Are You Ready for Some Football? Steelers/Giants

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football? Steelers/Giants

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Nantz and Simms are unbearable. That's my number one thought for this game.

When they mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast that the game was also in spanish, i decided to try that out.

My DVR program has a language track selection option so I picked spanish. there were no commentators or announcers, just crowd noise. it was a really cool way to watch the game.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:59 am

I think it's safe to be resigned to the fact that Polamalu is going to be a non factor this season. The defense is coming together without him, and as long as the linebackers stay healthy the defense should be fine.

IMO, the vulnerability for this team is at LB and Oline. There's just no depth there.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think it's safe to be resigned to the fact that Polamalu is going to be a non factor this season. The defense is coming together without him, and as long as the linebackers stay healthy the defense should be fine.

IMO, the vulnerability for this team is at LB and Oline. There's just no depth there.

Getting Decastro back soon should be huge, and it seems Gilbert is close to ready also. I think that will help the O line.

Harrison has also been a non factor all year.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Harrison sets the edge as well as anyone in the league. it's helped the run defense for sure. He can't get low like he used to to run the passer, but he's still a threat there, besides everyone would just hold him anyway with no flag.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:04 pm

i wouldnt say that harrison has been a non-factor as the defensive improvements have coincided with his return
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:04 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Harrison sets the edge as well as anyone in the league. it's helped the run defense for sure. He can't get low like he used to to run the passer, but he's still a threat there, besides everyone would just hold him anyway with no flag.

Yeah I guess non factor is a bit much, he hasnt made the huge plays but is steady. I'm sure if he wasn't in though the defense wouldn't be as good.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I really thought Cruz and Nicks would eat the Steelers alive. Good game all around even with the ref gaffs and that horrid fake FG.

Giants' offense was just terrible. I have no ability to gauge the ratio of Giant's playing poorly:Steelers playing well. Plus I think you have to take into account that the Giants have lost at home to the Eagles and Cowboys, two bad teams.

Basically, I think the Steelers need to win that first Ravens game before i build any confidence about a potential playoff run.

There were a handful of replay showing blanket coverage that led to interceptions or sacks. Also, the 180 yards show that, even if they played poorly, we still dominated. Imagine if we had won by 20 or so, like we should have.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i wouldnt say that harrison has been a non-factor as the defensive improvements have coincided with his return

maybe. i just think it's the same thing as last year where these guys use the first quarter of the season to get into shape - especially our linebackers
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:19 pm

and especially Harrison who missed all of camp basically. So maybe it's unfair to say hes been a non factor.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 pm

About Ben's fumble, I hear people saying today (incl Savran and co) that they understand the call, but does the call not set the precedent then that any ball that is slipping out of a QB's hand is then a fumble? Maybe that's the letter of the law, but it is never interpreted that way for good reason. That it slips due to influence from a defensive player or for any other reason can't possibly play into it, so if it's raining and the ball slips out of a QB's grasp and lands awkwardly in front of the secondary, it's a fumble? I don't think so.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm

What about every Tim Tebow pass where he shotputs it out there like a damn clown? Are all of those incompletions actually fumbles? It never looks like he grips the ball correctly or well...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah, the ruling was incredible, and Cowher looked like a buffoon for suggesting that it was correct. In accordance with Mikey and Gary above, accepting the officials' explanation meant that if the RB would have caught the ball as it came forward, it would have been a fumble recovery instead of a completion -- ludicrous. What if the RB then threw the ball (because he was behind the line and there wasn't a forward pass yet)? According to the officials, that would have been legal.

Just a terrible, terrible, terrible call.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Nantz and Simms are unbearable. That's my number one thought for this game.

When they mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast that the game was also in spanish, i decided to try that out.

My DVR program has a language track selection option so I picked spanish. there were no commentators or announcers, just crowd noise. it was a really cool way to watch the game.

How the hell is that broadcasting the game in Spanish? Turning off the announcers to save the Spanish speaking community from having their ears violated by the dreadful English language quips of the booth buffons is a far cry from broadcasting the game in Spanish.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm

I've made that comment before in an NHL thread somewhere that there are some days where I'd rather spend the duration of the game without commentators.

No bias in either direction, no useless stats that I probably won't care about (i.e. Ben is 2/9 on 3rd down conversions vs the NFC East in afternoon games in 2012), and although Nantz/Simms are less guilty than most teams, no bad jokes.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

reading this yesterday and seeing the complaining about the headshot, i figured it was just team bias ref anger. seeing the actual hit today along with the call on the field...lol
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Kaizer wrote:reading this yesterday and seeing the complaining about the headshot, i figured it was just team bias ref anger. seeing the actual hit today along with the call on the field...lol

Youre gonna be hard pressed to find a stiller fan defend ryan clark.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

i used to loathe ryan clark but over the last 1.5 years i have come to appreciate him as a player
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jf on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:04 pm

I thought that the elbow the Giant's player threw after Rainey was down was the most flagrant foul the officials missed the whole game.
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:14 pm

It's amazing how much better Mike Adams is at making holes for the run but is getting killed by elite ends ever single game in pass protection.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:15 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Kaizer wrote:reading this yesterday and seeing the complaining about the headshot, i figured it was just team bias ref anger. seeing the actual hit today along with the call on the field...lol

Youre gonna be hard pressed to find a stiller fan defend ryan clark.

Why? It was a bad call, and Clark is a great DB.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm

When it comes to headshots. Defending him yesterday is different.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm

i still thought the hit was excessively late, and don't mind that it was penalized

:slug:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:26 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Yeah, the ruling was incredible, and Cowher looked like a buffoon for suggesting that it was correct. In accordance with Mikey and Gary above, accepting the officials' explanation meant that if the RB would have caught the ball as it came forward, it would have been a fumble recovery instead of a completion -- ludicrous. What if the RB then threw the ball (because he was behind the line and there wasn't a forward pass yet)? According to the officials, that would have been legal.

Just a terrible, terrible, terrible call.

I think cowher's bitter that the Rooney's wouldn't give him mega bucks,that Tomlin's a better coach and that Ben's a better QB with Cowher gone. He was okay but was a consistent playoff failure as a coach.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

shmenguin wrote:i still thought the hit was excessively late, and don't mind that it was penalized

The hit was a split second after Ike tipped the ball. DBs can't defy physics.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:31 pm

shmenguin wrote:i still thought the hit was excessively late, and don't mind that it was penalized

The tipped ball hadn't even hit the ground yet.

You don't deserve power.

blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR