Pen Preferences/Suggestions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pen Preferences/Suggestions

Postby CBear3 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Shyster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Shyster might be more of a Mont Blan kind of guy....I like liquid ink pens.

I can’t afford those, although I do primarily use fountain pens. I have a trio of Lamy Al-Star pens, one each devoted to black, blue, and red ink. I also often use a 50-year-old Parker 51 that belonged to my grandfather. When I use a non-fountain pen, it’s usually a Pilot G2 gel pen. I used to use the Pilot Precise V-5s and really liked them, but I switched to the G2 gels when Pilot came out with them (that was back when I was in college, IIRC).

I can’t really give that much advice on the current crop of liquid-ink pens, as I don’t really use any of them. I can make a recommendation that Troy may come to hate me for: http://www.jetpens.com/. It’s a company imports and sells pens and office supplies from Japan. The Japanese are great aficionados of pens and office supplies and they have all sorts of neat pens that aren’t available in the United States. For example, they sell ultra-fine Pilot G2s with 0.38 mm points. (Because the Japanese need to write kanji characters that in many cases are more detailed and complex than the characters our alphabet, their pens tend to have finer points than pens sold elsewhere.) I don’t think I’ve ever seen those for sale here.

Never a let down.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:05 pm

count2infinity wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:I use a Pilot G2 limited. It's gel, but doesn't run too much. Spent a whole $10 on it at Staples. :lol:

I am a pilot G2 fan as well.

Same here. Been using the same one for over a year now. I've had to refill of course. I love this pen.

Also, froggy, post the KITH pen sketch please. I'm on mobile and can't do it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm

CBear3 wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Shyster might be more of a Mont Blan kind of guy....I like liquid ink pens.

I can’t afford those, although I do primarily use fountain pens. I have a trio of Lamy Al-Star pens, one each devoted to black, blue, and red ink. I also often use a 50-year-old Parker 51 that belonged to my grandfather. When I use a non-fountain pen, it’s usually a Pilot G2 gel pen. I used to use the Pilot Precise V-5s and really liked them, but I switched to the G2 gels when Pilot came out with them (that was back when I was in college, IIRC).

I can’t really give that much advice on the current crop of liquid-ink pens, as I don’t really use any of them. I can make a recommendation that Troy may come to hate me for: http://www.jetpens.com/. It’s a company imports and sells pens and office supplies from Japan. The Japanese are great aficionados of pens and office supplies and they have all sorts of neat pens that aren’t available in the United States. For example, they sell ultra-fine Pilot G2s with 0.38 mm points. (Because the Japanese need to write kanji characters that in many cases are more detailed and complex than the characters our alphabet, their pens tend to have finer points than pens sold elsewhere.) I don’t think I’ve ever seen those for sale here.

Never a let down.

Let's see what Mrs. Shyster has to say first...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm

My favorite pen is the Bic one that my bank gave me. Its got a nice grip and a cap.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm

orbitz, zebra, gel blue and black ink~

medium. bic smooth writing.

Spoiler:

+
Spoiler:
gino, brooks, craig adams, sid :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Whatever is in the company supply closet.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Fisher space pens ftw
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby ulf on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm

I was half expecting Shyster to come in and say he uses a feather, and I was kinda close.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Basic gel pens. I prefer the Foray Gelio series, and even buy them out-of-pocket for work.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 am

Pilot easy touch pro ftw
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 am

Shyster wrote:

target on mt nebo just started carrying the .38
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 am

I started using Pigma Micron pens when taking a design course in grad school, and I started using them for everyday writing. They are primarily used for drawing and drafting, and the key difference that you'll notice when using them is the quality of the ink. I usually go with an 03(.35mm) or 05(.45mm) with dark blue ink, but I suggest you try one. You'll notice a difference right away from ordinary pens.
Spoiler:
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:45 am

i always have trouble with those pens because the tip splits on them easily and it ends up with 2 lines
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 am

Can you refill the ink on those pens? I am taking a drawing class right now and the teacher suggested and expensive drawing pen that used refillable ink.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 am

Troy Loney wrote:Can you refill the ink on those pens? I am taking a drawing class right now and the teacher suggested and expensive drawing pen that used refillable ink.

Nope. But you'll likely want to get different widths if you're using them for drawing.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i always have trouble with those pens because the tip splits on them easily and it ends up with 2 lines

Really? I've never had a problem. Do you write like frankenstein? You hardly have to put any pressure on them.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i always have trouble with those pens because the tip splits on them easily and it ends up with 2 lines

Really? I've never had a problem. Do you write like frankenstein? You hardly have to put any pressure on them.

i write very hard
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 am

for some reason i love this thread. from thinking "pen" meant for animals when first reading the title, to a shyster sighting and the comments anticipating his arrival and the following approvals of it, to realizing how badly pics were lacking until penny's post to imagining frankenstein breaking a writing pen and spraying ink all over a letter he was writing
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

i write very hard

gentle touch, LITT, gentle touch...
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LeopardLetang on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:02 am

worth a shot LITT?

LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous