Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 am

Kind of an aside, but wasn't it Russo who went on a homerific rant a few years ago about how dirty Sergei Gonchar was for hitting Cal Clutterbuck?

Can't blame him for being a downer, as he's covered two perennial loser franchises - the Panthers and Wild.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:13 am

To be honest if they keep showing QMJHL and D1 college hockey on TV I wouldnt care if the NHL never came back, especially if they added the other major junior leagues to the coverage. I love the Pens & all but enough is enough.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:To be honest if they keep showing QMJHL and D1 college hockey on TV I wouldnt care if the NHL never came back, especially if they added the other major junior leagues to the coverage. I love the Pens & all but enough is enough.

until they realize they aren't going pro, so the leagues turn to crap.
Last edited by ulf on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:48 pm

i just want hockey, dang it. between the 04 lockout, the KC debacle, and this...geez. We're due for like 30 straight years of watching hockey without worrying if there's going to be any.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Alex Ovechkin ‏@ovi8
Hahaha Whata clowns!!!....Don tell it all. Bla blah ...make a deal instead of talk about Don!

:thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Teddy isn't gonna be happy
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:56 pm

penny lane wrote:
Alex Ovechkin ‏@ovi8
Hahaha Whata clowns!!!....Don tell it all. Bla blah ...make a deal instead of talk about Don!

Looks like the Great 8 has a good grasp of the situation.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHLPA says "A small PA/League informal lunch meeting is taking place". Both sides will determine out of that the next step

So I guess they are gonna fight about where to eat so who knows how long that'll take
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:03 pm

offsides wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Alex Ovechkin ‏@ovi8

Looks like the Great 8 has a good grasp of the situation.

He should keep his mouth shut, and use the free time to count of all that tax free money he is earning this year playing in that no-hit girls league.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:05 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHLPA says "A small PA/League informal lunch meeting is taking place". Both sides will determine out of that the next step

So I guess they are gonna fight about where to eat so who knows how long that'll take

Wonder who is picking up the tab for lunch? Maybe they can agree on that before the day is over.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dan H on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Kind of an aside, but wasn't it Russo who went on a homerific rant a few years ago about how dirty Sergei Gonchar was for hitting Cal Clutterbuck?

Can't blame him for being a downer, as he's covered two perennial loser franchises - the Panthers and Wild.

Although I wouldn't characterize Gonchar as a dirty player, and I would characterize Clutterbuck as a dirty player, that was a terrible hit. Gonchar deliberately threw a flying elbow to the head, and was really lucky not to be suspended.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm

from today's ESPN College GameDay
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm so freaking sick of this. GET A DEAL AND DROP THE PUCK!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:16 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I'm so freaking sick of this. GET A DEAL AND DROP THE PUCK!

At this point, they might as well just take their time and get a deal that will hopefully prevent this from recurring in 6 years. We've already lost at least 2 months of hockey, just taking a deal for the sake of it at this point would almost certainly ensure this will happen again in a few years.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:40 pm

the wicked child wrote:

At this point, they might as well just take their time and get a deal that will hopefully prevent this from recurring in 6 years. We've already lost at least 2 months of hockey, just taking a deal for the sake of it at this point would almost certainly ensure this will happen again in a few years.

Maybe I'm just being negative but i don't think it matters what happens this time around. The next time the CBA expires I expect the same dog and pony show.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:15 pm

They could work out a deal that they'd all be delighted with and there'd still be a lockout once the CBA expires.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Gaucho wrote:They could work out a deal that they'd all be delighted with and there'd still be a lockout once the CBA expires.

I agree with what you and Bioshock say. The owners can get a 50-50 deal with all contracts honored and come 5-6 years when the CBA expires they would be a daggers end again. I don't even think it's just because the NHL needs fixed again but also the fact that both sides just don't know how to compromise and work together. Both sides don't want to concede anything and I think with some owners they just want to break the union because they not only dislike the NHLPA but the mere existing of the union as well.

I mean when has the last time both sides have been able to achieve labor piece? Certainly more than 20 years ago because you had the short strike of 1992 that ousted President John Ziegler from office and the lockouts of 94-95, 04-05 and now 2012.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby shmenguin on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:34 pm

the wicked child wrote:

Yeah, it's not my place to say that 50/50 is just a somewhat arbitrary guess on what will get the revenue allotted correctly...but it is possible that you'll still have most of the league's teams losing money and the owners asking for more money at the next CBA
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Perhaps another lockout is inevitable... but I still don't see any reason to rush a deal now...

Seems like I'm not missing hockey as much as I expected right now though... just disgusted with everyone involved.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 pm

the wicked child wrote:Perhaps another lockout is inevitable... but I still don't see any reason to rush a deal now...

Seems like I'm not missing hockey as much as I expected right now though... just disgusted with everyone involved.

The junior games the NHL Network shows and listening to the baby Pens has satisfied my hockey jonesing for now. And the roadtrip to Erie and one next week to Hershey help as well.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsports87 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:37 am

The only way they prevent a lockout in the near future is if they sign a 50 year CBA.

My money is they get the deal done within a month and having games start on December 22. Unfortunately the world will end the day before and we will never have hockey again.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 am

They are now discussing how to deal with a shortened season. How about you worry about that later, you clowns.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:37 am

NHL.com now runs an article praising the Mighty Ducks film. Aren't we suffering enough already?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 am

Gaucho wrote:They are now discussing how to deal with a shortened season. How about you worry about that later, you clowns.

Actually a shorten season will play heavily into the discussion esp with this make it whole provision they have been discussing, even in a shorten season there are still revenue, they need to decided if they changes they are putting in place would start day 1 of the new CBA or would be pushed til next year. So its not a small trivial matter, the league took in 3.3 billion last year, even if we chop of say a 1/3 of the season that still over 2 billion dollars.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 am

No, it's not a trivial matter, but as long as we don't know if there is a season at all it seems redundant to have a discussion about how to deal with a shortened season.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins