Cutting Cable, Has anyone done this?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Cutting Cable, Has anyone done this?

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Working on developing a media & content server that uses cablecard & a Windows Media machine. Goal is that the FIOS programming is not expensive when you have a 'triple play' ($95 for Phone & Internet vs $110 for the lowest Digital tier). What is killing me is the DVR & Multiroom costs ($20/mo for Whole House DVR + $16/mo for one extra box in our BR). What I will end up with is one cablecard that I can placeshift around the house with a Windows box & an antenna.

Cost for equipment will be ~$350 (I have an old Dell with 2.1gHz processor & 4gb ram in 2 DIMMs) for the tuner and new 2TB HDD, plus some freebie items from a buddy who attempted an gave up. Interestingly, by the time i am ready to renew and get a lower price, I will only be recovering costs at that time, but the point is that I want to OWN the hardware, begin recording HD OTA via the antenna, and figure out a better, more expandable platform that can simply serve an option in another room.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby scb147 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 am

mac5155 wrote:Question for DirecTV subscribers - since the NHL is the only real reason I have DirecTV, can I downgrade my package from the Choice Ultimate to the Entertainment level and save $20 a month, then switch back? Or does it affect my contract terms/length?

I believe you can do that without affecting the contract length or terms. I'd call them to confirm though.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 am

I really dont want to call because I dont want to go through their BS of trying to get me to keep my other package.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 pm

a video of my dvr/movie library
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR