Current book being read/just finished

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current book being read/just finished

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I can get so much real enjoyment out of life that those things won't give me. Those are just trappings that tie me down and prevent me from doing something more meaningful.

It sounds like you have it right, to me. :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Agreed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Because I keep seeing literary allusions to Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, I decided to read the book. While I recognize the critical acclaim this book has generated, I personally was not impressed. I found it to be a muddled stream-of-consciousness mess. I spend the beginning of the book trying to figure out what the heck was going on, the middle of the book trying to figure out what the heck was going on, and at the end of the book I was still trying to figure out what the heck was going on. In my opinion, in terms of quality and clarity of prose, authors like, for example, John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway would wipe the floor with Conrad.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Whatever you do, do not attempt to read The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne.

It's near impossible to follow. Supposed to read like an autobiography of sorts, but instead turns into a gigantic cluster**** because he can't stay on the story line for more than a page without having to digress and write 5 pages on why one little thing happened how it did.

Then there's an entire chapter devoted to why he has to digress. It's a mess.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Not much is going on. Despite the racist undertones, I likeHeart if Darkness very much and I do think that Conrad is a great stylist. I'm not sure, however, if Conrad would agree with the reception by both the critics and the readers over the years. To an extent, the novel has become much more than it - or Conrad - ever intended it to be, but that's just how literature works sometimes, and it doesn't really matter if Conrad likes the interpretations or not. The novel is a bit like Kafka without trying to be Kafka.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Faulkner, Tolstoy, and A. Huxley are far and away my favorite authors on what I've read in the last couple years

Random, I know, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Godric wrote:Faulkner, Tolstoy, and A. Huxley are far and away my favorite authors on what I've read in the last couple years

Thomas Pynchon, Jonathan Lethem, Cormac McCarthy, Jorge Luis Borges, James Joyce, Thomas Mann, Graham Greene, Paul Auster, Samuel Beckett, Julian Barnes, Bruce Chatwin. You can thank me later.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Auf Deutsch oder auf Englisch?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Mann und Borges auf Deutsch, der Rest auf Englisch.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Frank Herbert's Dune...amazing

Just started this today. Seen the movies, and I always wanted to read it, never got around to it. I'm tackling the whole damn series.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:49 am

Having endured Dune recently, I say turn back. The world he created is interesting enough, but I found Herbert's characters too cliche and his writing too tedious. Not a Sci-fi classic for me.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 am

MRandall25 wrote:Whatever you do, do not attempt to read The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne.

It's near impossible to follow. Supposed to read like an autobiography of sorts, but instead turns into a gigantic cluster**** because he can't stay on the story line for more than a page without having to digress and write 5 pages on why one little thing happened how it did.

Then there's an entire chapter devoted to why he has to digress. It's a mess.

Being unilingual, I didn't like how he kept going into French, otherwise I thought it was pretty funny. There wasn't really supposed to be anything to follow, it was just about his crazy family and his thoughts.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 am

Gaucho wrote:Not much is going on. Despite the racist undertones, I likeHeart if Darkness very much and I do think that Conrad is a great stylist. I'm not sure, however, if Conrad would agree with the reception by both the critics and the readers over the years. To an extent, the novel has become much more than it - or Conrad - ever intended it to be, but that's just how literature works sometimes, and it doesn't really matter if Conrad likes the interpretations or not. The novel is a bit like Kafka without trying to be Kafka.

I have it on the kindle, i'm actually reading the Trial right now on the Kindle and Heart of Darkness is on deck.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:44 am

Godric wrote:Faulkner, Tolstoy, and A. Huxley are far and away my favorite authors on what I've read in the last couple years

I assume you've read Dosteovsky, but I would certainly suggest him for your taste. I've been reading all classics lately so I probably can't tell you anything you haven't heard before, but as for modern stuff, I highly recommend tackling Infinite Jest, and this book have been highly recommended by a friend of mine.
http://www.amazon.com/HHhH-Novel-Lauren ... 0374169918
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 am

jmh470 wrote:Having endured Dune recently, I say turn back. The world he created is interesting enough, but I found Herbert's characters too cliche and his writing too tedious. Not a Sci-fi classic for me.

Herbert beats the political drum aspects of the realm way too in-depth for those looking for a quality science fiction read, but its not daunting--just boring at times.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:10 am

Troy Loney wrote:

I assume you've read Dosteovsky, but I would certainly suggest him for your taste. I've been reading all classics lately so I probably can't tell you anything you haven't heard before, but as for modern stuff, I highly recommend tackling Infinite Jest, and this book have been highly recommended by a friend of mine.

Infinite Jest has been sitting on my shelf like a brick for some time now. Literally. Since everything else by Wallace ranges from terrific to tedious I've been reluctant to tackle that monster. Next year maybe.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 am

Gaucho wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Infinite Jest has been sitting on my shelf like a brick for some time now. Literally. Since everything else by Wallace ranges from terrific to tedious I've been reluctant to tackle that monster. Next year maybe.

I'm thinking about rereading it this winter.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 am

Gaucho wrote:

Thomas Pynchon, Jonathan Lethem, Cormac McCarthy, Jorge Luis Borges, James Joyce, Thomas Mann, Graham Greene, Paul Auster, Samuel Beckett, Julian Barnes, Bruce Chatwin. You can thank me later.

ditto on McCarthy (Blood Meridian is my personal fave and have noted as such in the thread), Greene (Power and the Glory), and Beckett (Godot). I'll add:

A Canticle for Lebowitz (Walter Miller)
This Way to the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen (Tadeusz Borowski)
All Quiet on the Western Front (Remarque)
Love in the Time of Cholera (GG Marquez)
Pygmalion (Shaw)
Mrs. Dalloway (Woolf)
The Awakening (Chopin...for the feminist in us all)
In Cold Blood (Capote)
Jude the Obscure (Hardy)
Harrison Bergeron (Vonnegut)
The Importance of Being Earnest (Wilde)

...some of my favorites.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:30 am

Have you read any other Woolf? I read To the Lighthouse this year and had immense trouble following it....so I'm now not interested in trying anything else from her...unless I learn that her other stuff is more accessible (nice way of putting easier)
Last edited by Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:36 am

Troy Loney wrote:Have you read any other Woolf? I read To the Lighthouse this year and had immense trouble following it....so I'm now interested in trying anything else from her...unless I learn that her other stuff is more accessible (nice way of putting easier)

To the Lighthouse is a mediocre attempt at stream of consciousness--its not worth the effort, in my opinion. The Waves is okay but nothing fantastic.

The Years is probably my 2nd favorite behind Mrs. Dalloway.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 am

I think i'm actually going to free up some time with the move i'm making this weekend. I can't decide if I should dust off the 360 or start reading again. I have 35-40 books that are just sitting in a box waiting to be read.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 am

canaan wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Have you read any other Woolf? I read To the Lighthouse this year and had immense trouble following it....so I'm now interested in trying anything else from her...unless I learn that her other stuff is more accessible (nice way of putting easier)

To the Lighthouse is a mediocre attempt at stream of consciousness--its not worth the effort, in my opinion. The Waves is okay but nothing fantastic.

The Years is probably my 2nd favorite behind Mrs. Dalloway.

That's good to know, i'll probably get to Mrs Dalloway at some point.

On a somewhat related note, is anyone familiar with what makes a book available for free and not? Woolf for instance has several of her books on the prject gutenberg site, but not all of them? Why?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 am

I will suggest:

White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

Read it a while back and have been thinking about picking it back up. Good read

At the center of this invigorating novel are two unlikely friends, Archie Jones and Samad Iqbal. Hapless veterans of World War II, Archie and Samad and their families become agents of England’s irrevocable transformation. A second marriage to Clara Bowden, a beautiful, albeit tooth-challenged, Jamaican half his age, quite literally gives Archie a second lease on life, and produces Irie, a knowing child whose personality doesn’t quite match her name (Jamaican for “no problem”). Samad’s late-in-life arranged marriage (he had to wait for his bride to be born), produces twin sons whose separate paths confound Iqbal’s every effort to direct them, and a renewed, if selective, submission to his Islamic faith. Set against London’s racial and cultural tapestry, venturing across the former empire and into the past as it barrels toward the future, White Teeth revels in the ecstatic hodgepodge of modern life, flirting with disaster, confounding expectations, and embracing the comedy of daily existence.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am

The copyright expires after a certain time (ie x years after publication or x years after the author's death). The rules differ from country to country, as far as I know.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 am

eddysnake wrote:White Teeth by Zadie Smith. Good read

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR