CMAs

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: CMAs

Postby canaan on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 am

columbia wrote:Translation:

canaan wrote:johnnycashmiddlefinger.jpg


I like country music, but it's not clear that Nashville is interested in producing it these days.
Maybe they haven't been for > than 30 years?

Can I pin the blame on billy ray cyrus and John Michael Montgomery?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,003
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: CMAs

Postby columbia on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 am

That's the right ballpark.

To be fair, the top 40 rock and roll and hiphop industry is similarly disinterred in quality.
IMHO, there is still a lot of great music out there, it's just not to be found at the various music awards ceremonies.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,509
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: CMAs

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 am

canaan wrote:
columbia wrote:Translation:

canaan wrote:johnnycashmiddlefinger.jpg


I like country music, but it's not clear that Nashville is interested in producing it these days.
Maybe they haven't been for > than 30 years?

Can I pin the blame on billy ray cyrus and John Michael Montgomery?



I hate to say it because I like(d) him, but Garth Brooks was the cause.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,115
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: CMAs

Postby mac5155 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 am

Rascal Flatts is the only concert I've ever walked out of. Dude came out with glittery pants on and we all said F this. Watched darius Rucker and left after 2 RF songs. Back to the parking lot to drink cheaper beer.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,166
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: CMAs

Postby mac5155 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:01 am

canaan wrote:Most contemporary country acts are generic pop fiascos. Rascal Flatts is pretty sissified pop acting as country. The kid that performed at the CMAs that played the piano in the middle of the crowd is in that same category.

The country scene nowadays is pretty lame. I'm not even looking for Alabama-type country, I'd settle for joe diffie. This pretty boy pseudo-country stuff is tiresome.

I think that's why most people like Eric church. He really emulates the old style country with a new twist.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,166
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: CMAs

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:07 pm

I love country music concerts more than anything. And I saw a Rascall Flatts concert once that was just horrible. It was at their height of decent-ness -- Fast Cars and Freedom and Mayberry. But the lead singer took a 45 minute break in the middle of the show and let his guitarists sing mediocre rock songs. Just crap.

I love the CMAs. My take on the awards:

Blake Shelton is getting too blatant of a push from industry. It was clear when he beat Paisley for MVOTY three years ago without having much on his albums. I love Blake. A lot. But it really undermines the award when the Association pushes people through. I thought Blake could have taken the MVOTY last year, but he certainly didn't deserve it this year (how many singles did he have? God Gave Me You?). I would have gone Aldean, Church, or Bryan there.

Entertainer of the year to him was just crap too. That award embodies touring and Blake even admitted he hadn't toured. I give him credit for three very humble acceptances speeches, though. I would have gone Aldean, easily, for EOTY. Guy had a legit and very extensive tour. If not him, then go Taylor. She can sell out a show in seconds.

Miranda for Female Vocalist is great. Miranda is great. In an era where country is turning pop, she's the one lead act whose music is still anchored in country. Funny how people criticize Taylor for poppyness (fair criticism), but Carrie (with a better voice) plays pure pop music too. That being said, I like contemporary country music even if it is poppy.

Kudos to Church with Chief. He's my favorite artist, and he really deserved that award.

Finally, who the F said they didn't like ZBB, let alone, that they liked Rascal Flatts more? That's insanity. See ZBB live once, you won't look at another live performance the same again.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,855
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: CMAs

Postby canaan on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I'll admit to not listening to country music for a couple of years, but I still listen to Tracy Lawrence, Garth, Randy Travis, and George Strait from time to time. I caught a decent bit of the awards show.

This might catch some flack, but Tim McGraw pre-faith hill was cool. Anything after that not a moment too soon album is kinda fruity.

And what the hell was the little big town song? Dear god, that was bad
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,003
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: CMAs

Postby pittsports87 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Carrie Underwoo
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miranda lambert
    pittsports87
    NHL Healthy Scratch
    NHL Healthy Scratch
     
    Posts: 11,327
    Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
    Location: College

    Re: CMAs

    Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:50 pm

    mac5155 wrote:
    canaan wrote:Most contemporary country acts are generic pop fiascos. Rascal Flatts is pretty sissified pop acting as country. The kid that performed at the CMAs that played the piano in the middle of the crowd is in that same category.

    The country scene nowadays is pretty lame. I'm not even looking for Alabama-type country, I'd settle for joe diffie. This pretty boy pseudo-country stuff is tiresome.

    I think that's why most people like Eric church. He really emulates the old style country with a new twist.


    canaan is right and it's actually what Blake Shelton said on The Voice a few weeks back. That Country needs to go back to its roots because it's gotten way too poppy these days.

    I have a friend who's all into country and the kind of stuff she listens to is, I think, more pop or even rock than country, which is pretty freaky. I'm not a big country fan (bluegrass, yes please), but if I do listen to something country, I like the older stuff a whole lot better. It's just more genuine and more distinctive as a music form.
    Sarcastic
    NHL Fourth Liner
    NHL Fourth Liner
     
    Posts: 15,286
    Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

    Re: CMAs

    Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:14 pm

    canaan wrote:I'll admit to not listening to country music for a couple of years, but I still listen to Tracy Lawrence, Garth, Randy Travis, and George Strait from time to time. I caught a decent bit of the awards show.

    This might catch some flack, but Tim McGraw pre-faith hill was cool. Anything after that not a moment too soon album is kinda fruity.

    And what the hell was the little big town song? Dear god, that was bad

    I agree whole heartedly that TIm fell apart. His first greatest hits album and earlier was great, but after that, it's very W-T-F?
    TheHammer24
    NHL Healthy Scratch
    NHL Healthy Scratch
     
    Posts: 13,855
    Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

    Re: CMAs

    Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:15 pm

    pittsports87 wrote:Carrie Underwoo
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miranda lambert

      I respectfully disagree. Talent wise, Carrie is pretty unmatched in music, not just country music. But Miranda has a distinct country sound that really no woman has ever had in country music. She writes her stuff, and loves the genre. Huge fan of hers. I like Carrie too, to be sure.
      TheHammer24
      NHL Healthy Scratch
      NHL Healthy Scratch
       
      Posts: 13,855
      Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

      Re: CMAs

      Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:25 pm

      Sarcastic wrote:
      mac5155 wrote:
      canaan wrote:Most contemporary country acts are generic pop fiascos. Rascal Flatts is pretty sissified pop acting as country. The kid that performed at the CMAs that played the piano in the middle of the crowd is in that same category.

      The country scene nowadays is pretty lame. I'm not even looking for Alabama-type country, I'd settle for joe diffie. This pretty boy pseudo-country stuff is tiresome.

      I think that's why most people like Eric church. He really emulates the old style country with a new twist.


      canaan is right and it's actually what Blake Shelton said on The Voice a few weeks back. That Country needs to go back to its roots because it's gotten way too poppy these days.

      I have a friend who's all into country and the kind of stuff she listens to is, I think, more pop or even rock than country, which is pretty freaky. I'm not a big country fan (bluegrass, yes please), but if I do listen to something country, I like the older stuff a whole lot better. It's just more genuine and more distinctive as a music form.

      I have no problem with country drifting from traditional roots. All country has done it in each generation. The 70s sound way different than the 80s. The 80s then showcased more southern rock. The 90s featured Alan Jackson, George Strait, and the "traditional" country you're citing, even though it would be outrageously pop if heard in the 70s. The 2000s are closer to "pop" than ever, and I really don't have a problem with that. I like Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, the newer Brad Paisely (but I loved the older one), and all of these guys have a more pop sound than a country sound.

      I think Eric's outrage is not in country music sound. Eric admits he's a rock artist with a little country flavor. His disdain is the extent to which the industry pushes people to stardom instead of having artists build their own stardom. Church toured 300 days a year in 100 person bars for years. I started following him right when his first CD came out when I stumbled into a 300 person show in Chicago. The crowd's energy blew away any big name artist's arena show -- everyone knew every word. So I was hooked. And I have seen him 6ish times, traveled to do so, connect with the others at each show. Only now has he started to receive recognition. His sound isn't "traditional," but his ascension to the top is.

      That's why he hates The Voice and American Idol. Industry literally picks a winner and there a star. Carrie Underwood has worlds of talent, but he doesn't like how she got to the top. When Julianne Hough beat Luke Bryan (Church's friend) for new artist of the year, Eric said "you become a star by touring, not by dancing," which was the original controversy regarding these comments.

      And that's what I hate about the CMAs, as much as I love them. Industry votes and industry picks winners to push them, not to recognize them. That's why The Voice star is entertainer of the year even though he didn't put out an album and he didn't tour. What a joke.

      Can you believe Toby Keith has only one CMA? (Two after Thursday)? He commented in an interview that he hates the CMAs because they look for the crossover hits and push them.

      I'm not undermining every CMA winner, not at all. I'm a big supporter of the Paisley MVOTYs, the Chesney EOTY, I have never taken issue with the FMOTY winner over the years. But every now and then there is a choice that just stinks of unmeritocratity. As we've noted, ZBB has been losing to crap pop cross over choices for several years in a row now, despite putting out the most refreshing sound on recent country radio.
      TheHammer24
      NHL Healthy Scratch
      NHL Healthy Scratch
       
      Posts: 13,855
      Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

      Re: CMAs

      Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 pm

      TheHammer24 wrote:His disdain is the extent to which the industry pushes people to stardom instead of having artists build their own stardom.


      That's obviously another problem and it's true of all genres, to be perfectly honest. I don't get big record companies. Never could. There is great music out there. Terrific. But many people have no clue because it just isn't promoted.
      Sarcastic
      NHL Fourth Liner
      NHL Fourth Liner
       
      Posts: 15,286
      Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

      Re: CMAs

      Postby KG on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm

      mac5155 wrote:Rascal Flatts is the only concert I've ever walked out of. Dude came out with glittery pants on and we all said F this. Watched darius Rucker and left after 2 RF songs. Back to the parking lot to drink cheaper beer.


      I have seen Rascal Flatts a few times in concert because my wife loves them....I get my music fix myself...

      Going to see Megadeth next week (w/out the wife) :fist:
      KG
      NHL Healthy Scratch
      NHL Healthy Scratch
       
      Posts: 11,825
      Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
      Location: NY

      Re: CMAs

      Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:23 pm

      KG wrote:
      mac5155 wrote:Rascal Flatts is the only concert I've ever walked out of. Dude came out with glittery pants on and we all said F this. Watched darius Rucker and left after 2 RF songs. Back to the parking lot to drink cheaper beer.


      I have seen Rascal Flatts a few times in concert because my wife loves them....I get my music fix myself...

      Going to see Megadeth next week (w/out the wife) :fist:


      Take the wife, man. Teach her to shake her hair really fast.
      Sarcastic
      NHL Fourth Liner
      NHL Fourth Liner
       
      Posts: 15,286
      Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

      Re: CMAs

      Postby mac5155 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:04 pm

      canaan wrote:I'll admit to not listening to country music for a couple of years, but I still listen to Tracy Lawrence, Garth, Randy Travis, and George Strait from time to time. I caught a decent bit of the awards show.

      This might catch some flack, but Tim McGraw pre-faith hill was cool. Anything after that not a moment too soon album is kinda fruity.

      And what the hell was the little big town song? Dear god, that was bad


      TRUCK YEAH!
      mac5155
      NHL Third Liner
      NHL Third Liner
       
      Posts: 46,166
      Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
      Location: governor of Fayettenam

      Re: CMAs

      Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 am

      Had no idea Canaan was into the earlier 90s country...awesome.

      I enjoy listening to older Brooks and Dunn (was not a fan of their 2000s stuff by and large, Dwight Yoakam, Chris Ledoux, and George Strait. Huge fan of Strait, Want to see him in concert before he hangs em up
      shafnutz05
      NHL Third Liner
      NHL Third Liner
       
      Posts: 53,573
      Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
      Location: Amish Country

      Re: CMAs

      Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 am

      I can believe Keith only has 2. For a good while there he wrote songs specifically to pander to bleeding heart Americans with racist undertones to make a ton of money. People talk about what's wrong with country, the popiness I agree with and the pandering to the lowest common denominator is a close second.
      Pavel Bure
      NHL Healthy Scratch
      NHL Healthy Scratch
       
      Posts: 12,391
      Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
      Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

      Previous

      Return to NHR

      Who is online

      Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

      e-mail