Paul Thompson

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Paul Thompson

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Had a natural hat trick today...

Haven't had the opportunity to watch much WBS and have only seen this guy very minimally. Was listening to NHL Home Ice the other day and WBS broadcaster was interviewed - they asked him who to watch out for to surprise and make it to the show, and his answer was Paul Thompson.

He currently has 6 goals and 8 points in 9 games.

Anyone have insight on this kid's game?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Paul Thompson

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah, he's got my caught eye also this year unexpectedly. He's improved a lot in his understanding of the speed of the game and as a result, he's getting rewarded on the scoresheet. Also, increased ice time because of the lack of scoring punch WBS has. He has some good hands, a good shot, he goes to the front of the net and gets tips, sets up a screen, etc. Not an amazing offensive package, but very capable...I'm not sure I see a lot of vision, he's not a noteworthy passer in my estimation. Also, his skating could use some work. It's not poor, but it's in that average area...he can't make real tight turns, quick stops, etc. to ward off his checks...he also doesn't really have that extra gear to burn anyone meaningful...if I had to guess, I'd say he probably didn't start skating until he was a little bit older, but that's just a guess...but he'll be just fine at the AHL level with the package he's got, but the NHL level would be a work in progress...I know he went the distance at UNH, then played in WBS last year, so he's at least 23 already maybe gaining on 24 quickly, so time is becoming an issue, but he's in line to maybe get a look as a call-up with a rash of injuries or whatever and we'll see what happens...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:59 pm

interesting analysis mikey287 especially the speed part as the highlights I saw he looked pretty quick. Not blazing but certainly not a liability for him. Scoring touch is so important so it will be interesting to see if the Pens give him a look.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I mean, I'm no pro...trying to be, but ultimately am not...so it's open to discussion certainly...but I see his skating as drawback...he might even be above average at the AHL level, but I know the guys that are chasing him down and I know they aren't fast...very average to me, it can be made a little quicker, but it doesn't look like it's a natural thing for him (thus my thought that he didn't have skates on 3 years old like many others) and I don't think powerskating courses could make meaningful corrections in his stride...I'm not totally sure, I've been meaning to really get a tutorial from a renowned powerskating teacher so I know what kind of magic they can work, I'll put it on my to do list...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NPR