncles in the war and they were all combat guys;not rear echelon support troops. Two were gassed. But there were many fascinating facts that I never knew.Future leaders like Truman,DeGaulle, Hitler,Brit General Montgomery,Patton, and modern Turkey leader AttaTurk all were vets of this war. At the Peace Conference Guys like Ho Chi Minh (who admired and quoted the American constitution) and various Arab leaders .who thought they were going to get independence after opposing the Ottoman empire, participated. New counties like Czechoslovakia were created while others like Poland had huge border changes. It's amazing how that war shaped the remainder of the century.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 pm

I would definitely like to see that, Geezer.
Definitely let me know if you see that it's on again.

I feel like my knowledge of WWI is pretty slim. Maybe because a lot of people can at least think of a grandfather or uncle who served in WWII. The Great War seems so abstract, in comparison.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm

That link is pretty cool. The one hits the most is the dead guy sitting on the steps. People probably walk there every day, not realizing that a solider was killed and just sitting there 70 years ago.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 pm

columbia wrote:I would definitely like to see that, Geezer.

I feel like my knowledge of WWI is pretty slim. Maybe because a lot of people can at least think of a grandfather or uncle who served in WWII. The Great War seems so abstract, in comparison.

Yeah, I know some about WWI, but I'd love to learn a lot more about it. Like you said, I love watching things on WWII, and it's mainly because growing up, I knew people who fought in that war and you heard all the stories from your grandparents. There was a personal feel to that. I know of no one who fought or was alive during WWI.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Yeah, I know some about WWI, but I'd love to learn a lot more about it. Like you said, I love watching things on WWII, and it's mainly because growing up, I knew people who fought in that war and you heard all the stories from your grandparents. There was a personal feel to that. I know of no one who fought or was alive during WWI.

My great grandfather was in WWI, infantry. The man was in the trenches. Survived, came home and taught school. He passed away when I was young, but he was a very cool dude.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 am

Awesome link. I am definitely going to check out more pictures when I have the time.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 am

IrishEyes wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

My great grandfather was in WWI, infantry. The man was in the trenches. Survived, came home and taught school. He passed away when I was young, but he was a very cool dude.

everyone I know with a grandparent in WWI, never met them and they themselves are pushing 60 years old. :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 am

My great grandfather was in WWI. He was gassed (mustard gas per my dad) and awarded a Purple Heart. I have his discharge papers and purple heart. I believe his uniform is still up in the attic of my house (my grandma's old house before she was moved to a skilled care home).
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 am

Very cool stuff
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 am

Godric wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

everyone I know with a grandparent in WWI, never met them and they themselves are pushing 60 years old. :pop:

Which is why it's so cool that I got to know him, if only for a few years. I think I was 3 or 4 when he passed. My grandma is 82, so if that helps you with the time table. :wink:
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Godric wrote:everyone I know with a grandparent in WWI, never met them and they themselves are pushing 60 years old. :pop:

Wat

Assuming he served in 1916 (at 18 for the sake of argument), he would have been in his late 80s towards the end of the Reagan Administration. That's hardly far fetched. Say he has a kid in 1920, grand kid in 1950, great grand kid in 1980ish.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:18 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Godric wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Which is why it's so cool that I got to know him, if only for a few years. I think I was 3 or 4 when he passed. My grandma is 82, so if that helps you with the time table. :wink:

Glad you got to meet him. I was lucky to grow up in my Grandparents' house. It was a great experience
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:32 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Very cool stuff

Yep, awesome... chilling images.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Return to NHR