Did Pitt Football Players Commit a Hate Crime?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Did Pitt Football Players Commit a Hate Crime?

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 pm

I recall a case where three men played the "Knock Out Game." They punched a fifty-year-old man in the face once. It killed him.

Three teenagers accused of killing a 62-year-old father-of-12 in West Rogers Park were playing a game called “Pick ‘em out and knock ‘em down” when they videotaped themselves punching him in the face, prosecutors say.

Malik Jones, 16, Nicholas Ayala, 17, and Anthony Malcolm, 18, were caught after the video of Jones fatally punching Delfino Mora was posted on Jones’ Facebook page, according to authorities.

The three were playing a “game where the offender picks an innocent victim and knocks him out by striking him and likely robbing him as well,” Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Terry Clancy told Judge Israel Desierto in court Monday.

Similar attacks — some resulting in death — have previously been reported in Missouri, New Jersey and Decatur. The game also goes by the name “Knockout King,” and experts say it is a grab for attention.

Delfina Mora was salvaging cans to make a few dollars to support himself and his family. Now … close your eyes and imagine the media frenzy, the vigils, the protests, the calls to action, the president’s words …
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 pm

I hope they attempt to play that game with someone one day and that someone whips out an ASP baton and does work so all 3 of them can never play football again
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mac5155 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Godric wrote:I hope they attempt to play that game with someone one day and that someone whips out an ASP baton and does work so all 3 of them can never play football again

im pretty sure unless the person is a ninja they will never have time to react. cowards.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:08 pm

That website honestly freaks me out. Its ads include a book called "Tortured Christ" and a banner asking "Which Guns Are Best for Conceal Carry."
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:12 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:That website honestly freaks me out. Its ads include a book called "Tortured Christ" and a banner asking "Which Guns Are Best for Conceal Carry."

pretty sure its picking up ad trackers from LGP because mine were for the best fountain pen.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:13 pm

So can white people play this game too with the roles reversed...nah, that would be wrong.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:24 pm

the wicked child wrote:If they actually committed a hate crime, I am all for kicking them to the curb, but I am somewhat suspicious of this particular claim.

This.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:27 pm

This is what I get:

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
the wicked child wrote:If they actually committed a hate crime, I am all for kicking them to the curb, but I am somewhat suspicious of this particular claim.

This.

Yea, I refuse to convict these guys until either more information comes out or proof that they are actually involved.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

blackjack68 wrote:So can white people play this game too with the roles reversed...nah, that would be wrong.

I'm not sure why, but this attitude bothers me. I have little doubt that blacks can commit crimes, but I read the sentiment here as either "the world is stacked against me" or "we give black's too much much deference." Neither is true. And as evidence we don't live in a post-racial world, I found the current twitter posts regarding Obama illuminating.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

What is a hate crime?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Kraftster wrote:What is a hate crime?

The serving size of lunch sandwiches at Panera is a good example. They obviously hate fat people :pop:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:

The serving size of lunch sandwiches at Panera is a good example. They obviously hate fat people :pop:

You really think the portions at Panera are small? It's definitely a 1000+ calorie meal....you might have a problem.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Id rather go to mcdonalds for my 1,000 calorie plus meal.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:So can white people play this game too with the roles reversed...nah, that would be wrong.

I'm not sure why, but this attitude bothers me. I have little doubt that blacks can commit crimes, but I read the sentiment here as either "the world is stacked against me" or "we give black's too much much deference." Neither is true. And as evidence we don't live in a post-racial world, I found the current twitter posts regarding Obama illuminating.

I don't understand why this needs to be put in that context. Racism combatting racism combatting racism? three wrongs don't make a right.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

You really think the portions at Panera are small? It's definitely a 1000+ calorie meal....you might have a problem.

Portion size does not equate to number of calories to me. I can see being disappointed by the money that one must spend at Panera to fill oneself up (on actual amount of food not calories).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

It should be read as, if a group of three, or more as in the case of the teacher video, white people were to walk up to an unsuspecting African American and punched them directly ib the face causing them to be knocked out and sustain severe injuries, the media and quite often the law would scream Hate Crime! Racism! But seemingly when the roles are as they are in this case, it's Oh those wacky kids. Here's your slap on the wrist. Should be one or the other, not both.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Portion size does not equate to number of calories to me. I can see being disappointed by the money that one must spend at Panera to fill oneself up (on actual amount of food not calories).

That is what I am saying. If you get the pick 2 with a chicken salad sandwich, that sandwhich is gone in 2 bites. Doesnt seem worth it for $8 for 2 bites of a sandwich and a cup of soup.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 pm

This what your looking for?

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

That is what I am saying. If you get the pick 2 with a chicken salad sandwich, that sandwhich is gone in 2 bites. Doesnt seem worth it for $8 for 2 bites of a sandwich and a cup of soup.

I will agree that when you pick 2 and do a half a deli sandwhich it is small. But the 1/2 salad is a large portion.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:43 pm

More along the lines of this...

cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Agreed about the salad, Troy. The half italian sandwich is actually pretty meaty too. Just most of their other stuff, they are very skimpy with what they put on it.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Any thread on LGP can turn into a food discussion.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:47 pm

columbia wrote:Any thread on LGP can turn into a food discussion.

Panera talk probably belongs in a racism thread.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Sketchy source. But it wouldn't surprise me if true. It is Football, which is a sport filled with thugs and gangsters and plebs. Not sure why any sane person follows it honestly.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR