Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 am

Spangler wrote:I understand Attack of the Show and XPlay aren't the most quality of of shows, but I like them and watched G4 since the stations inception. It was announced that both shows will be cancelled in relation to G4's rebranding in December.

I'm really disappointed after hearing the news. Those were the only 2 shows left that had video game ties to the channel, and this marks the official death of G4. I'm really going to miss their E3 coverage along with Comic-Con. I looked forward to their coverage every year, and I'm going to miss true gamer fans like Morgan Web and Adam Sessler discussing games (I'm aware Sessler left the show earlier this year).

I know their are other better alternatives, but it won't be the same for me.

On an unrelated note, I don't know what this means for the Japanese version of Ninja Warrior.

I really had to rant somewhere.

I know. That kinda sucks. Not that I watched either religiously, but whenever I caught one, I was impressed. They better replace at least the video game one with something similar.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:53 am

ajh2298 wrote:Stay away from the new Medal of Honor game its a train wreck. And if you even have a slight itch to try it out rent it from Gamefly or the Redbox. Single player can be beat in like 6-7 hours.

you do realize its geared toward online multiplayer right? No one should buy that game for the story mode
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:01 am

Godric wrote:
ajh2298 wrote:Stay away from the new Medal of Honor game its a train wreck. And if you even have a slight itch to try it out rent it from Gamefly or the Redbox. Single player can be beat in like 6-7 hours.

you do realize its geared toward online multiplayer right? No one should buy that game for the story mode

I think even MP games should have a qualilty single player. Did you ever play the original MoH? One of the best single campaigns ever. Honestly, to this day I remember parts of it. That's how big an impression the game had on me. I think that if they make these games specifically for MP, they shouldn't even bother with a crappy single player. Save time and money and a lot of pissed off customers. Yes/No?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby demondg1 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 am

Spangler wrote:I understand Attack of the Show and XPlay aren't the most quality of of shows, but I like them and watched G4 since the stations inception. It was announced that both shows will be cancelled in relation to G4's rebranding in December.

I'm really disappointed after hearing the news. Those were the only 2 shows left that had video game ties to the channel, and this marks the official death of G4. I'm really going to miss their E3 coverage along with Comic-Con. I looked forward to their coverage every year, and I'm going to miss true gamer fans like Morgan Web and Adam Sessler discussing games (I'm aware Sessler left the show earlier this year).

I know their are other better alternatives, but it won't be the same for me.

On an unrelated note, I don't know what this means for the Japanese version of Ninja Warrior.

I really had to rant somewhere.

AOTS has been completely un-watchable since Kevin left. Probably should have been canceled in June. I found myself always putting it on out of habit and never enjoying it.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 am

AC3 and WWE 13 come out tomorrow.. Was hoping to finish Dishonored before then, but ain't gonna happen.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 am

I loved Screen Savers on G4/TechTV with Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton. It was like nerd-heaven. They would build PCs on the air, show overclocking and other tweaks, have livestreams of games, and so on. Really cool show. Then Comcrap bought the whole network and killed the show.

Also, has anyone purchased Mario Brothers 3 for the Virtual Console on the Wii? We did, and it seems like there are some serious graphical glitches. My ROM version for Nesoid looks and plays better...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 am

I only ever bought one thing from the wii shop that wasn't songs for GH/RB... Mega Man 9. It was just stupid hard and I never bothered to finish it.

No reason to pay $ for any nes/snes era games when you can easily get roms/emulators. Yeah, you aren't playing them on the tv, but the price is right.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 am

Up to 48% of Lego Star Wars. While still my least favorite, it's not as bad as I originally thoughts. THe General Grevious boards are actually really good. The other 2 story lines sucked. Too many just big battles which get boring and redundant.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 am

Sarcastic wrote:
Godric wrote:

I think even MP games should have a qualilty single player. Did you ever play the original MoH? One of the best single campaigns ever. Honestly, to this day I remember parts of it. That's how big an impression the game had on me. I think that if they make these games specifically for MP, they shouldn't even bother with a crappy single player. Save time and money and a lot of pissed off customers. Yes/No?

Dont get me wrong the single player on this one is pretty good when you are playing it as a FPS. But there are like three driving missions including a horrible "stealth driving" mission. there is also a driving a boat mission and even a couple on missions when you are just a gunner in a jeep or a helicopter. Plus I think the MOH games are geared more towards the single-player stuff and the Battlefield games are EA's big MP games.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:51 pm

So I finally finished Resident Evil 6, and the first thing I'm going to say is the Gamespot score of 4.5 was total garbage. The guy overreacted way too much.

I have difficulty trying to give a solid opinion of the game. There are aspects to the game that are refreshing to see again, and others aspects that are flat or incomplete.

The atmosphere to most of the game is the best it's been since Code Veronica. There are a lot of dark, claustrophobic set pieces. It was definitely much improved over Re5's brightly lit scenarios. Unfortunately, the small arsenal and partners take away from the sense of fear. If you play by yourself, your partner can't die. There's no point in helping him/her because he/she will get back up. They are also pretty capable of killing enemies, especially during scenes where there are more than one AI helping. There were times where I was occupied with something else, and just let the AI handle the enemies. Playing with a partner is cool and all, but I believe it is the biggest detriment to capturing the uneasiness of past REs. It makes things too easy and too comfortable.

Despite the excellent atmosphere there are many over the top action scenes. I don't mind all of them, but there are a ridiculous amount of chase scenes. There's a car chase, a helicopter chase, a jet ski chase, and a motorcycle chase. It's like the game is trying to be a racing game. That time would have been better spent fleshing out the character/story.

I was really excited about the multiple campaigns, but it became what I feared: they were merely 4 shorter campaigns instead of 4 extended campaigns. I read they were all going to be 3/4 the length of Re5. Instead all are about 5 hours in length. It's hard to grow attached to any character/campaigns when they last that long. Not to mention you play some of the exact same scenarios as other campaigns.

Out of the 4 campaigns, I think I liked Chris's the least. It was more like RE5 than the others, and it suffered from the short campaign length. It was the 1st one I played though, so the broader story didn't materialize yet.

I could go on much longer, but I'll cut things short here. The 7.5 - 8.0 score is more accurate than the 4.5 Gamspot gave. I really want to like this better than Re5, but RE 5 at least had a coherent, focuses story, and it still retained the upgrades system of RE4 (I hated the upgrade system of RE 6). However, I really liked the atmosphere and the idea of multiple, converging campaigns. Just wish they were more focused and longer.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks, Spangler. So it's a fun ride, just not the epic game it could have been...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm

ajh (MOH), I hope it's longer than 6 hours. I mean. If it's how short the game is, I'll wait until it's $15, 6 months from now.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Sarcastic wrote:ajh (MOH), I hope it's longer than 6 hours. I mean. If it's how short the game is, I'll wait until it's $15, 6 months from now.

I would say its between 5-6 hours. I got stuck on the one driving mission so that added to my gameplay time. As a overall single player game I would give it a 6.5 out of 10. If I based my review on the story with just the FPS missions I would give it a solid 8.0 out of 10. I really didint mess with the Multi-player too much since I am more of a Halo/COD fan and have never been a fan of EA's on-line play.

I would say its worth a two-night rental from the Redbox if they are even going to carry it. (Its a two-disc game on the 360, one disc for SP and one for MP)

I was thinking about trading it in since it is worth $42.00 at Best Buy right now but i just might end up keeping it.
Last edited by ajh2298 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 pm

5-6 is way short. I'm sure I'll play it at some point, but with all the other games I have, there is no reason to rush out and get it. It's on the $15 list then.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

ajh, if it's a short but spectacular ride, then I'd say keep it. but if it's no better than your other favorite shooters, it's probably not worth it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:25 pm

People ******** on facebook that some gamestops are closing due to the storm in the northeast.... so they whine they can't get their games at midnight.

People are retarded. You can wait a few more hours or even a day or so for your game.. worry about more important things.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Thanks, Spangler. So it's a fun ride, just not the epic game it could have been...

Exactly.

To give an example of the short campaigns hindering the game. I was excited for Jake's section because there was a Nemesis like boss called Ustanak. Always loved those relentless bosses is RE. I felt Ustanak was the easiest boss in the game. Didn't have enough time to build him up, and anytime he appeared, it was signaled by a cutscene. Loved Nemesis because he would appear in the middle of gameplay when you least expected it.

The stupid snow mobile and motorcycle chase could have been switched for Ustanak encounters. Instead they just waste time.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Mark of the Ninja. Very fun stealth platformer.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

60% done with Lego Star Wars III. It is actually getting better and moving up my list above Lego Indiana Jones Part II.

Having numerous other characters unlocked, it makes the game a ton more fun.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:53 pm

ok, i thought the early levels of Mirror's Edge were hard when it was just jumping from building to building. now i'm on the later levels where it's jumping from building to building while people shoot at you with sniper rifles.

i still think this is a pretty good game, and should be more well known than it is.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Anyone ever play Tenchu Stealth Assasin? That game was sweet. The snow level was the best.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Wiiissue: I lose connectivity with the Wiimote randomly with 2 of my 3 Wiimotes, when the nunchuck is plugged in. Does this happen to anyone else?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Wiiissue: I lose connectivity with the Wiimote randomly with 2 of my 3 Wiimotes, when the nunchuck is plugged in. Does this happen to anyone else?

Have you checked your batteries? If they aren't the issue, then you probably have issues with the remote.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 pm

assassins creed3?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:29 pm

all of my xbox controllers wont work if they arent plugged in. this is obvsly because of something ive done, but why?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR