The Men Who Built America

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:18 pm

legame wrote:As a historian, I subscribe more to the idea of history from below than the great man theory. In my opinion, millions of African Americans and poor European immigrants built America.

I'm glad they got done building America in their own countries before coming over here to do it.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby legame on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm going to need you to explain that one further...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:11 pm

This has been great so far. If you liek this one, check out "The Story of US" also. This was a History Channel-style chronical, maybe even by the same people.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:12 pm

I was hoping last night's episode would show something about Harvey Firestone's relationship with Henry Ford; with my grandfather being in the tire business, I always had an interest in their partnership.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby legame on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Pitt87 wrote:This has been great so far. If you liek this one, check out "The Story of US" also. This was a History Channel-style chronical, maybe even by the same people.

I used that series to wrap up my units when I taught. After we'd finish a time period, each episode would really help to visualize concepts and events for my students and they all dug it a lot.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 pm

legame wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:This has been great so far. If you liek this one, check out "The Story of US" also. This was a History Channel-style chronical, maybe even by the same people.

I used that series to wrap up my units when I taught. After we'd finish a time period, each episode would really help to visualize concepts and events for my students and they all dug it a lot.

I really want to get my hopes up for Mankind: The Story of All of Us. If its anything like the Story of US, it will be pretty great. I've been so disappointed in the History Channel over the last few years. I will watch stuff like this, the Story of US, and anything that might contain some tidbits of historical information I didn't previously know.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 am

legame wrote:

That's what I liked the best about it. It re-enacted actual events realistically, and set up really very well known events with perfect context. Brilliant.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Previous

Return to NHR