PSU Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby Staggy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Apparently you can't ever complain about an atrocious call because your team should have just played better anyways. Even if said call directly resulted in a 9 point swing :roll:
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,961
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Pitt87 wrote:Funny how you say 'no one is saying that' then you go ahead and say it... :roll:


I was pointing out (as I did in my post) that PSU also let Nebraska back in the game in the third. That being said, they hung in there and we're flat out robbed of the go ahead TD late in the fourth quarter. That was a huge reason why they lost the game.

Your eye-rolling and sarcasm is a little unnecessary...did someone pee in your Cheerios today?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,321
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:06 pm

That was reeeeeallly close, and I guess it depends on your fandom whether it was "clearly" in or not. To me, it looked like there wasn't enough of the ball the broke the plain to give it indisputable evidence (I'm assuming the call on the field was no TD?)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby skullman80 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 pm

To be fair(and I hate PSU with a passion), it doesn't matter if there is "enough" of the ball if over the goal line, if ANY part is over the goal line it's a touchdown.

I know I'm arguing semantics here.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,454
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:17 pm

skullman80 wrote:To be fair(and I hate PSU with a passion), it doesn't matter if there is "enough" of the ball if over the goal line, if ANY part is over the goal line it's a touchdown.

I know I'm arguing semantics here.


Right, I meant it as "it's kinda hard to see". Especially because the guy's knee is right where the goal line would be. It's also hard to tell when the player lost possession of it (IMO).

I don't think they got it over, but that's just my opinion.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby count2infinity on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:19 pm

MRandall25 wrote:That was reeeeeallly close, and I guess it depends on your fandom whether it was "clearly" in or not. To me, it looked like there wasn't enough of the ball the broke the plain to give it indisputable evidence (I'm assuming the call on the field was no TD?)


On the PSU sub-reddit a nebraska fan was explaining that all those in the student section near him were fully expecting it to be called a TD. And yes, it was called a fumble.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,884
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 pm

count2infinity wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:That was reeeeeallly close, and I guess it depends on your fandom whether it was "clearly" in or not. To me, it looked like there wasn't enough of the ball the broke the plain to give it indisputable evidence (I'm assuming the call on the field was no TD?)


On the PSU sub-reddit a nebraska fan was explaining that all those in the student section near him were fully expecting it to be called a TD. And yes, it was called a fumble.


Like I said, I just didn't see enough to turn that over. Really defines "too close to call".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby malkinshair on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:That was reeeeeallly close, and I guess it depends on your fandom whether it was "clearly" in or not. To me, it looked like there wasn't enough of the ball the broke the plain to give it indisputable evidence (I'm assuming the call on the field was no TD?)


The very tip of the ball has to cross only the leading line of the endzone. The overhead shot (which showed conclusively that he had full control until the contact was made) is really the 'conclusive' evidence that should've overturned the call. You can see from the gif angle that the ball was clearly breaking the plane when the contact happened, so..........
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:That was reeeeeallly close, and I guess it depends on your fandom whether it was "clearly" in or not. To me, it looked like there wasn't enough of the ball the broke the plain to give it indisputable evidence (I'm assuming the call on the field was no TD?)


On the PSU sub-reddit a nebraska fan was explaining that all those in the student section near him were fully expecting it to be called a TD. And yes, it was called a fumble.


Like I said, I just didn't see enough to turn that over. Really defines "too close to call".


Also, I'd take Reddit with a grain of salt because he probably just wanted the good karma.

And malkinshair, key word there is "breaking" the plane, not "the ball had broken the plane".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I mean, both announcers were 100% convinced it would be overturned. I'm not saying announcers know all, but...yea
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,321
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:25 pm

And I'm not saying I know all, either. I'm just saying that, to me, it doesn't look like it got across/it wasn't clear enough to overturn the ruling on the field.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby malkinshair on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:That was reeeeeallly close, and I guess it depends on your fandom whether it was "clearly" in or not. To me, it looked like there wasn't enough of the ball the broke the plain to give it indisputable evidence (I'm assuming the call on the field was no TD?)


On the PSU sub-reddit a nebraska fan was explaining that all those in the student section near him were fully expecting it to be called a TD. And yes, it was called a fumble.


Like I said, I just didn't see enough to turn that over. Really defines "too close to call".


Also, I'd take Reddit with a grain of salt because he probably just wanted the good karma.

And malkinshair, key word there is "breaking" the plane, not "the ball had broken the plane".


I was using 'breaking' in the sense that it had already 'broken' the plane. To be more precise...the tail end of the football is 'breaking' the plane (in your sense) when the contact is made. It's already been a touchdown for the entire length of the ball at that point.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Funny how you say 'no one is saying that' then you go ahead and say it... :roll:


I was pointing out (as I did in my post) that PSU also let Nebraska back in the game in the third. That being said, they hung in there and we're flat out robbed of the go ahead TD late in the fourth quarter. That was a huge reason why they lost the game.

Your eye-rolling and sarcasm is a little unnecessary...did someone pee in your Cheerios today?


Sorry, didn't mean to offend. You have to admit that fans and players, if you happened to catch McGloin's post game comments, are being a bit dramatic. Its an incredibly close call that is very hard to overturn. A little further, it happened halfway through the fourth quarter and Penn State had 2 possessions after this one.

Give the other guys some credit; Nebraska came roaring back in all three phases after halftime and nothing PSU had could stop them.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,260
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:22 am

I was initially skeptical, but that looked like a TD.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,617
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 am

So McGloin is getting ripped in the media for his postgame comments. I hate to say I agree with him but I definitely see where he's coming from.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,835
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby relantel on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:15 pm

With that down the line shot, it's either clearly a TD, and thus reversed, or clearly a fumble, and thus confirmed. The point of contact that knocked the ball out is clear. I don't see how the replay official can tell ESPN they "thought" the ball was coming out - the "call stands" announcement doesn't fit with the video. If the replay official indeed thought that, it should have been "confirmed".
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,249
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 pm

The call stands because the replay official didn't have enough to overturn nor confirm it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 am

Not sure what more he needs...
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,835
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 am

Well, it's done and over now. No need to harp on it. It's clearly a touchdown, but the call didn't go PSU's way. Focus on Indiana and Whiskey.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,884
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 am

The call has nothing to do with whether the ball crossed the goal line. It was the opinion of the official, and mine to when seeing it the first time, that as the PSU player goes to extend the ball, he loses control. This happens around the 1 yard line or so I would say.

That's why the ball is so far forward in his hands. To me, it looked like in his thrust to move it forward, he lost it, and his hands were just following the ball at that point, going with the motion so to speak.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,737
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby canaan on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

not that it matters anything, but i couldnt disagree any more with your view of it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,986
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:The call has nothing to do with whether the ball crossed the goal line. It was the opinion of the official, and mine to when seeing it the first time, that as the PSU player goes to extend the ball, he loses control. This happens around the 1 yard line or so I would say.

That's why the ball is so far forward in his hands. To me, it looked like in his thrust to move it forward, he lost it, and his hands were just following the ball at that point, going with the motion so to speak.


Image
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,884
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm

count2infinity wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:The call has nothing to do with whether the ball crossed the goal line. It was the opinion of the official, and mine to when seeing it the first time, that as the PSU player goes to extend the ball, he loses control. This happens around the 1 yard line or so I would say.

That's why the ball is so far forward in his hands. To me, it looked like in his thrust to move it forward, he lost it, and his hands were just following the ball at that point, going with the motion so to speak.


Image


:lol:

I usually don't say things like this but your opinion about where he lost the ball is objectively false. Pretty obvious he had full control of the ball up until contact was made. Unless you are saying that he somehow threw the ball in front of himself while holding onto it in his hands and the defenders leg just happened to hit the ball while it was in mid-air or something.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -touchdown
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,325
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am

Let me put it this way.

the ball moved in his hands. He went from holding it at its widest point - to holding it at the tip as he extended it.

That means the ball moved in his hands - the officials saw this and simply said when you go to extend the football, and it moves from you holding the largest part to just holding the tip - we are assuming you do not have control of the football.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,737
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby bh on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 am

count2infinity wrote:Image
This is my new favorite gif! :thumb:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,508
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, Digitalgypsy66, Staggy and 4 guests


e-mail