PSU Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby mac5155 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:20 pm

A travesty knowing Wisconsin might make the rose Bowl with 4 losses. Lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

mac5155 wrote:A travesty knowing Wisconsin might make the rose Bowl with 4 losses. Lol

I think it's quite funny to know that the B1G stands a real chance of losing every single bowl game this winter. :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:07 am

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:35 am

count2infinity wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--penn-state-still-penn-state-despite-freeh-report-jerry-sandusky-damning-effects.html

pretty good read.

That is a good read, thanks.

Only part I thought was odd was: I know that there are many vocal Paterno defenders, but are there really still people who think Sandusky is innocent, other than Dottie?
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm

mac5155 wrote:A travesty knowing Wisconsin might make the rose Bowl with 4 losses. Lol

This is nothing new. Sub-par teams have been heading to the Rose Bowl from the Big Ten for several years. Mostly 2 and 3 loss teams, but definitely some 4 loss teams in there also.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby canaan on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Pitt87 wrote:

This is nothing new. Sub-par teams have been heading to the Rose Bowl from the Big Ten for several years. Mostly 2 and 3 loss teams, but definitely some 4 loss teams in there also.

i only checked back til 2000 and there were no 4 loss big ten teams in the rose bowl and only 2 3 loss teams (Purdue, 2001; Illinois, 2008) to call 2 loss teams sub par is strange. the SEC has sent 3 loss teams to the Sugar Bowl as well.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:06 pm

canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

i only checked back til 2000 and there were no 4 loss big ten teams in the rose bowl and only 2 3 loss teams (Purdue, 2001; Illinois, 2008) to call 2 loss teams sub par is strange. the SEC has sent 3 loss teams to the Sugar Bowl as well.

But that doesn't fit the agenda :pop: Get out of here with your numbers, Ike Swagga
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm

mac5155 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

But that doesn't fit the agenda :pop: Get out of here with your numbers, Ike Swagga

That's right... both Purdue and Illinois finished with 4 losses, including the Rose Bowl losses. Wisconsin hasn't lost 4 either, but historically it hasn't mattered. Big Ten has two wins in their last 10 Rose Bowl appearances.

The Big Ten was on a decline well before OSU and PSU removed themselves from contention.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:10 pm

PSU opened as a 1 1/2 point favorite, and the line has already shifted to PK. The vast majority of money seems to be on the Buckeyes
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

That's right... both Purdue and Illinois finished with 4 losses, including the Rose Bowl losses. Wisconsin hasn't lost 4 either, but historically it hasn't mattered. Big Ten has two wins in their last 10 Rose Bowl appearances.

The Big Ten was on a decline well before OSU and PSU removed themselves from contention.

i dont think that is necessarily a fact. the big ten seems to be on the same playing field its been on for the past 20-30 years. the problem is that the shift in top-end talent (mostly talent from texas, california, florida) have become more concentrated from the big east, pac 10, acc, etc to the SEC/Big XII. Its apparent in former top end programs like Miami where they used to draw the NFL caliber recruits and now those guys are staying relatively local, but branching out to LSU, Georgia, Oklahoma moreso than before. I dont think it necessarily means that the big ten is weaker in terms of talent, as so much as the SEC/Big XII have grown and assimilated ACC/Big East talent pools more aggressively.

i guess that can be argued either way, but i dont think saying that the big ten is in decline is ultimately a clear cut fact based on a year where Brees lit it up for Purdue and Mendenhall did the same for the Illini.

i could be biased on this because i really enjoy the brand of big ten football--it still has a semblance of tradition to it, opposed to the new age corporate NCAA feel.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

So you are in agreement that there were no 4 loss teams headed to the Rose Bowl?

USC has dominated much of the last decade, and Oregon looks to do the same. I agree that these two programs are of higher caliber than anything in the Big 10 right now but I'm afraid of what your standards are if you think the top-end talent in the B1G has been "sub-par". In fact, in the last 6 years I see 3-4 teams that were an upset loss away from being national championship contenders.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:02 pm

We beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 pm

MRandall25 wrote:We beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl :pop:

KiJana Carter was tremendous in that game.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:58 pm

PghSkins wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:We beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl :pop:

KiJana Carter was tremendous in that game.

I was referring to OSU, which was 15 years after Penn State (hey, we're both B1G, vested interest in the conversation).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 pm

What Terelle Pryor could have been. Random, but I remember in HS we lost to Jeanette in the playoffs, they were the most dominant offensive team I have ever seen (at that level). Aliquippa this year is close, but Pryor was just unfair.

Anyway, apparently Miller is all healed up. Should be a heck of a game. I'll be tailgating with the best from about 9 AM until kickoff. Can't wait!
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:What Terelle Pryor could have been. Random, but I remember in HS we lost to Jeanette in the playoffs, they were the most dominant offensive team I have ever seen (at that level). Aliquippa this year is close, but Pryor was just unfair.

Anyway, apparently Miller is all healed up. Should be a heck of a game. I'll be tailgating with the best from about 9 AM until kickoff. Can't wait!

They also had Jordan Hall, who came here with Pryor. He's a bit banged up, but I think he and Hyde would be splitting carries.

PSU-OSU is always a hell of a game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 am

MRandall25 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:What Terelle Pryor could have been. Random, but I remember in HS we lost to Jeanette in the playoffs, they were the most dominant offensive team I have ever seen (at that level). Aliquippa this year is close, but Pryor was just unfair.

They also had Jordan Hall, who came here with Pryor. He's a bit banged up, but I think he and Hyde would be splitting carries.

PSU-OSU is always a hell of a game.

I played HS football with JHall. He was at Southmoreland for his Freshman year, my senior, and then transferred to Jeanette. Of course, we had him playing OLB. Sooo.. good thing he left :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:33 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

So you are in agreement that there were no 4 loss teams headed to the Rose Bowl?

USC has dominated much of the last decade, and Oregon looks to do the same. I agree that these two programs are of higher caliber than anything in the Big 10 right now but I'm afraid of what your standards are if you think the top-end talent in the B1G has been "sub-par". In fact, in the last 6 years I see 3-4 teams that were an upset loss away from being national championship contenders.

Nothing to agree with... thats a fact, or semantics... or whatever you want to call it. But, for the third time, Wisconsin hasn't lost 4 games this year.

B1G! Do people really type that out?... and no, the talent isn't the issue. Its winning. Again, might just be semantics but your "3-4 teams that were an upset loss away" -- assuming they are not all an iteration of Ohio State who has played in a BCS championship game twice in that period -- are all teams that lost a game they probably should not have lost and missed a chance at a championship... Since the first BCS National Championship in '99, the Big Ten, ACC, and Big East have identical records in BCS National Championship games.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 pm

According to the @NCAA, Penn State football's African American graduation success rate is 94%, which is 32% above the national average.
(https://twitter.com/OnwardState/status/ ... 4968351745)
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 pm

quit putting PSU up on a pedestal like that!!! ;)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Wouldn't want to create a culture problem.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... te#comment

91% overall, good enough for 7th out of all FBS schools.

What is really funny is that by taking away scholarships, you are going to have kids who would have graduated at PSU attending schools that care much less about academics. Effectively, you are indirectly "punishing" more kids by taking away the option for a free education at one of the best universities (in terms of football graduation rates) in the country.

The football/academic cultural balance was one of the strongest things this program had going for it, and the NCAA had the ignorance to say we need to focus on academics. Taking scholarships away from this program is a joke predicated on ensuring a losing football team and nothing more.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm heading up 7am Saturday morning, I may die of alcohol poisoning by game time.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:24 pm

thepittman wrote:I'm heading up 7am Saturday morning, I may die of alcohol poisoning by game time.

Enjoy...I had tickets but had to give them up. Disappointing, should be a great evening and a great game.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah, wish I could go but with a wedding coming up the funds just arent there.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR