Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby legame on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 pm

In Townshend's mind, he is The Who. However, I really don't think he'd continue to tour unde the moniker without Daltrey. I think he'd sing the songs himself with his own band under his own name.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Meh, they went on touring as The Who when Keith Moon died.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't mean specifically as The Who, but I mean any popular band in general. I was using The Who as an example since they are now down to two original members.

Is there a breaking point with the band where they replace so many members that they're no longer the band that they started with?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Well, Mike Love still tours as the Beach Boys and I despise him for it. The other extreme would be Led Zep. I'm sure there are Metallica fans who'd argue that they haven't been the same after ______ died. Forgot his name, sorry. So I'd say it very much depends on the band in question. Which, I realize, is a very unsatisfactory answer, to say the least.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Gaucho wrote:Well, Mike Love still tours as the Beach Boys and I despise him for it. The other extreme would be Led Zep. I'm sure there are Metallica fans who'd argue that they haven't been the same after ______ died. Forgot his name, sorry. So I'd say it very much depends on the band in question. Which, I realize, is a very unsatisfactory answer, to say the least.

Cliff Burton.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm

I think it all depends on the dynamic of the band. With The Who, you could probably see Townshend tour as the only member simply because he wrote EVERYTHING. The Stones could tour with only Mick and Keith. U2 could probably tour with only Bono and The Edge. A band like The Police, on the other hand, could not. I think it also depends on whether successful solo careers followed the bands success.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:10 pm

AC/DC is the only band i can think of that plowed ahead with a different lead singer and actually got more successful. i think regardless of who the driving force behind the band is, once the singer goes, the band usually follows suit.

edit: yeah, yeah, yeah... genesis, and pink floyd... shut up
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Froggy wrote:AC/DC is the only band i can think of that plowed ahead with a different lead singer and actually got more successful. i think regardless of who the driving force behind the band is, once the singer goes, the band usually follows suit.

Alice in Chains (kind of a stretch, but...)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Froggy wrote:AC/DC is the only band i can think of that plowed ahead with a different lead singer and actually got more successful. i think regardless of who the driving force behind the band is, once the singer goes, the band usually follows suit.

I do agree that newer bands would have more trouble if the singer left. Older bands seem to get by a bit easier. See: Queen, Journey, INXS...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 pm

legame wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I do agree that newer bands would have more trouble if the singer left. Older bands seem to get by a bit easier. See: Queen, Journey, INXS...

Van Halen
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:24 pm

What would fall out boy do without that dude with mutton chops
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Well, Mike Love still tours as the Beach Boys and I despise him for it. The other extreme would be Led Zep. I'm sure there are Metallica fans who'd argue that they haven't been the same after ______ died. Forgot his name, sorry. So I'd say it very much depends on the band in question. Which, I realize, is a very unsatisfactory answer, to say the least.

Cliff Burton.

That's him, thanks! :thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:33 pm

I heard of this band for the first time today. This is older, but they have a newer album out now.

Very nice Swedish psych-pop.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:The who fans got a very nice day weather wise. Have fun at the show. Love to read a review for those who go.

To those asking, yes Palladino is still on bass, and is very very good at coming close to Entwhistle. Also, Zach Starky on drums (Ringo's son) does a pretty damn good Keith Moon (supposedly he imitated him growing up, vice his dad, lol).

The show was between above average and very good, on my scale. It took Daltry a few songs (and a few cigarettes) to warm his vocals up, it seemed. 'The Real Me' to start the show/album was pretty weak in terms of vocals. But by mid-show, he was belting it out. 5:15 was my personal fave from the Quadrophenia section. The rest of the band was great, and Pete actually sounded strong on vocals. His brother Simon took vocals for one of the songs and actually sounded better than either Daltry or Pete, in my opinion!

I really liked the idea of hearing an album, let alone a legendary album/rock opera, played start to finish as it was meant to be heard. In my opinion, the album, especially concept/theme albums is essentially dead in the commercially successful music industry today. Those types of albums, and mega-bands, are I'm afraid a thing of the past.

The encore with 5 or 6 of their non-quadrophenia hits was great. I would have loved to hear 'A Quick One While He's Away' but that is a bit more obscure. I've seen many bands cover Baba, but seeing the originators do it was really great.

On a separate note, I thought their opening band, Vintage Trouble, who only played 4 or 5 songs, was about the most energizing opening band I have EVER heard for a big name act. Never heard of them before, but their frontman (a CMU grad) was fantastic. Think James Brown plus the Raconteurs.
Last edited by Ben Klingston on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:13 pm

I read that Townsend enjoys playing Who songs without Entwistle, because John took up "so much space" with his sound. He misses him, of course, but now has a challenge to fill the empty space of these well-known songs. Pretty cool.

As for Entwistle's sound, Live at Leeds is a revelation.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:16 pm

On a separate note, I picked up the new (long-time coming) Gary Clark Jr album - Blak and Blu. I've had his Bright Lights EP (with the great 'Bright Lights' single) a while, but the album is so much more diverse and eclectic. It is so very blues-y, and goes from Clapton to Black Keys to R&B (think Usher maybe?). I am really really really enjoying the crap out of it.

Here's a 'trailer' for the album (warning for politicos - Obama is rocking out to him during a performance at the White House)

Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I read that Townsend enjoys playing Who songs without Entwistle, because John took up "so much space" with his sound. He misses him, of course, but now has a challenge to fill the empty space of these well-known songs. Pretty cool.

As for Entwistle's sound, Live at Leeds is a revelation.

The bass lead riff on My Generation is ridiculously innovative and wall-busting. I shake my head every time I hear it, and many of his underlying bass lines. They played a video of him soloing in amongst the live version of 5:15.... so choice.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:50 pm

viva la ben wrote:I like the new Deftones album much better than their last.

I don't know about that. Diamond eyes is incredible. Ill let you know tomorrow when I buy said album.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:The who fans got a very nice day weather wise. Have fun at the show. Love to read a review for those who go.

To those asking, yes Palladino is still on bass, and is very very good at coming close to Entwhistle. Also, Zach Starky on drums (Ringo's son) does a pretty damn good Keith Moon (supposedly he imitated him growing up, vice his dad, lol).

The show was between above average and very good, on my scale. It took Daltry a few songs (and a few cigarettes) to warm his vocals up, it seemed. 'The Real Me' to start the show/album was pretty weak in terms of vocals. But by mid-show, he was belting it out. 5:15 was my personal fave from the Quadrophenia section. The rest of the band was great, and Pete actually sounded strong on vocals. His brother Simon took vocals for one of the songs and actually sounded better than either Daltry or Pete, in my opinion!

I really liked the idea of hearing an album, let alone a legendary album/rock opera, played start to finish as it was meant to be heard. In my opinion, the album, especially concept/theme albums is essentially dead in the commercially successful music industry today. Those types of albums, and mega-bands, are I'm afraid a thing of the past.

The encore with 5 or 6 of their non-quadrophenia hits was great. I would have loved to hear 'A Quick One While He's Away' but that is a bit more obscure. I've seen many bands cover Baba, but seeing the originators do it was really great.

On a separate note, I thought their opening band, Vintage Trouble, who only played 4 or 5 songs, was about the most energizing opening band I have EVER heard for a big name act. Never heard of them before, but their frontman (a CMU grad) was fantastic. Think James Brown plus the Raconteurs.

Heard the upper deck at CEC was pretty empty. Actually surprised by that. This being such a WDVE/classic rock town.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:

Heard the upper deck at CEC was pretty empty. Actually surprised by that. This being such a WDVE/classic rock town.

It was about ~1/2 full, I'd say. I think 1) people knew it was mostly Quadrophenia, which only has a few well-known (radio-played) songs and not a 'greatest hits' show, which that DVE radio audience LOVES (think Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers concerts) and 2) It was a Sunday night - read: worknight.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:29 am

I call it the Steve Miller effect. Hits hits hits...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 am

Random rap post:
J. Cole's new single "Miss America" is pretty amazing.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 am

I find Lupe Fiascos New album tolerable
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 am

People that are into hard rock style, what genre would you consider these bands/songs?

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR